The View from Rio (or How I won Twice Last Night) | The Boneyard

The View from Rio (or How I won Twice Last Night)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
So we won the game. The team and staff performed on a much higher level than last year. There seems to be hope for the future. It was a great night for the program, but doubly so for me.

The actual game- already alot written here by people more knowledgeable and better writers than me, so just a few thoughts.

Defense seemed to play very soft on the corners. It seemed that 'Nova got 6 yards on almost every first down play. I was hoping for a little more attacking from the D, but maybe Robertsons (?) mobility affected defensive play calling.

Offense- Shirreffs poise and command of the O was impressive. There werwe a few moments when I thought that the running game was going to crank up and just push 'Nova down the field at will, but ultimately sputtered.

Specials- The opening drive was such a refreshing change from the last couple of years, it gave the impresion that UConn might dominate on offense for the whole game, but the blocked field goal took me right to the PPGDL despair of yore. It was a bad, bad feeling.

The game within the game- So I brought wife to her first UConn came ever. As a Brazilian she is accustomed to futebol culture in the Brazilian style, loud boisterous, in love with "the beautiful game". This, in addition to the outcome of the game, gave me 2 casues for worry. I really wanted her to enjoy exsperience because, all other things being equal, I would much rather share my enthusiasms with my wife than not.

As it turns out, she LOVED it. Hooray! She followed the run of play pretty well (she had done a little homework on the sport), loved the atmosphere, the music, band and cheerleaders. Was impressed with the flyovers, the tailgating, the energy of the event in general. I think she enjoyed all of the beefcake on field as well, because she asked me if the players had protective padding on their butts. I told her no, thats just muscle. She look surprised at first, but then just smiled and looked appreciative. Ironically, the only comment she made on the players' unis was that she liked 'Novas helmets. Just confirming my hatred of white helmets. They SUCK. Anyway at the end of the game when I asked her if she would like to go to another game, she enthusiastically agreed. realizing this was perhaps a one time opportunity, I casually mentioned season tickets for next year, and got a big affirmative! So as long as all the financial ducks stay alligned I'll be seeing y'all 6 times next year.

Many thanks to y'all, the team, HCBD and his staff for putting on a show that captured a new fan, and reinvigorated an old one.

Last edited:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Husky Nation's borders are far and wide!!

Reaction Score
Spread the Gospel of UConn Football.

Brazilians & Vietnamese welcome.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
The ancient gate to the city of Seoul.
Seoul Huskies.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online