The View From Section 241 -- Nova | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- Nova

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I could have left the stadium last night in a foul mood. It took me a full hour to get from Wethersfield to my parking space (don't ask, but it included my friend using "Wayz" or whatever and having it dump me in downtown Hartford), forcing me to rush the tailgate and be ten minutes late heading in. Or because at the end of the tailgate my car battery died, and I missed almost all the first quarter waiting for Laz to send me the guys with a battery for a jump. Or because the stadium was a third empty for opening night. Or because I walked into the building with us a 7 point dog to an FCS team, and I actually was emotionally involved in trying to get a win against an FCS opponent that I would have taken for granted in the past. Or because of the flaws I saw on the field. But I didn't. I walked out of the Rent happy as could be at 1-0. Why?

Because there is no point crying over the spilled milk that was the last round of conference realignment or P tearing this program apart or the weirdness that was HCBD and his staff last year. That is all done. The question is whether the end of last year was finally rock bottom, and I could at least focus on the climb back up again, even if it's long and painful. And I walked out thinking the answer to that question was a resounding YES. Compare the game to either the loss to Towson, two years ago, or the horrifically narrow win against Stony Brook last year. Our play was lightyears better, as I'll get into. It was a football team playing a crisp football game against a team that would have beaten us handily a year ago. And we're now 1-0 and moving on.

On defense, yeah, they made some plays against us, but teams always make plays -- especially ones with good QBs. We contained both their points and total yardage, and did it playing beyond the entire two deep to keep fresh on a warm night. Until the meltdown at the end by Fatukasi, I thought he, Campenni and Adeyami did great in the middle. The pass rush -- only sending 4 -- was decent, especially when Carrezola was playing. The corners weren't tested all night, but really came up and hit. We got soft in the middle of our zones against passes last night, but that's tough to stop against a QB who can extend plays with his feet. Stewart may be the best athlete on D -- I just wish he understood what it means to set an edge and keep leverage instead of moving out of position looking to make a play all the time. But the numbers count, and 13 points allowed and barely 300 yards allowed against that offense was a very good performance. The D forced 2 turnovers, had few big mistakes (the 3rd and 20 scramble notwithstanding) and no penalties until the dead ball foul at the end. I can take that performance, and I think we can build from there.

On offense, there is still a long way to go but if you're only gaining 300 yards against an FCS opponent, you at least have to limit mistakes and we did. Only two penalties (not counting the deadball taunting call on RonJon) and no procedures. None. Only one turnover, and it was a flukey one rather than a terrible decision by a QB or a lack of concentration by a TB. I expected better pass blocking at the edges given that Gifford -- who was our best OT starting last year -- couldn't even crack the two deep, and while the performance was far from great it was levels and levels above where we were the last two years. The interior needs more of a push consistently, but they made no mistakes and came through in the 4th Q when we needed them. And Shirreffs may, by the end of three years, be the best QB we've had since Orlovsky. Wasn't flash, but extended plays, hit 60% of his throws for really good ypa, had few mistakes and should only get better as he plays. Yes, the O is behind the D, but with a team with only 1 senior starter what did you expect? Give the line a year, and Shirreffs some experience, and I would expect a big jump forward in '16.

Not much to say about specials, as there was not much kicking last night. Puyols may have a short leash before Tarbutt has his job. Wain was good. Kickoff coverage was disappointing and needs to improve quickly.

And the coaches showed that they are trying to win this year, and are capable. Way, way too early to throw praise at them, or determine if all the sacrifices made to last year's record were necessary or worth it, but the staff had the team prepared -- prepared in the weight room, prepared in attitude and prepared to eliminate mistakes. And while fans will never think a game was called perfectly, we certainly weren't giving up points and yards to the coaches on the other side. In fact, the only thing I would beat on them for was the not one but two fourth quarter dead ball lack of poise personal fouls by RonJon and Fatukasi, either of which could have cost us the game. But the players and coaches came through and it didn't.

I refuse to talk about the season until after the Army game, but any thoughts at bowling required a 2-0 start, so let's take care of business and get revenge for last year against Army. Saturday game, better known opponent and Army bringing people and maybe we can get the attendance right back over the 30k level. If you know anyone to convince to buy tickets and come, do so.

Good, hopeful start. Not just to this year but the future. We still have a long, long way to go to get back to where we were pre-P, but you have to start somewhere, and for the first time I'm allowing myself to believe that we've started.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I could have left the stadium last night in a foul mood. It took me a full hour to get from Wethersfield to my parking space (don't ask, but it included my friend using "Wayz" or whatever and having it dump me in downtown Hartford), forcing me to rush the tailgate and be ten minutes late heading in. Or because at the end of the tailgate my car battery died, and I missed almost all the first quarter waiting for Laz to send me the guys with a battery for a jump. Or because the stadium was a third empty for opening night. Or because I walked into the building with us a 7 point dog to an FCS team, and I actually was emotionally involved in trying to get a win against an FCS opponent that I would have taken for granted in the past. Or because of the flaws I saw on the field. But I didn't. I walked out of the Rent happy as could be at 1-0. Why?

Because there is no point crying over the spilled milk that was the last round of conference realignment or P tearing this program apart or the weirdness that was HCBD and his staff last year. That is all done. The question is whether the end of last year was finally rock bottom, and I could at least focus on the climb back up again, even if it's long and painful. And I walked out thinking the answer to that question was a resounding YES. Compare the game to either the loss to Towson, two years ago, or the horrifically narrow win against Stony Brook last year. Our play was lightyears better, as I'll get into. It was a football team playing a crisp football game against a team that would have beaten us handily a year ago. And we're now 1-0 and moving on.

On defense, yeah, they made some plays against us, but teams always make plays -- especially ones with good QBs. We contained both their points and total yardage, and did it playing beyond the entire two deep to keep fresh on a warm night. Until the meltdown at the end by Fatukasi, I thought he, Campenni and Adeyami did great in the middle. The pass rush -- only sending 4 -- was decent, especially when Carrezola was playing. The corners weren't tested all night, but really came up and hit. We got soft in the middle of our zones against passes last night, but that's tough to stop against a QB who can extend plays with his feet. Stewart may be the best athlete on D -- I just wish he understood what it means to set an edge and keep leverage instead of moving out of position looking to make a play all the time. But the numbers count, and 13 points allowed and barely 300 yards allowed against that offense was a very good performance. The D forced 2 turnovers, had few big mistakes (the 3rd and 20 scramble notwithstanding) and no penalties until the dead ball foul at the end. I can take that performance, and I think we can build from there.

On offense, there is still a long way to go but if you're only gaining 300 yards against an FCS opponent, you at least have to limit mistakes and we did. Only two penalties (not counting the deadball taunting call on RonJon) and no procedures. None. Only one turnover, and it was a flukey one rather than a terrible decision by a QB or a lack of concentration by a TB. I expected better pass blocking at the edges given that Gifford -- who was our best OT starting last year -- couldn't even crack the two deep, and while the performance was far from great it was levels and levels above where we were the last two years. The interior needs more of a push consistently, but they made no mistakes and came through in the 4th Q when we needed them. And Shirreffs may, by the end of three years, be the best QB we've had since Orlovsky. Wasn't flash, but extended plays, hit 60% of his throws for really good ypa, had few mistakes and should only get better as he plays. Yes, the O is behind the D, but with a team with only 1 senior starter what did you expect? Give the line a year, and Shirreffs some experience, and I would expect a big jump forward in '16.

Not much to say about specials, as there was not much kicking last night. Puyols may have a short leash before Tarbutt has his job. Wain was good. Kickoff coverage was disappointing and needs to improve quickly.

And the coaches showed that they are trying to win this year, and are capable. Way, way too early to throw praise at them, or determine if all the sacrifices made to last year's record were necessary or worth it, but the staff had the team prepared -- prepared in the weight room, prepared in attitude and prepared to eliminate mistakes. And while fans will never think a game was called perfectly, we certainly weren't giving up points and yards to the coaches on the other side. In fact, the only thing I would beat on them for was the not one but two fourth quarter dead ball lack of poise personal fouls by RonJon and Fatukasi, either of which could have cost us the game. But the players and coaches came through and it didn't.

I refuse to talk about the season until after the Army game, but any thoughts at bowling required a 2-0 start, so let's take care of business and get revenge for last year against Army. Saturday game, better known opponent and Army bringing people and maybe we can get the attendance right back over the 30k level. If you know anyone to convince to buy tickets and come, do so.

Good, hopeful start. Not just to this year but the future. We still have a long, long way to go to get back to where we were pre-P, but you have to start somewhere, and for the first time I'm allowing myself to believe that we've started.
NICE JOB BL!!!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Well said, BL. The W certainly wasn't statement level, but I think we all saw what you did: improvement and reason for hope. A lot of stuff to clean up, and a few things to eliminate (the personal foul calls will be VERY costly if that garbage continues), but a really good start.

Remember Yankee Stadium.

Reaction Score
Nice summary. It was a great win last night. Even though it was against a FCS opponent, Nova is no joke and they could easily beat many other FBS teams. Their QB is good. Our offense is still work in progress, but I am liking the new QB and his overall composure and decision making. We need to get Newsome in space more often. Johnson is better back running from the running formation but Newsome can really get yards if he is in the open. Our TEs can really be a weapon if we get them the ball more often. It was good to see many young players on the field making plays. Myers did well last night and our D was pretty solid for the most part.

Reaction Score
The Newsome TD was an awesome call. As soon as he received it he was guaranteed to get to the 10 just because of the scheme and the positioning of the defense. I give the receivers the credit for the last ten yards because of their downfield blocking. Downfield blocking has been absent the last few years and it was great to see.

Reaction Score
I am always looking for your post. I guess it's because you so completely summarize the game in a very perceptive post. Sorry about your battery dying and the gps map screw up. My Toyota Highlander map sent me to routes I did not not existed.

Reaction Score
Thank you BL. Ron Johnsons penalty was quite bullshyt. The whole eating signal thing or whatever the hell he was doing is done all over the place. Diaco made these dudes bring a table leg into the stadium so they could build a table to eat. Ron was just eating.

Throwing a punch is a different story...

Reaction Score
As always, a good springboard for discussion BL. Highlight on that 2nd to last paragraph. The best thing about last night is that it should not dissuade fans from coming to the Army game.

Reaction Score
I was pretty pleased with the crowd, too, for the most part. I wish it was about 60% larger, but most of the crowd was attentive, engaged and supportive -- and all of those boos you heard at the end of the half were directed straight at Diaco (not at any player), from my perspective.

The students brought their A game, as well. Also, no one gave you any crap about standing up on third down, etc.

Reaction Score
I just walked out with the feeling that we dominated the game - especially in the second half. Without the penalty they get 9 points on the board. I think that it was 4th down. Also for the last 5 years we were always dominated in the second half. Kudos to the coaches for whatever they said or did at halftime. Dominating a second half - wow

At half we all looked at each other and said "here we go again". But. the boys came through when it counted. Noel Thomas is fast and so is Newsome. They made guys miss. The rumors on Carrezola coming out of camp were true. He is a sophomore.

Who know maybe Villanova is the real deal and we beat a very good team. Time well tell. Fortunes change quickly.

You would think beating Nova would not bring me any excitement. But, I am ready for next week. So I'll feel good for at least a week.

Reaction Score
I thought we won because BL, Jimmy Serrano and I all sat in the same row. In aggregate we have the power of 3 Makers Muppets.

I wish I had known about BL. I would've loved to bust his balls in person.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Aside from generally watching and cheering on UConn football, I enjoyed seeing two things last night:
  • Seeing three units that were more poised and organized than they've been in the past 4 years.
  • Seeing a QB who................. was (despite first game action in a long time) cerebral enough to manage the play clock. Did not make any significant mistakes. Was mobile. Could make short and mid-range throws.
I'm cautiously optimistic and waiting for the proverbial 1st-to-2nd game leap. I am sticking with my 4 win prediction but we are moving in the right direction to hit that 6-7 win watermark if everything breaks right.

Reaction Score
Jimmy Serrano said:
I wish I had known about BL. I would've loved to bust his balls in person.

He was sitting right next to you. Didn't realize you didn't know him.

Reaction Score
Good write up. I almost didn't make it in time. For you guys coming from Fairfield County, via 84, if you take 691 E to 91 N and get off exit 25, route 3 to route 2 takes you right to The Rent with virtually no traffic. I only learned this about 3 years ago, you won't believe the difference between that and trying to get off 84 East Hartford.

As for the game, I am becoming a believer in this Matt Balis guy. Guys like Fatukasi, and Levy look like different human beings. Just big, thick muscled, flexible guys. I keep going back to how we looked competent. The no procedure penalties was huge in my book. We looked organized. We haven't looked organized in forever. The offense is behind the D, but the O has weapons.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You can take Rt3 to Main St exit in Gbury take a left off exit and a left at the light and cruise to the Rent as well.

Reaction Score
Shirreffs had to survive some badly blown blocking assignments and he was able to do so without major disaster. Heard on the Joe D/ Gresh show that they want him to run north/south not to the sidelines . He was tracked down pretty quickly when he went laterally which was the opposite of our attempts to get a hand on Robertson. Our strong side contain needs a lot of work. Seeing us stay solid with the screw ups that would have led to a loss in the past gave me much hope for the season. The o-line should continue to up their level of play which still is the key to our season. If the QB gets time our wide outs will deliver. There is no talent shortage there. It's nice to have the Army rematch right away to bury some bad 2014 memories.

Reaction Score
Nice to have you back Biz.

I felt the coaches did exactly what they wanted to in this one. Balance the offense to open the run and on defense keep everything in front of them so Robertson doesn't beat us. The bend, don't break was perfect, because on a short field Nova couldn't move our DL. This could easily have been a 23-7, 27-7 ball game, especially if Fatukasi does't do his Mike Tyson impression.

Offensively I think Sherriffs will be really good for us. I did not see terrific athleticism, but he made good decisions and he can get up the field given the opportunity. I expected more from the power running game especially when we overloaded one side. We have some guys who can make plays on offense and Johnson is a good workhorse back. I expect the offense to continue to progress and get maybe better than average in comparison to our level of competition. That would be tremendous progress over last season.

We are a LB away from having a very good defense. To my eye the LB crew lacks speed. Put Sio or Wilson in this defense and I think you would really have something. That said, the front is very stout and the DBs are solid. This unit will be good relative to the competition in most of the AAC.

Hopefully this game indicates we are on our way back. Diaco did a good job in this one. Tally is no slouch.

Fatukasi and Johnson will not make those foolish mistakes again. There's a bit of Edsall in Diaco and I doubt either of those two is in for a pleasant week.

Reaction Score
My 2 cents on stewart... I think diggs gets a serious look in practice this week. Gotta control the edge, especially against army's offense. If diggs can do a better job at that, we will see him.

Reaction Score
Nice to have you back Biz.

I felt the coaches did exactly what they wanted to in this one. Balance the offense to open the run and on defense keep everything in front of them so Robertson doesn't beat us. The bend, don't break was perfect, because on a short field Nova couldn't move our DL. This could easily have been a 23-7, 27-7 ball game, especially if Fatukasi does't do his Mike Tyson impression.

Offensively I think Sherriffs will be really good for us. I did not see terrific athleticism, but he made good decisions and he can get up the field given the opportunity. I expected more from the power running game especially when we overloaded one side. We have some guys who can make plays on offense and Johnson is a good workhorse back. I expect the offense to continue to progress and get maybe better than average in comparison to our level of competition. That would be tremendous progress over last season.

We are a LB away from having a very good defense. To my eye the LB crew lacks speed. Put Sio or Wilson in this defense and I think you would really have something. That said, the front is very stout and the DBs are solid. This unit will be good relative to the competition in most of the AAC.

Hopefully this game indicates we are on our way back. Diaco did a good job in this one. Tally is no slouch.

Fatukasi and Johnson will not make those foolish mistakes again. There's a bit of Edsall in Diaco and I doubt either of those two is in for a pleasant week.
Too bad E.J. Levenberry isn't eligible this year. That would go a long way to answering this issue you brought up.

Reaction Score
My 2 cents on stewart... I think diggs gets a serious look in practice this week. Gotta control the edge, especially against army's offense. If diggs can do a better job at that, we will see him.

Agree. GS always seems to be chasing plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom