OT: - The Original Song: It's The Best | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: The Original Song: It's The Best

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Walking in the Rain - The Ronettes, 1964.

Beautiful song, one of Phil Spector's early productions:

I was thinking, Walking in the Rain isn’t that old. But I was thinking of this one, famously covered by Grace Jones:

Reaction Score
From West Germany in 1975 Silver Convention became the second German act to have a number one song on the American music charts. The song received a Grammy Award for Best R&B Instrumental Performance in 1976, this song only had six words...

"Fly, Robin, Fly" carries the distinction of being a Billboard chart-topper with only six words: the chorus simply repeats "Fly, Robin, fly" three times, with an ending of "Up, up to the sky". During a segment on VH1's 100 Greatest Dance Songs, it was revealed that the original working title was "Run, Rabbit, Run"

I love this song. It's on my rotational playlist. Unknown fact that this was a great song to roller skate to. All the skating rinks used to play this.

Reaction Score
Another song I love.
Year of the Cat - Al Stewart

Been covered a number of times, but the original is such a masterpiece:

"On a morning from a Bogart movie
In a country where they turn back time
You go strolling through the crowd like Peter Lorre
Contemplating a crime
She comes out of the sun in a silk dress running
Like a watercolor in the rain
Don't bother asking for explanations
She'll just tell you that she came
In the year of the cat"

Another song I love. This and Time Passages were a great 1/2 combination.

Reaction Score
The Road - Danny O'Keefe.

This was a big song for Jackson Browne, but the Danny original was by far the best to my ears.

Reaction Score
I just read an obituary for Mike Pinder, the last surviving member of the original Moody Blues, who died a few days ago. Denny Laine, who sang lead on their first hit Go Now in 1965, died a few months ago. So here is the best version of Go Now from a group that has given me a lot of enjoyment over the last 6 decades.

Reaction Score
War - Slippin' Into Darkness

Covered a number of times by others, but this original is still very powerful.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I just read an obituary for Mike Pinder, the last surviving member of the original Moody Blues, who died a few days ago. Denny Laine, who sang lead on their first hit Go Now in 1965, died a few months ago. So here is the best version of Go Now from a group that has given me a lot of enjoyment over the last 6 decades.

You beat me to Mike Pinder. I have a long day of listening to the Moodies planned tomorrow. Meantime, here's one of my faves from him. It features his narration of Graeme's poem, two versions of the song and an instrumental sandwiched in between. I don't like breaking form, but I just love Mike Pinder so much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom