The Program | The Boneyard

The Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Since Geno brought up one of Kib's favorite words it got me thinking a bit. Since he opened the door and talked about how this game demonstrated what a great program this is, I thought one more "call out" was ummm called for.

When I watched the game I was attentive to the energy of the players. Signs of fatigue. Signs of those little things we do when we are trying to catch a breath. One mention by Rebecca about Stef aside, I think the short rostered Huskies pretty much out hustled and out ran the Terps for the whole game and in the first 10 minutes of the second half it was a backbreaker.

This state of fitness just seems to be true year after year. I can't recall a team that looked more fit that the Huskies. There's something going on in that program to make that true.

So my call out is to Amanda Kimball. Thank you Amanda for whatever it is you are doing.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Since Geno brought up one of Kib's favorite words it got me thinking a bit. Since he opened the door and talked about how this game demonstrated what a great program this is, I thought one more "call out" was ummm called for.

When I watched the game I was attentive to the energy of the players. Signs of fatigue. Signs of those little things we do when we are trying to catch a breath. One mention by Rebecca about Stef aside, I think the short rostered Huskies pretty much out hustled and out ran the Terps for the whole game and in the first 10 minutes of the second half it was a backbreaker.

This state of fitness just seems to be true year after year. I can't recall a team that looked more fit that the Huskies. There's something going on in that program to make that true.

So my call out is to Amanda Kimball. Thank you Amanda for whatever it is you are doing.
I loved the old-timers (Sue and _____) talking about one of the current players complaining about the lack of a water break during the Uconn practices - one said 'they haven't learned about the phantom tightness in a hamstring or minor tweak to an ankle requiring a quick visit to Rosie and a gulp of water' and the other 'pre positioning of strategic water bottles under the basket' which was talked down as CD has set up camp right there.
I think it really comes down to the intensity of the practices - they don't start and stop, just keep plowing through their various drills so 40 minutes with a halftime break seems like a summer at the beach. Not to take anything away from Amanda as she clearly has them in peak condition.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Can anyone remember the last game where UConn played an opponent that was better conditioned? I know that some individual players would occasionally get gassed (freshman Dolson comes to mind) but as a whole the team seems ready to go all ahead full from start to finish.

I do think that the coaching staff has also learned how to manage the team's energy during a game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Kentucky learned that last year. 40 minutes of dread turned into a 40 point spread (ok slight exaggeration)...

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
If you think about Stef and Bria's freshman year, they basically played with a six-man rotation after Samarie left. That was pretty incredible.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Kentucky learned that last year. 40 minutes of dread turned into a 40 point spread (ok slight exaggeration)...
I always go with 40 Minutes of Shred...

Uconn S&C is first-rate. Different programs for different kids to a point, but the results are consistently fantastic. Kelly Faris would attest to it in a heartbeat, methinks.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This is what Sally Jenkins wrote about The Program after last year's national championship:

U-Conn. does things different — and better — on a consistent basis than every other team in the country. You could see that in every single detail of their play as they demolished Louisville in the NCAA women’s basketball final at New Orleans Arena, 93-60.

Even their bodies look superior; they are leaner, and more cut, their biceps and triceps pop, and their calves bulge. Their passes are crisper, their screens are bigger, and their pace is more intense. They are quicker to every loose ball. There is not a single idle moment by any player, on any part of the floor, never a lazy foot or a low hand. They never, ever take a play off and they never get tired. Anyone who wants to beat them needs to start by planting a spy in their training room.

Reaction Score

I worry about fatigue tomorrow - three tough games in a row is a challenge for any team, let alone one with two key players on the bench. However, it affords extra playing time for Stokes and Banks, who are showing their stuff.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I worry about fatigue tomorrow - three tough games in a row is a challenge for any team, let alone one with two key players on the bench. However, it affords extra playing time for Stokes and Banks, who are showing their stuff.

Fatigue is a legitimate concern no doubt. 2 tough road games early and back to back. My greater concern is mental fatigue. No mistake: they all burned a huge bunch of mental energy leading into and playing the Maryland game. A solid win tomorrow will say volumes about our kids.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Fatigue is a legitimate concern no doubt. 2 tough road games early and back to back. My greater concern is mental fatigue. No mistake: they all burned a huge bunch of mental energy leading into and playing the Maryland game. A solid win tomorrow will say volumes about our kids.

One big difference between this and last year is the diminution of physical play…a definite plus for Uconn.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Can anyone remember the last game where UConn played an opponent that was better conditioned? I know that some individual players would occasionally get gassed (freshman Dolson comes to mind) but as a whole the team seems ready to go all ahead full from start to finish.

I do think that the coaching staff has also learned how to manage the team's energy during a game.
I think the Notre Dame teams were as well conditioned. The last semi final game I think they lost their mojo mentally and body language was bad. I think the A & M N Champ team that blew by Stamford late were only a few times where I noticed teams that could run all game with us, and deal with the intense pressure we exert on both ends of the floor. Not many teams are up to it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
We all have our worries - mine being foul calls. But on conditioning and mental strength ... nope! Young women in the peak of physical fitness and i suspect todays practice is lighter and shorted than standard practices. Yes they have two games Friday night and Sunday afternoon, but ... And I like that they did the travel last night so today and tomorrow are 'on-location'.

They consider games to be much less stressful than normal practices so game days are like mini holidays from the real work of the season which is getting through the 3 hour practices!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom