The Optimist in Me Says.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Optimist in Me Says....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes he's been good and deserves credit. He also sat down at the table with pocket kings. A lot of coordinators could play his hand well.

His history prior to UConn doesn't count, it would seem . . . .

Reaction Score
Before we crown Brown how about we see what he can do with players that weren't developed before he got here.

When he got here, only one of our current starting LB's had shown anything, and even Sio Moore, while a great run supporting backer was poor in pass coverage. When he got here, we had no safeties. The interior line graduated and yet the difference in performance is minimal. We've managed to work around major injuries at Defensive End by playing inexperienced guys out of position.

Yes, Wilson, Gratz and T. Williams are great players (though even T. Williams was a shadow of his current self at the end of 2010). And we have no idea if we'll be able plug the enormous holes we'll have at corner next year. The evidence available suggests that we will find a way.

Reaction Score
Hank Hughes has turned unheralded recruits into solid FBS Defensive Linemen for a decade Plus at the University of Connecticut.

No one should be surprised at Ryan Wirth having a good year. We saw Kendall Reyes, who was returning Kickoffs in New Hampshire HS, become a Second Round NFL draft choice. We have about 10 other stories. Rarely could you look at a tape of a HS kid that UConn was bringing in & say ... he's got it all. Rarely did we see 5 FBS offers for any of the DL. Hughes has had a good formula for UConn.

Brown? Love him too.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hank Hughes has turned unheralded recruits into solid FBS Defensive Linemen for a decade Plus at the University of Connecticut.

No one should be surprised at Ryan Wirth having a good year. We saw Kendall Reyes, who was returning Kickoffs in New Hampshire HS, become a Second Round NFL draft choice. We have about 10 other stories. Rarely could you look at a tape of a HS kid that UConn was bringing in & say ... he's got it all. Rarely did we see 5 FBS offers for any of the DL. Hughes has had a good formula for UConn.

Brown? Love him too.

yep.

Reaction Score
Won't matter - about the D that is. The offense will likely be just as inept next year. Make that a definite if Paul P is back. Geez, wins one game and people are already taking their foot off his throat. He needs to go win or lose after Saturday.

Reaction Score
Won't matter - about the D that is. The offense will likely be just as inept next year. Make that a definite if Paul P is back. Geez, wins one game and people are already taking their foot off his throat. He needs to go win or lose after Saturday.

Well ... we are given a clear Black & White choice: Do we want to continue being a fan of UConn Football or not?

We all know that Firing Paul Pasqualoni is a far remote probability now. He's won 2 in a row & it doesn't matter how they look. It would take significant balls (*but be the right move IMHO) for Warde Manual to step up and can PP. Most of us here on the Boneyard, recognizing the reality, have to make the internal self-examination. We will have PP next year. Should we just stop reading the Courant; never look at the recruiting prospect list; and just not go to any games? We have fed this habit/addiction for a decade or more. A reasonable observer will conclude that the Program has flatlined & there is not a good prospect of a resurgence under the current leadership.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well ... we are given a clear Black & White choice: Do we want to continue being a fan of UConn Football or not?

We all know that Firing Paul Pasqualoni is a far remote probability now. He's won 2 in a row & it doesn't matter how they look. It would take significant balls (*but be the right move IMHO) for Warde Manual to step up and can PP. Most of us here on the Boneyard, recognizing the reality, have to make the internal self-examination. We will have PP next year. Should we just stop reading the Courant; never look at the recruiting prospect list; and just not go to any games? We have fed this habit/addiction for a decade or more. A reasonable observer will conclude that the Program has flatlined & there is not a good prospect of a resurgence under the current leadership.

The only move to me the "has" to be made is DeLeone gone as OC. Bottom line is the offense is one of the worst in the FBS.

Any fan can criticize an individual play in any game. Holistically, the offense is a disgrace. The numbers have trended downward for two years and the schemes, no matter how good they look on wallpaper, have failed miserably in games. To paraphrase Bill Parcells, your offense is what your numbers say it is. One area I will gladly acknowledge is that DeLeone said he wanted a more vertical passing game and he's actually accomplished that. Uconn's passing numbers are middle of the pack and have improved. But it's been at the expense of having anything resembling a running game.

Reaction Score
Seems like at Uconn 1st question ask about a unit is "have they underperformed?" Would say coaching decision making re offensive game plan and adjustments to opponents in game changes and clock management has underperformed. Kick returns too many punts not challenged, let hit ground and roll. Defense has kept Uconn in virtually every game and except for WM and Syracuse has not underperformed, giving up 0,10, 13, 17, 17, 17, 19, 20, 21. Given that kind of defense to have only 5 wins in those 9 games is pretty weak.

Come on, how many coaches get units to perform well without talent, Uconn is a top 19 scoring defense and top 117 scoring offense. I would venture to say that Uconn's results on defense is as good or better than talent vs. rest of college football while offense results is much worse than talent vs. rest of college football.

So top 19 against scoring with team offense that gives up 3 and outs and field position like they can't wait to take a break on the bench ain't impressive enough for you guys and you'll be "much, much" more impressed if defense does it again next year. Don't have the talent of Al, Fl, ND teams this year and don't have the depth of those teams so losing seniors has much more effect on Uconn re younger talent not as ready as on better recruiting teams; I expect a drop off in defensive performance but not to much past the 35 rating of the 2010 defense. And this year had a good amount of line injuries to overcome so it wasn't like a "dream" season injury wise.

Reaction Score
Much as I hate the thought of this staff staying in place, I separate that from whether I will continue to support the team. I don't have to like or support the staff if they are terrible (even if just some of them). In my mind, if things stay the same, this staff will eventually get enough good players to elevate the play and effectively run the schemes they want. Even when they do, they won't dominate the league if the better coaches in the league stay in place. They certainly won't dominate if we go to a better league. I think we would be stuck with mediocrity with this staff. I support replacing them. However, there's no question in my mind about supporting the team -- the players. In many ways they are being handed the same raw deal as we are as fans. Except they have to go out and perform even if the scenario doesn't facilitate that. These players are ours guys. We have to support them to the max. I'm not taking my money anywhere else!! I don't agree with withholding attendence or not buying season tickets as a vote against this staff. It just hurts the players. I love UCONN and really enjoy college football. I hope the coaching staff changes but if I have to suffer more years of their ineptitude I'll do it. I feel that this admin is much less likely to continue a bad trend than the guy who hired this Head Coach. I don't believe he's going to get his full contract to show his worth. Hopefully this turns around sooner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom