The two key stats we need to control to beat WVU | The Boneyard

The two key stats we need to control to beat WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Rebounding and TO,s. Currently WV ave. 44 boards per game with 19, yes 19 offensive boards per game number two in the nation. We ave. 4 per game. They also turn their opponent over on ave. 22 times per game. We ave. a little over ten TO's per game. WV ave. 77 PPG but they don't shoot very well around 43% and 28% from three. The TO's and OB have given them a ton of more opportunities to score thus the 4-0. Record.

Per Team Rankings we are number 5 in RPI, WV is number 8. Thus the winner will most likely jump to number 1 in RPI.

If we can stay close to them on the boards and take care of the ball, I like our chances.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the info. Now I am worried about boards. I always thot the abb. for average was avg. my brain kept reading avenue or have.

Reaction Score
WV is not a good offensive team. They press in order to force turnovers so they can get easy buckets. They also rely on 2nd chance points as you pointed out in your analysis mcs333.

Press will be interesting...I think WV has to stick with it, but with our guards we have the ability to not only handle it, but beat it down for easy buckets for ourselves.

If we can hold them to one shot down the floor, I think they will have a tough time breaking mid 50s against our defense. Not a good 3 point shooting team.

Reaction Score
Typical Huggins and WV team. A bunch of 35 year old looking Juco weightlifters that rebound but can't shoot a lick.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Huggins has always stressed rebounding. UConn has 25 offensive rebounds through 3 games. That's 8.33 offensive boards, not 4.

UConn isn't competing for offensive rebounds on the same end of the floor as their opponent. They compete for defensive rebounds. UConn averages over 27 defensive rebounds/game.

Be that as it may. The key to the game is boxing out. WVU is an inside out team and they minimize the change for long rebounds. They are also a pretty poor shooting team, even from up close. Hence the high OREB. rate.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
They def have some big boys... In the 2h they started taking it to BC on both ends. Very physical, took them a while to figure out to give it to their big guys and let them work down low but Im sure with our lean big guys they will attack the post.. Lets hope Brimah and Nolan can stay out of foul trouble and let their length disrupt the shots.. Facey seems to be improving every game so hopefully that continues as well

Reaction Score
Huggins has always stressed rebounding. UConn has 25 offensive rebounds through 3 games. That's 8.33 offensive boards, not 4.
It's funny how, as you live your life, patterns of human behavior become easier to spot.
I'm going to save somebody the effort of responding to you by offering their quote to you now:
"Yeah but X of the rebounds were "team" rebounds, which means the ball went out of bounds, so they don't count."

Reaction Score
Based on what I know about WV, by the way, I expect Boat and Hamilton to have big games. Mark it down (do we even need "mark it down" anymore? I mean, the entire BY is marked down, no?). :cool:

Husky25

Reaction Score
It's funny how, as you live your life, patterns of human behavior become easier to spot.
I'm going to save somebody the effort of responding to you by offering their quote to you now:
"Yeah but X of the rebounds were "team" rebounds, which means the ball went out of bounds, so they don't count."
So UConn doesn't get the ball back on team offensive rebounds? I wasn't aware of that. :rolleyes:

Put backs don't necessarily go in either there, Chief. Think before you post.

Reaction Score

UConn isn't competing for offensive rebounds on the same end of the floor as their opponent. They compete for defensive rebounds. UConn averages over 27 defensive rebounds/game.

Be that as it may. The key to the game is boxing out. WVU is an inside out team and they minimize the change for long rebounds. They are also a pretty poor shooting team, even from up close. Hence the high OREB. rate.
Good point .
DR will win this game.
Taking away their OR is a key because their best offense is the missed shot.
Their press is also something I would worry about. I worry about help for Bazz.

But they like a lot of pressing teams are prone to mistakes if pressed.

With a full compliment of guards and a reliable rim defender this team could become one of the better UConn pressing teams.
Interesting matchup.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Assist : TO ratios through 3 games:

Boatright - 14:9 (Troubling).
Cassell - 5:0
Purvis - 4:4
Samuel - 3:6 (Seriously!?!)

Need to hang onto the ball better.

Reaction Score
Rebounding and TO,s. Currently WV ave. 44 boards per game with 19, yes 19 offensive boards per game number two in the nation. We ave. 4 per game. They also turn their opponent over on ave. 22 times per game. We ave. a little over ten TO's per game. WV ave. 77 PPG but they don't shoot very well around 43% and 28% from three. The TO's and OB have given them a ton of more opportunities to score thus the 4-0. Record.

Per Team Rankings we are number 5 in RPI, WV is number 8. Thus the winner will most likely jump to number 1 in RPI.

If we can stay close to them on the boards and take care of the ball, I like our chances.
I think it's a little early in the year (a couple of games in) to really focus on statistics like that. You can have some really distorted numbers that don't really reflect what your team, offensively or defensively, is capable of because the opponent (or opponents) you've played up until then, may be weak teams whose skill level contributes to lofty numbers that don't really reflect how good or bad you are. What I mean is if you play a mediocre division II team your stats could suggest you are an offensive dynamo and steals and rebounding might be skewed radically. You need a body of work and a cross section of opponents before numbers really can be used to reflect your teams true abilities.

Reaction Score
Good point .
DR will win this game.
Taking away their OR is a key because their best offense is the missed shot.
Their press is also something I would worry about. I worry about help for Bazz.

With a full compliment of guards and a reliable rim defender this team could become one of the better UConn pressing teams.
Interesting matchup.
Good points. I remember years ago seeing a good high school team (New Britain High) get beat by a Hillhouse team who was the worst shooting team I've ever seen because of the most lopsided offensive rebounding I've ever seen. They would miss, grab a rebound, miss, grab a rebound,etc. and inevitably score though they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn outside of two feet from the basket. I can't imagine this happening with any Kevin Ollie team. You will not see that type of game here.

Reaction Score
One of the traditional attacks on a team that likes to press (WVU) is to press in return - would not be surprised to see more than occasional 3/4-court ball pressure from UConn.

Reaction Score
Staten too. Good news is we have Boat to neutralize if needed, but on occasion this guy goes off for a 30 plus game and they ride that momentum as a team.

Looking at their stats yesterday their leading rebounder was a guard with 6 boards so they had issues like we do on that end despite their prowess. It's a fun match up for early in the year and Huggy's kids always play their butts off and we'll need to match that!

Reaction Score
3 games against Monmouth, George Mason(this isn't Larranaga's Mason's team, Hewitt has that program trending into the abyss), and a Boston College program with not alot of high level D1 talent other than Hanlan. Its way too early to put alot of weight behind those stats.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Staten too. Good news is we have Boat to neutralize if needed, but on occasion this guy goes off for a 30 plus game and they ride that momentum as a team.

Looking at their stats yesterday their leading rebounder was a guard with 6 boards so they had issues like we do on that end despite their prowess. It's a fun match up for early in the year and Huggy's kids always play their butts off and we'll need to match that!
Agree, the Boatshow v. Staten matchup should be exciting & intensely competitive.

Reaction Score
Yeah they've pressed three teams, two of which are probably worst than bryant. 1v1 i think boatright is better than staten and purvis should be able to jet his way through the press, looking for both them to have huge games.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
With our guard play and having a 3 in Hamilton who can dribble well, WVU better not be banking on the press working for them. I think we match up with WVU very well, but anything can happen and we having to be better on the boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom