The View From Section 241 | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, one thing you can't say about this team is that it doesn't have guts. It was totally outmatched physically last night, and yet for 50 minutes, miraculously, there we were within 3 points. No one made mistakes. No turnovers. Almost no penalties. No horrific decisions. Just get pushed around for minutes at a time, and then someone make a play on D or, shockingly, make a drive on O, and there we were with a chance to win on the road against a team that had beaten Boise and Nebraska. I like this team's guts. However, if you are being out-talented and are trying to win a game on guts, you can't do stupid things. Remember the Obi gamble against Army for no good reason that let them back in the game? You have to know time and score. Shirreffs was going to get obliterated there (yet again) -- fine. It was a three point game and there was plenty of time yet. Throw it away or go down. But he tried making a really, really low percentage play there at a time it didn't have to be made. We show more guts at down 10 by our offense standing up and driving down the field to get us back to a one score deficit, and then our coach, yet again, goes for the low percentage play. (By the way -- Puyol's two kicks today each would have tied the score at Mizzou.) Yes, it could have worked and yes, but for the Adams penalty it wouldn't have mattered, but in football as in life, if you don't play the odds you will lose more than you have to. And I need to see this staff stop making long shot bets left and right and play the odds. But we do get the 3 and out, and then, on the dead ball, a fifth year senior captain gets whistled for a dead ball foul. I don't want to go overboard beating Adams up, because my guess is that as he kicked the ball he didn't think/know he was doing anything wrong. But a dead ball penalty in the 4th Q, for the second time in 5 games, could have been the difference between winning and losing. Until you are better as a team, position by position, you can't make this type of mental mistake. We made three back to back to back, and there went our chance of what would have been against all odds a huge win.

Before offense, defense and specials, a word about coaching. The TD play, once again, showed that the staff game after game can come up with a play that can hit for us without any individual having to make an outstanding play. But the inability to get out of the huddle on a timely basis repeatedly, which was not a problem earlier in the year, was exremely disappointing.

On offense what we saw, as we saw in Missouri, is that our OL is just overwhelmed playing BCS bowl team level competition and that limits what anyone else can do. And that was the crux of our problem last night. Having said that, a lot of the issues were coming from blitzes where, reminiscent of the GDL era, the problem was less the physical inability to make a block and more players not understanding whom they were supposed to block. Other than the one brain fart you can't blame the QB for anything last night, because he was constantly under pressure, but far too many Shirreffs carries versus either getting the ball out quickly or just handing it off to our TBs. Arkeel looked really, really good. It will be a shame if we can't put a competent OL together before he is out of eligibility. Thomas didn't make two catches that were there for him, including the long one early that could have changed the flow of the game. When our OL gives BEals or Noel or Arkeel a chance, they have to make the play. I think people here overrate our TEs somewhat, but we still have to use them. The good news is we probably don't see a defense again this year on the level of Mizzou's and BYU's, so hopefully even with our limitations it can now start producing better results. The bottome line is we start 1 senior, 3 juniors and 7 sophomores. They will get better over time. But no one can answer how fast and how much.

Real solid effort by all three kickers last night, and really solid effort by both punt and kickoff coverage units as well. On the onside kick, McAllister needs to take out the Cougar who moved to the ball. He wasn't going to be able to turn and get it, but he needed to think about keeping his opponent from getting it. I've given up on having anything good to see about our return units this year, but good for Nick Vitale for earning the job fair catching punts.

Unlike others, I thought the D played really well last night until the last few minutes. Yes, we gave up a boatload of yards, but that's not the name of the game. We totally shut down their running game for 3 quarters, before tiring. And, while we gave up passing yards, we kept everything in front of us and, for the most part, did a solid job limiting yards after catch. Our problem actually stopping (as opposed to containing) a good passing team is our lack of a pash rush. We had solid push up the middle all game from our bigs, but the moment their QB leaves the pocket he has all day to throw because we don't have anyone who can catch him once he's moving outside with any speed at all. That is our limitation for now. Myers, Adeyami, Fatukasi and CAmpenni (who did really well between them) aren't going to get faster, Stewart is never going to be a great blitzer and CArezzola has disappeared since we upped the level of our competition.

So, what does that tell us? That the fact that we started 2-0 meant to much to people (it meant we were better than the last two years, but that's not saying much), and the fact that we've lost three games to teams better than us -- one of which we were in for 60 minutes and one of which we were in for 50 minutes -- doesn't tell us we aren't much better than the last two years (although it does tell us we aren't back to the Edsall years either). The next two games will tell us a lot more about where we are, and how much improvement at winning games there will be last year to this. Win them both and we are clearly in the right direction and will just need one upset to sneak to .500, which, for me, would be very unexpected. Split them and we're most likely not bowling, but still looking to show with one or two more wins and not being destroyed in losses that we are clearly moving forward. Lose them both, and then Palatine can push to have Coach P back. So the predestined part of the season is over. Now we start playing teams that we'll beat or lose to on the field because our programs are or are not doing better than their peers. The jury is out.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you don't have a functioning offensive line you don't have a functioning football team.

Everything else is trivial compared to the dire situation on the offensive line.

Until it's fixed they aren't going to beat good teams.

Reaction Score
Carrezola had tough game last night. Their tackles had their way with him. One play stood out where Walsh came in untouched on a blitz and while he hurried the throw, he didn't really come close to getting a sack.

The lack of foot speed from our rushers is a problem. Gone are the days of Sio Moore, Trevor do Williams, Cody Brown, Julius Williams, Jesse Joseph etc. Kids who got consistent pressure and sacks without the blitz. Teddy Jennings and the other tall kid from Ohio were part of that as well.

We will have to wait to see some redshirts come off to see if there is help on the roster.

Reaction Score
Its a good point about playing the odds. I'll just say that in football, its not always the case that the highest percentage decisions in giving you the chances to win, appear to be the most normal and accepted plays. Hindsight is always 20/20, and nobody but the coaches on the field can really haveva sense of what the feeling of a team may and what kinds of risk reward is factoring into real time game decisions when it comes to the all important thing of shifting momentum in a game and riding momentum. Missouri, was a poor coaching choice at the end of game. I'm not sure, but I suspect that coaching choices were not as poor in costing us a chance to win in thus game. One thing for sure, is that Bob Diaco has the pukse of his team. He's a sophomore coach, and I like his aggressive coaching style he's shown this season, and I want him to get better at it, remain aggressive, and make good risk reward decisions that are aggressive.

Thanks for write up bl.

Reaction Score
Matt D. had a real bad night blocking. He was the cause for two of the sacks. He whiffed on a safety blitz up the middle and a corner blitz from his left side. Both were his men to block but he just missed them.

Reaction Score
If you don't have a functioning offensive line you don't have a functioning football team.

Everything else is trivial compared to the dire situation on the offensive line.

Reaction Score
Carl - Being aggressive is fine, but risking the game (down 7 with momentum on our side) with almost 9 minutes left is dumb. Only if HCBD was thinking onside kick, we recover and score with 4 minutes left and then we onside kick AGAIN. If that was his plan then fine.

BL your comments, "We show more guts at down 10 by our offense standing up and driving down the field to get us back to a one score deficit, and then our coach, yet again, goes for the low percentage play. (By the way -- Puyol's two kicks today each would have tied the score at Mizzou.) Yes, it could have worked and yes, but for the Adams penalty it wouldn't have mattered, but in football as in life, if you don't play the odds you will lose more than you have to. And I need to see this staff stop making long shot bets left and right and play the odds."

Hopefully this will be taken to heart by the coaching staff. I don't know if I could take another extremely low percentage ploy against a conference opponent that takes us out of the game. Time for the staff to realize we can beat teams, challenge them to play.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score

Yup, and either the play before or after he was called for a penalty on a long gain. Cost us 27 yds of field position in those 2 plays alone.

Reaction Score
Carl - Being aggressive is fine, but risking the game (down 7 with momentum on our side) with almost 9 minutes left is dumb. Only if HCBD was thinking onside kick, we recover and score with 4 minutes left and then we onside kick AGAIN. If that was his plan then fine.

BL your comments, "We show more guts at down 10 by our offense standing up and driving down the field to get us back to a one score deficit, and then our coach, yet again, goes for the low percentage play. (By the way -- Puyol's two kicks today each would have tied the score at Mizzou.) Yes, it could have worked and yes, but for the Adams penalty it wouldn't have mattered, but in football as in life, if you don't play the odds you will lose more than you have to. And I need to see this staff stop making long shot bets left and right and play the odds."

Hopefully this will be taken to heart by the coaching staff. I don't know if I could take another extremely low percentage ploy against a conference opponent that takes us out of the game. Time for the staff to realize we can beat teams, challenge them to play.

Hindsight always 20/20. Did they score off the onside kick possesion or did we stop? Legit question. I don't know

Reaction Score

Hindsight always 20/20. Did they score off the onside kick possesion or did we stop? Legit question. I don't know

Reaction Score

They did score a TD on the onside kick possession (but only after we got a 3 and out and then had Adams penalized for kicking the ball after the third down play).

Reaction Score
It doesn't sound to je like the onsides kick was a bad decision. Its a call that regardless of outcome syss, "I want to be in control of this game.", and unlike sending the kucking unit out against mizz, instead of regular offense, this one certainly dudnt cost the game. Sorry for typos.

Reaction Score

Poor blocking TEs and RBs too

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I think we have the "good character" guys. I'm really happy and proud about that.

But that can only take us so far. Even when they reach their maximum potential, we're looking at 7-5 or 8-4. At some point we'll need guys with character who are also bigger and faster than our opponents.

Having said that, I'd be like a kid in a candy store if we were 8-4 anytime soon.

Reaction Score
Diaco is putting this team in position to succeed, and he appears this season to be consistently making decisions to put the players in the driver's seat to control the outcome of the game. A player can ask nothing more of a coach. A coach needs to make sure the players are capable of doing what their asked to do.

I am on board the Diaco love machine. I want coninued imorovement and I want them to bring thr civil war trophy home on the plane next weekend.

Reaction Score
THE TRUTH- We have a culture of losing. The institutional memory of winning is long gone. At our best we are heroic losers (they fought like hell but came up short, a couple of bad breaks, if only the ref, if only he caught it, if only). At our worst we are what our record says.

This is not to say the team has no character. On the contrary, you can see the grit and fight in them. No, there something more ethereal yet essential that has escaped... the ability or knack to win. It shows itself in the smallest of things...the extra yard, the clutch 1st down, the extra long punt, the timely sack or strip...it's the small clutch things done at the right time. Or said differently, it is the missed coverage, the missed block, the route cut short, the dropped pass, the short punt at all the wrong times that prevents winning.

I find this program exasperating at times. It's takes a bit of magic to get out of the habit of losing, and thus far Diaco has failed to pull any rabbits out of the hat.

Reaction Score
THE TRUTH- We have a culture of losing. The institutional memory of winning is long gone. At our best we are heroic losers (they fought like hell but came up short, a couple of bad breaks, if only the ref, if only he caught it, if only). At our worst we are what our record says.

This is not to say the team has no character. On the contrary, you can see the grit and fight in them. No, there something more ethereal yet essential that has escaped... the ability or knack to win. It shows itself in the smallest of things...the extra yard, the clutch 1st down, the extra long punt, the timely sack or strip...it's the small clutch things done at the right time. Or said differently, it is the missed coverage, the missed block, the route cut short, the dropped pass, the short punt at all the wrong times that prevents winning.

I find this program exasperating at times. It's takes a bit of magic to get out of the habit of losing, and thus far Diaco has failed to pull any rabbits out of the hat.

We're 5 games in, with the conference wide open. Let's not start philosophizering too much. It is what it is. A 2-3 record, and a growing team with fight, with a good leader who is in process of learning his job at the same curve and pace as the players, and showing consistent improvement. I think we we're 2-3 or 2-4 before the Fiesta run. Unlike the past few seasons I continue to have positive outlook, look for improvemenf and expect better -not the case in the past.

Dumb mistakes can't be tolerated though. This season is so very much different and better through 5 than last several, for me.

Reaction Score
We're 5 games in, with the conference wide open. Let's not start philosophizering too much. It is what it is. A 2-3 record, and a growing team with fight, with a good leader who is in process of learning his job at the same curve and pace as the players, and showing consistent improvement. I think we we're 2-3 or 2-4 before the Fiesta run. Unlike the past few seasons I continue to have positive outlook, look for improvemenf and expect better -not the case in the past.

Dumb mistakes can't be tolerated though. This season is so very much different and better through 5 than last several, for me.
Yes, they are better, no doubt. I think inertia of losing is just very very hard to overcome. The hump to get to the other side of the w/l column is much harder than it appears.

Reaction Score
Yes, they are better, no doubt. I think inertia of losing is just very very hard to overcome. The hump to get to the other side of the w/l column is much harder than it appears.

No argument from me there. It can be said that this game of football, the difference between winning and lising is a matter of inches. :)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah and in 300 yards difference of total offense there are 10,800 inches.

Just a few more inches!

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
As was previously said, without an offensive line, you have nothing. Our playmakers can't make plays without someone giving them the time to make them or a hole to go through.

Levy has moments of consecutive brain farts every game ( penalty and then taking a play off). Guys do not know how to pick up blitzes or overloaded sides. Some of that is on Shireffs, some of that is on the line and some of it on the backs and tight ends. The line is still at Level 101 where the rest of the team is at 200 level. Until this changes, we will struggle to win.

Reaction Score
O-Line had one of its worst outings of the year. D line put no rush on QB, thus CB's having to play off their men.

Diaco betting on TO's by young QB and he almost pulled it off.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score

Carl: Sorry but thanks! This just made me laugh hard, which is a good thing after all the commiserating over the last 18 hrs. Anyone remember Slip Mahoney and Sach Jones from the Bowery Boys? Geez, I'm not as young as I used to be.

Reaction Score
Folks need to get some perspective. We just finished a stretch of three games against top 30-35 level competition. We were very competitive and the improvements over last season are clear. The defense is playing very well. Diaco is bend don't break, so if you want blitzing every down you are going to be disappointed. We don't have the athletes for it anyway. Stewart can't make the runs and while I think Joseph will be a good one, this is about the weakest set of LBs we have had in some time. Diaco's defensive strategy has been very good.

We still can't run the ball to keep defenses honest. We don't have the OL and I don't think we have the backs. Running Newsome as a workhorse probably won't work given his size. It would not shock me if Johnson is nursing an injury, because he is totally ineffective.

I totally agree with Biz that we will learn the degree of progress over the remainder of the season. I thought before the season a bowl was quite a stretch and I actually see it as more realistic now, but still unlikely.

We are coming from the abyss and making progress. This group lines up another 2-3 wins this season and plays competitively throughout, that's real progress. That's a perspective that is realistic and might make the season more enjoyable for some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom