Their Number One, the Big Easy, and Philander Smith | The Boneyard

Their Number One, the Big Easy, and Philander Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Fans of highly successful schools like UConn always need to remember that their gaudy records are built upon the backs of less successful schools that in turn feed on even less successful schools and on and on until you get to the bottom level, which this year means floating down to New Orleans and a Privateers team that is 0-19, alone in its winlessness, and pretty likely to keep their unblemished record down to the bitter end. And their opponents get to breathe a sigh of relief as the go up against the Big Easy.

But there is also a group of schools just one rung above New Orleans who have managed to get their number one and get off the schneid earlier this year. The FDU, Air Force, Arkansas Pine-Bluff, and Texas Arlington squads can thank Columbia, North Dakota State, Philander Smith, and Texas A&M CC (that's Corpus Christi, not community college) respectively for helping them out. There is also a Massachusetts-Lowell team that was in a winless state until Jan 11 when it had the good fortune to run into its equally hapless America East conference mate UMBC to pick up their first win and then continued their juggernaut ways by crushing Mt. Ida (I'd a rather not go there).

But the interesting case here is Arkansas Pine-Bluff, which started off its season with a big 19 point win and should have shut things down right there before it went into a 16 game slide, though it kept within 33 points of Nebraska. But for some reason I had never heard of their first game opponent, Philander Smith, and I naturally wondered if their nickname was the Philanderers (actually it's the Panthers). Turns out it is an NAIA division school in Little Rock that is a black university with a focus on social justice studies. Among its alumni are former Globetrotter player and coach Geese Ausbie and Green Bay Packer old great Elijah Pitts. The Panthers WCBB team has played 3 Division 1 opponents this year to provide them the insurance against a winless season, but they are also good enough to post a 12-11 record overall so far on the year.

I'm not sure how many degrees of WCBB separation it takes to get from UConn to teams like Arkansas-Pine Bluff and Philander Smith, but as the saying goes, we're all in this together.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But even crummyness doesn't necessarily last forever. Back in the 2007-08 season, Fordham went 0-29.
So far this season they are quite respectable (17-4 overall, 6-2 good for 3rd in the A-10). Heck, even
Seton Hall is 13-6 this year and 4-4 in the Big East.

Maybe in a few years Arkansas Pine Bluff will contend in what Sagarin rates as the country's worst
conference (SWAC). Then again, maybe not. :(

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Arkansas Pine Bluff has managed to lose to some truly awful teams, including Texas Tech and Arizona. And I can say that because I was at the Arizona / Texas Tech game, so I have a good idea how well they both play.

OTH, I have a lot more hope for my PAC12 bottom-feeding Wildcats than a team that is in the SWAC.

Reaction Score
Arkansas Pine Bluff has managed to lose to some truly awful teams . . .

. . . like Alcorn State which was beaten by Illinois (at or near the bottom of the Big 10) by a score of 112-28!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
But even crummyness doesn't necessarily last forever. Back in the 2007-08 season, Fordham went 0-29.
So far this season they are quite respectable (17-4 overall, 6-2 good for 3rd in the A-10). Heck, even
Seton Hall is 13-6 this year and 4-4 in the Big East.

Maybe in a few years Arkansas Pine Bluff will contend in what Sagarin rates as the country's worst
conference (SWAC). Then again, maybe not. :(
Yeah, the Huskies are now in their 40th season, but back in 1974-75 that Ark-PB team was a UConn team that started off its first season with two biggish wins in early December and then after the season resumed 41 days later lost its last 8 games of a 10 contest schedule. Still a ways in the future back then were any dreams of even playing a ranked team, as UConn finally did in March of 1978 against Queens, or even far more distantly of beating a ranked team as the Huskies eventually did in December 1990 when they took out #2 Auburn. From such small dreams are NCs finally made of.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The FDU, Air Force, Arkansas Pine-Bluff, and Texas Arlington squads can thank Columbia, North Dakota State, Philander Smith, and Texas A&M CC (that's Corpus Christi, not community college) respectively for helping them out.

Were UCONN's very own Jean Clark transferred to back in the late 90's. And had a decent career down there. #1 and #2 on the Islanders list of Blocks in a season (with 55 and 51 respectively). Also in the top 10 of career scoring and rebounding avg.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Were UCONN's very own Jean Clark transferred to back in the late 90's. And had a decent career down there. #1 and #2 on the Islanders list of Blocks in a season (with 55 and 51 respectively). Also in the top 10 of career scoring and rebounding avg.
Despite that bad road loss at Texas-Arlington, the Islanders are not that bad a team this year as they fell back to 10-10 last night in a close road loss. I'm sure Texas A&M CC has a stellar cross country team.

Last edited:

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
Fans of highly successful schools like UConn always need to remember that their gaudy records are built upon the backs of less successful schools that in turn feed on even less successful schools and on and on until you get to the bottom level, which this year means floating down to New Orleans and a Privateers team that is 0-19, alone in its winlessness, and pretty likely to keep their unblemished record down to the bitter end. And their opponents get to breathe a sigh of relief as the go up against the Big Easy.

But there is also a group of schools just one rung above New Orleans who have managed to get their number one and get off the schneid earlier this year. The FDU, Air Force, Arkansas Pine-Bluff, and Texas Arlington squads can thank Columbia, North Dakota State, Philander Smith, and Texas A&M CC (that's Corpus Christi, not community college) respectively for helping them out. There is also a Massachusetts-Lowell team that was in a winless state until Jan 11 when it had the good fortune to run into its equally hapless America East conference mate UMBC to pick up their first win and then continued their juggernaut ways by crushing Mt. Ida (I'd a rather not go there).

But the interesting case here is Arkansas Pine-Bluff, which started off its season with a big 19 point win and should have shut things down right there before it went into a 16 game slide, though it kept within 33 points of Nebraska. But for some reason I had never heard of their first game opponent, Philander Smith, and I naturally wondered if their nickname was the Philanderers (actually it's the Panthers). Turns out it is an NAIA division school in Little Rock that is a black university with a focus on social justice studies. Among its alumni are former Globetrotter player and coach Geese Ausbie and Green Bay Packer old great Elijah Pitts. The Panthers WCBB team has played 3 Division 1 opponents this year to provide them the insurance against a winless season, but they are also good enough to post a 12-11 record overall so far on the year.

I'm not sure how many degrees of WCBB separation it takes to get from UConn to teams like Arkansas-Pine Bluff and Philander Smith, but as the saying goes, we're all in this together.
Your most amusing message (1 out of 20 isn't bad) reminded me of this poem from the gnome's hall of fame.

Big fleas have little fleas
Upon their backs to bite them.
And little fleas have lesser fleas
and so, ad infinitum.

Of course, I'm pretty large for a gnome.

Reaction Score
Why do I love Philander Smith? The produced the first African-American AAU All-American: Missouri ("Big Mo") Arledge, 1955

Or maybe you just love the fact that the nickname for Philander Smith sports teams is The Philanderers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom