The Tradeline Delemma | The Boneyard

The Tradeline Delemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Peter Abraham wrote an article on the Sox and he used a Jim Calhoun quote to make his point. Here is the link: http://www.boston.com/sports/baseba...bases/2013/07/the_trade_deadline_dilemma.html

Jim Calhoun when asked if he would bring in some junior college players to supplement his team, said "I came here to build a program, not a team."

Abraham makes the point that the Sox should look beyond 2013 and not trade away their prospects for someone who may or may not help them get into the playoffs. I agree with him.

Reaction Score
The Sox should learned their lesson by now although they seem to have an abundance of 3B prospects.

Reaction Score
The Sox should learned their lesson by now although they seem to have an abundance of 3B prospects.
Two years from now they may have Garin Cecchini on third, Bogaerts in left and Middlebrooks on first (if he learns the strike zone). I know you don't agree with me but they still need to find a catcher but there are a couple of good ones down on the farm.

Reaction Score
I was listening to someone on the radio today talk about Cliff Lee and all the trades he's been for the last few years.......not many of the great "prospects" teams gave up led to anything........"prospects" are just that and not as many as you believe will be the players you hope. Get what you can to win while you can!!

Reaction Score
To me, it would extremely short-sighted on the part of the Red Sox if they don't go after Lee. Right now the Rays have the best pitching staff in baseball. Getting Lee will at least close the gap between the two staffs. Hey I'm a die hard Yankee fan, and if they had anything near the potential of the Red Sox, I'd want them to make that trade.

Reaction Score
To me, it would extremely short-sighted on the part of the Red Sox if they don't go after Lee. Right now the Rays have the best pitching staff in baseball. Getting Lee will at least close the gap between the two staffs. Hey I'm a die hard Yankee fan, and if they had anything near the potential of the Red Sox, I'd want them to make that trade.

Two years from now they may have Garin Cecchini on third, Bogaerts in left and Middlebrooks on first (if he learns the strike zone). I know you don't agree with me but they still need to find a catcher but there are a couple of good ones down on the farm.
Salty has improved enough IMO and Lavarnway seems fine as a backup and Ross will be back. Morales may also be back soon. I'd like to see them pick up a reliever who can close occasionally. I'm not convinced that Uehara can close regularly for an entire season and still be effective.
A lot is going depend upon some of the young players like Workman. I definitely don't want to give up what it would take to land Lee. I could see another Anderson/Bagwell result.

Reaction Score
Salty has improved enough IMO and Lavarnway seems fine as a backup and Ross will be back. Morales may also be back soon. I'd like to see them pick up a reliever who can close occasionally. I'm not convinced that Uehara can close regularly for an entire season and still be effective.
A lot is going depend upon some of the young players like Workman. I definitely don't want to give up what it would take to land Lee. I could see another Anderson/Bagwell result.

But Bagwell cheated to become what he was so even that deal is highly overrated.......although not on paper LOL........

You have plenty of "prospects" but not enough Cliff Lee's to win it all......that could be the deal breaker!

Reaction Score
But Bagwell cheated to become what he was so even that deal is highly overrated.......although not on paper LOL........

You have plenty of "prospects" but not enough Cliff Lee's to win it all......that could be the deal breaker!
The other side of that would be Beckett and Lowell for Hanley Ramirez and that deal led to 2 championships so who knows. I don't see this Sox team winning it all with or without Cliff Lee. Bucholz is turning into the Sox version of that sissy Mussina. Right now St. Louis looks like the best team in baseball.

Reaction Score
The other side of that would be Beckett and Lowell for Hanley Ramirez and that deal led to 2 championships so who knows. I don't see this Sox team winning it all with or without Cliff Lee. Bucholz is turning into the Sox version of that sissy Mussina. Right now St. Louis looks like the best team in baseball.

Can you insult your own guy without using an ex-Yankee who was hardly ever out? Mussina was much more of a man than Clay boy!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Jake Peavy seems to be headed to Beantown? But for who? Details coming...

Reaction Score
Now the Sox need a SS. Drew is overpriced and likely won't be resigned next year.

Reaction Score
I assume the plan is for Bogaerts to play SS next year.
Really don't know much about Bogarts other than he is very young and the Sox are high on him. It is doubtful that they resign Drew who is overpriced for what he is. Heard somewhere that Bogarts was projected as a 3B. That said, I fully expect that Middlebrooks will be back at 3B next season.

Reaction Score
Really don't know much about Bogarts other than he is very young and the Sox are high on him. It is doubtful that they resign Drew who is overpriced for what he is. Heard somewhere that Bogarts was projected as a 3B. That said, I fully expect that Middlebrooks will be back at 3B next season.
Bogaerts is the number one prospect in the Red Sox system. He is 20 years old, 6' 3" and could turn out to be an outstanding hitter. He does not have a reputation as a good fielder though. He may end up in the outfield eventually. The fact that the Sox elected to bring up Holt instead of Middlebrooks tells me that he still isn't ready. Hopefully he figures things out but I still think that Cecchini is the third baseman of the future. Shortstop....who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom