The only last ditch chance we have now (it is a Hail Mary for sure) | The Boneyard

The only last ditch chance we have now (it is a Hail Mary for sure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
There is only one scenario that would lead to us going to the ACC.

The SEC still needs to get to 14 teams. They just invited Missouri and all signs pointed to them accepting. However, now the Big 12 is supposedly getting back together as the Texahoma contingent no longer has the PAC 12 to go to. The latest rumor is that Oklahoma Athletic Director Castiglione may be selected to be the new Commisioner of the conference (part of the demands of Oklahoma staying). If that is the case, he is the former Missouri AD as well. If they are able to get Castiglione as commisioner, and get Texas to give up enough money and power, then Missouri may actually choose to stay in the Big 12.

Then the SEC would still need to find #14. They have already rejected WVU (despite the PR attempt to deny that fact)...so maybe they go back to WVU for #14? But our Hail Mary chance is if the SEC decides they need to make an enhanced offer to Florida State to come to the SEC. While the ACC was strengthened by the additions of Syracuse and Pitt, I doubt FSU is overly happy with adding two northern basketball schools. If the SEC is willing to pay the $20MM ACC exit fee, then maybe FSU is willing to make the shift. The SEC may be willing to pay the extra so they aren't forced to take a team they don't really want. That would then open up a single spot in the ACC for UConn.

That folks, is our one last chance of getting into the ACC at this point. It is a long shot...but it is probably our only shot at this point.

Heck....if that is the case, we should secretly contribute $5MM to $10MM to the 'ACC exit fee fund' for the SEC! Get Burton on the phone, stat!;)

Reaction Score
actually this would be better than mega merger w big 12 option from my other thread

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
The situation has become so crazy and so in flux it's hard to know what our best options are. But many other schools appear to be in a worse position than we are in. I'd rather be a UConn fan at this point than a fan of other schools, such as Louisville or South Florida, which appear to be in a bigger bind.

My feeling is that we have a lot to offer (top basketball, good academics, presence in New York market, hopefully a rising football program) and will find a good home when all the conference reshuffling is done. Keeping my fingers crossed.

We can all thank Big Lou that he had the vision to upgrade our football program. We would be in a hell of a mess now if he hadn't.

Reaction Score
I still believe schools like WVU and Louisville will land on their feet. Whether it is in new B12 or some "leftovers" league, they bring too much to be ignored. So does UConn and Snooki (just threw up in my mouth a little ;) ). Rutgers in in the same boat as we are. They do have a closer claim to the NYC market which matters, but bring a terrible on the field product in most sports, and average at best football. UConn can partially claim NYC to a lesser degree and even stretch into the Boston/New England market. We bring great all around athletics and average at best football. What RU has that we don't is the AAU membership
which only helps them with the B1G. Cinci and USF however, are in tough spots.
USF is pretty much locked out of the SEC and ACC right now, they don't make much sense for the B12 (but who knows) and you wonder how badly they burned bridges with CUSA and more importantly UCF - who could lobby to block them from CUSA.

Cinci is not an option for the ACC, SEC, and tPSU will block them from the B1G. Their biggest hope is a new B12 with them in it, or possibly the MWC (an odd fit, but...)

We will end up just fine in the long run, but it will be a rocky stretch until all the dust settles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom