There is no AAC team in Rhode Island | Page 2 | The Boneyard

There is no AAC team in Rhode Island

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't worry. Most of the reporters from Texas, Tulsa, Florida, don't realize that Rhode Island isn't part of Connecticut.

Reaction Score
There aren't any AAC teams in NY either, but if they held it there Pal would be in full support.
Actually I would, but unlike Newport, New York City is the media capital of the planet. The league would get more coverage by accident in NY then they get in Rhode Island.

I would actually prefer one of the Texas cities, where football actually matters. Or Memphis for B-B-Q.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Actually I would, but unlike Newport, New York City is the media capital of the planet. The league would get more coverage by accident in NY then they get in Rhode Island.

I would actually prefer one of the Texas cities, where football actually matters. Or Memphis for B-B-Q.

No they wouldn't. The same media that goes to Newport would just go to NYC.

The vast majority of the national media isn't sitting in NYC waiting to cover whoever rolls into town. They are all over the country and travel to where the stories are. If you are a college football writer the last place you'd live is NYC. There is nothing college football related happening there.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I heard that Delaney is pushing for the B1G to hold their 2016 media day in Newport.

Of course he is. Why do you think they added Rutgers? Increased Newport exposure.

Reaction Score
Newport is a nice summer resort. Reporters enjoy it. Various conference bigwigs enjoy it. maybe it attracts the odd ESPN guy since it is close and a pleasant place to visit on a summers day. Look, you could hold the AAC media day in Manhattan New York or Manhattan Kansas or Manhattan Iowa. Attendance and coverage will be roughly equal.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
This might sound ridiculous but if we're going to move it we should do it live from the campus of ESPN. They have our TV contract and I don't know the details of it but I'd love for us to in the next contract negotiate some sort of deal for our media days that ensures a live broadcast of it on ESPNU. We agree to do it from the ESPN studios, our coaches are already on campus so we get them in to do a "carwash" type deal that the other conferences are doing, and we get more exposure for not only UConn but for the conference itself.

This is the kind of thinking we have to do (outside the box type thinking) in order to maintain relevancy. Relevancy has many components, and even though we won't make 40 million+ per team we can be creative in how we get games on TV and contracts going and things like that.

Edit: The AAC could even continue to do the first day in Newport and just do the media portion from ESPN in Bristol the following day.

Reaction Score
No they wouldn't. The same media that goes to Newport would just go to NYC.

The vast majority of the national media isn't sitting in NYC waiting to cover whoever rolls into town. They are all over the country and travel to where the stories are. If you are a college football writer the last place you'd live is NYC. There is nothing college football related happening there.

So, in your opinion, events in Newport are covered exactly the same amount as events in NYC? Do I have that right? I don't think that is supportable.

The reason is because reporters have to go to Newport to cover an event. If you hold a large event in NYC, you can spread your folks out, visit all kinds of TV and radio shows that don't exist in Newport? This includes both local and national shows. You can do the kind of outreach not available in Newport. You can "work" the city. You can talk to many times the number of reporters that go to Newport. You can produce multiples of earned media you could attract in Newport.

I'm sure any public relations professional in the city would back up my position. In fact, I can't imagine why anyone would argue with this obvious truth.

As to my contention that Texas would be a better venue. The event would be something new in Texas. Just its novelty would make it a bigger story.

Finally, the B-B-Q in Memphis is very good. I like the dry rub at Corky's but there are many excellent choices.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
There is entirely way too much energy being put into a thread about where a friggin' media day should be located. We are in the AAC for now. They could hold it in the International Space Station and it wouldn't create any buzz about the conference.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So, in your opinion, events in Newport are covered exactly the same amount as events in NYC? Do I have that right? I don't think that is supportable.

The reason is because reporters have to go to Newport to cover an event. If you hold a large event in NYC, you can spread your folks out, visit all kinds of TV and radio shows that don't exist in Newport? This includes both local and national shows. You can do the kind of outreach not available in Newport. You can "work" the city. You can talk to many times the number of reporters that go to Newport. You can produce multiples of earned media you could attract in Newport.

I'm sure any public relations professional in the city would back up my position. In fact, I can't imagine why anyone would argue with this obvious truth.

As to my contention that Texas would be a better venue. The event would be something new in Texas. Just its novelty would make it a bigger story.

Finally, the B-B-Q in Memphis is very good. I like the dry rub at Corky's but there are many excellent choices.

Honestly I think more media want to go to Newport than the city. People leave the city in the summer to go places like Newport.

The AAC media days are the AAC media days no matter where they are held. The amount of national interest in the league doesn't change because of where the event is held.

Texas sucks in the summer. The novelty would wear off instantly.

This might be news to you but you can do any show from anywhere in the country. The bigger issue is that national shows have no interest in talking about AAC football. This might come as a surprise to you but only the fans of the individual programs give a damn about it.

If they held CUSA media day in Washington would you pay any attention? Of course not.

Reaction Score
Honestly I think more media want to go to Newport than the city. People leave the city in the summer to go places like Newport.

The AAC media days are the AAC media days no matter where they are held. The amount of national interest in the league doesn't change because of where the event is held.

Texas sucks in the summer. The novelty would wear off instantly.
It's not a question of where people want to go. It may very well be true that folks prefer to go to Newport.

The question is where can you drum up the most coverage. This event needs to worked. It becomes more important if you are non-entity like the AAC. You need to fish where the fish are. You need to be smart. To make a splash. You need to find news hooks. You need to create stories, to do things that are newsworthy. Put a football field in Times Square. Hold a press conference on top of the Empire State Building. Make people notice you. There a a thousand more opportunities to make contact with media entities than in Newport.

The only media in Newport are the ones who choose to come along. They will go anywhere the event is held.

Reaction Score
Regarding Texas for a media event, When George W was president, the media hated it when they had to follow him to his ranch. The media loved George H.W. when he vacationed in Kennebunkport. They also loved Clinton & Obama as they vacation in Martha's Vineyard.
It's summertime. The media loves vacation spots. Newport is ideal, even though Rogues Island sucks the other 10 months of the year.

Reaction Score
This is Palatine.

Why the heck is the media day stuck in that media backwater? It shouldn't have been there in the BE days. To put it there for the AAC is freaking ridiculous.

He is in a "media" related field. But ... I come back to watching this for 15 years: the MEDIA love Newport. They do. You get people going to the Big East Media Day because its in Newport & they like the lobster/clams. They like playing dinky golf & the atmosphere with these coaches.

I expect the "American" changes this ... but I think it makes sense to run these "Contra" Media events. Everyone of the others does a Florida thing (except the Chicago or SF). Newport has contrast and it sets the table. (as best as it could be)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'd love a list of specific media members who would cover NYC but not Newport. This should be good.

Reaction Score
On second thought, if we had it in Memphis we could read tweets from Ed D and John Silver complaining about the heat. That might be entertaining.

Reaction Score
The media has options in Newport that they can't get elsewhere; Tennis Hall of Fame (is Pat Summerrall enshrined?), polo matches, hob nobbing with vacationing yacht moguls. (They've also been brainwashed to think that the America's Cup is still put on off the Newport coastline).

I Kid, I Kid: Newport is a very accommodating vacation spot as others have mentioned. The media love it, especially those from other areas of the country. I don't mind it as a getaway destination. The Providence Conference headquarters, however, are another story. It screams minor league, & I'm beyond disbelief that the Conference
honchos & the member administrators can't or won't grasp that concept. Oh, wait.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Tuberville is narrow-minded workaholic. (and like Palatine) He misses the bigger picture. Having continuity works ... at least at this moment. I can't imagine this being better in Memphis - yuck.

Or Cinncinati

Reaction Score
Let's do it in Saratoga ...

Add betting on horses to the lobsters, clams, golf, music.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't think out matters all that much from the exposure perspective. My issue with it is different. Why contribute to RI economy when their no longer is a member institution there? Rent out Harkness state park for the day. Do your clambake on the lawn and do the media portions in the mansion. Move the offices down to Bristol or buy space near the planned Rockcats ballpark. I'd rather see that money go to Connecticut. Still keeps our Northeast roots and had better access to the media centers in Bristol or NYC.

Reaction Score
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that everyone suggesting Norwalk, Hartford, or Waterford has never worked in marketing or event planning.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't think out matters all that much from the exposure perspective. My issue with it is different. Why contribute to RI economy when their no longer is a member institution there? Rent out Harkness state park for the day. Do your clambake on the lawn and do the media portions in the mansion. Move the offices down to Bristol or buy space near the planned Rockcats ballpark. I'd rather see that money go to Connecticut. Still keeps our Northeast roots and had better access to the media centers in Bristol or NYC.

With that argument... why would it be CT and not PA or FL or TX or OK or LA or NC?

It's 2014 you don't need physical access to anything.

I don't know how many people work at the AAC office, but why uproot all their lives and make them go through the hassle of moving for literally zero benefit beyond Pal and Pal types feeling better about the zip code.

Reaction Score
There is no AAC Team in CT.

Hopefully that will be true someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members