The Triangle Explained....well sort of. | The Boneyard

The Triangle Explained....well sort of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/28/s...jackson-knicks-triangle-offense-nba.html?_r=0

We've all heard of the Triangle Offense, but when push comes to shove, most of us would have a hard time articulating exactly what it is.

In case you missed it (and I don't think it's been posted here before) this article in the New York Times last June, traces the history of this system from it's origin with "Tex" Winter, through the Phil Jackson years with Chicago and L.A. right through to the present day Knicks.

It's a wonderful read- a well researched, analytical, yet lighthearted article with interesting insights into some of the biggest personalities in the history of basketball. I knew very little about "Tex" Winter. What a great character.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Excellent read! Thanks Dougie. I'm still a little vague on exactly how the triangle differs from the motion, but I think I know as much about it as I ever will.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks. I grew up outside of Chicago as Phil Jackson and Tex Winter took over and introduced the triangle. It had a huge impact on my own basketball philosophy.

The triangle offense is also largely responsible for me becoming a UConn fan in 1995, I recognized that they were running it so I kept watching initially became a fan because Geno was running the triangle offense. I still enjoy it a little bit more when Geno still chooses to run his version of the triangle. And I watched a ton over Stanford games over the previous seasons in large part because Tara was running the triangle offense.

I wish someone had steered the author to Geno. especially since he talked to Tara. Geno installing the triangle before the 1995 season based on Winter's book and tapes of Bulls games and the winning the championship is a good story. And then that Pat ended up flying her whole staff the next year to Chicago to learn the triangle directly from Tex Winter is icing on the cake. It stuck with UConn because Geno recruits the players that can play that style of offense, where it was just another fad for Pat before she moved onto other offenses including Harry's.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Thanks. I grew up outside of Chicago as Phil Jackson and Tex Winter took over and introduced the triangle. It had a huge impact on my own basketball philosophy.

The triangle offense is also largely responsible for me becoming a UConn fan in 1995, I recognized that they were running it so I kept watching initially became a fan because Geno was running the triangle offense. I still enjoy it a little bit more when Geno still chooses to run his version of the triangle. And I watched a ton over Stanford games over the previous seasons in large part because Tara was running the triangle offense.
Geno really doesn't run the triangle anymore. He switched back in the early 2000's?? Can't remember which year, but they had a summer trip the year when he implemented a Motion offense. Of course he has his own tweaks. The one that came from Frank Iba through Bobby Knight. (as opposed to the Princeton offense - Peter Carrill?). Usually runs a 4-1. Will run a 3-2, but with a Hi-Lo post as opposed to a double Lo post.

Reaction Score
Geno really doesn't run the triangle anymore. He switched back in the early 2000's?? Can't remember which year, but they had a summer trip the year when he implemented a Motion offense. Of course he has his own tweaks. The one that came from Frank Iba through Bobby Knight. (as opposed to the Princeton offense - Peter Carrill?). Usually runs a 4-1. Will run a 3-2, but with a Hi-Lo post as opposed to a double Lo post.

He does still run the triangle. Certainly not as much as a decade ago when it was still pretty much the base offense, but he hasn't completely abandoned his version of it. And in the end the offense itself isn't as important as the principles behind it, which Geno still teaches no matter what the name or the pattern of the offense he is teaching is.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
He does still run the triangle. Certainly not as much as a decade ago when it was still pretty much the base offense, but he hasn't completely abandoned his version of it. And in the end the offense itself isn't as important as the principles behind it, which Geno still teaches no matter what the name or the pattern of the offense he is teaching is.
ummmm, no. It's a version of Frank Iba's/Bobby Knight's motion offense. Not the triangle.

Reaction Score
Excellent read! Thanks Dougie. I'm still a little vague on exactly how the triangle differs from the motion, but I think I know as much about it as I ever will.

You're not alone and that was part of the point of the article.

I'm unclear myself as to the difference. And do they both fall under the category of what is known as "Read and React" offenses?

I grew up playing basketball (played in high school) but when I watch a game live I often have trouble seeing exactly how a play formed. It's all too fast sometimes. And that's what I love about recording and watching the games a second or third time. First of all, the emotionalism is removed and you can watch more objectively. I'll often rewatch a great play several times just to see how it evolved- where did the screens come from, who was in motion, what was the floor spacing like, how did someone get free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom