The price of "big time" football | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The price of "big time" football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more about Calhoun. I, too, was worried. The laptops, Miles, Wiggins and APR stuff really had concerned me too.

What did the laptops have to do with Calhoun?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
What did the laptops have to do with Calhoun?

Happened under his watch. Obviously, the coach is held responsible for everything in his program under his tenure, good and bad.

Reaction Score
Happened under his watch. Obviously, the coach is held responsible for everything in his program under his tenure, good and bad.

With that standard, every coach in America is on probation, including Ollie. For Olander and Enosch Wolf, and recruiting Brandon Austin and JaKeenan Gant.

The problem isn't that things happen under one's watch, it's that they are buried--systematically--under the rug.

Dooley

Reaction Score
With that standard, every coach in America is on probation, including Ollie. For Olander and Enosch Wolf, and recruiting Brandon Austin and JaKeenan Gant.

The problem isn't that things happen under one's watch, it's that they are buried--systematically--under the rug.

I was responding to another reply that addressed past concern over Calhoun's program at a point in time. I am/was one of those people. There just seemed to be a rash of events that happened in Calhoun's later years that made me uneasy about the effects it would have on UCONN's reputation (which is what I ultimately care most about). Just because they weren't swept under the rug doesn't make me any less uneasy about them.

Reaction Score
I was responding to another reply that addressed past concern over Calhoun's program at a point in time. I am/was one of those people. There just seemed to be a rash of events that happened in Calhoun's later years that made me uneasy about the effects it would have on UCONN's reputation (which is what I ultimately care most about). Just because they weren't swept under the rug doesn't make me any less uneasy about them.

AJ Price was part of the laptop thing. Kid's parents were Ivy league grads. UConn self-reported on Miles back in 2007 when it first got wind of the Nochimson tie. We've been over APR again and again.

Given the way this bball world operates, this seems par for the course everywhere. Cutting corners for academics goes on everywhere. A kid getting into trouble. Too many phone calls to recruits.

Dooley

Reaction Score
AJ Price was part of the laptop thing. Kid's parents were Ivy league grads. UConn self-reported on Miles back in 2007 when it first got wind of the Nochimson tie. We've been over APR again and again.

Given the way this bball world operates, this seems par for the course everywhere. Cutting corners for academics goes on everywhere. A kid getting into trouble. Too many phone calls to recruits.

I understand - I'm not interested in debating all of these again (it's been exhausted here and everywhere else). All I said is that it made me uneasy. I just want to leave it at that.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yeah, because covering up and then hampering an investigation of sexual assault is analogous to anything that has ever happened at UConn.

Honestly, I wonder how bright some of you are.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more about Calhoun. I, too, was worried. The laptops, Miles, Wiggins and APR stuff really had concerned me too.
Mmmm, that's a pretty big reach as a comparison both in the original action and in the university's response.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Of course the NCAA is no where's to be seen. Just like the UNC with fake classes and nothing happening.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh the legal system isn't working... let's point out the NCAA didn't step up? When the State of Florida can't police... you'd have the expectation the NCAA can?

Reaction Score
FSU and Tallahassee people have always been a bunch of worthless white trash types anyways. Probably worse than an SEC school. The school is merely a product of the community in which it thrives.

Meanwhile Jimbo Fisher just smiles and says Awwww Shucks as "the prominent student athlete" wags him. And the lamestream sports medie still have him in their Heisman top five.

Reaction Score

It should. If you are not more uneasy when things get swept under the rug, that's not good. You take a chance on Caron and Miles and face up to when one doesn't work out. AJ and Marcus are dumb enough to get involved in selling a stolen laptop you give them what a regular student would get. Wolf got more than enough for his dumbness. Pretty ok with most UConn handling and made me less uneasy; not sure about Gordon and McCombs re slapping girls and saw as more than what Wolf did but they were called out. Dyson and Wiggins with the weed event, they got their butts in ringer. Cody got the boot. Overall think UConn isn't thug U and addresses events as they come, maybe not perfect but enough.

Reaction Score
Did you see Coach Slime's press conference? He made Coach Cal look like a saint

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
It should. If you are not more uneasy when things get swept under the rug, that's not good. You take a chance on Caron and Miles and face up to when one doesn't work out. AJ and Marcus are dumb enough to get involved in selling a stolen laptop you give them what a regular student would get. Wolf got more than enough for his dumbness. Pretty ok with most UConn handling and made me less uneasy; not sure about Gordon and McCombs re slapping girls and saw as more than what Wolf did but they were called out. Dyson and Wiggins with the weed event, they got their butts in ringer. Cody got the boot. Overall think UConn isn't thug U and addresses events as they come, maybe not perfect but enough.
UConn basketball's 10 year criminal history is equivalent to around 2-3 days at an SEC or low-grade ACC school like FSU or Miami.

Reaction Score
I wonder what sanctions Emmert will impose...

I'm not putting this in the same category of the PSU debacle, but it should warrant some scrutiny by Emmert and his merry pranksters.
Don't you think? Hell, Geno got written up for a 2 minute phone call to Mo'ne Davis. Doesn't this deserve a little look-see by the NCAA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom