The Official Spring Training Thread | The Boneyard

The Official Spring Training Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Here is the list of Dates for Pitchers and Catchers. Then Full Squads. Then that first game.

Will be interesting to see the ARod coverage. Or will it?

Spring Training is Near

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
None of you Sox/Yanks fans probably give a rip, but I'm very interesting in seeing Jung-Ho Kang. If this guy's game translates to MLB, then just like that, South Korea becomes the next Cuba. Fangraphs just took a good look at Kang's swing mechanics and made favorable comparisons to Miggy. That may be overstating things, but even if Kang goes .280/.800/25 HRs, that's a helluva find for the Bucs.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
None of you Sox/Yanks fans probably give a rip, but I'm very interesting in seeing Jung-Ho Kang. If this guy's game translates to MLB, then just like that, South Korea becomes the next Cuba. Fangraphs just took a good look at Kang's swing mechanics and made favorable comparisons to Miggy. That may be overstating things, but even if Kang goes .280/.800/25 HRs, that's a helluva find for the Bucs.
I think Kang will be mediocre. Not sure how good Korean pitchers are but the MLB is stocking up on fireballers and I am sure that Korea is devoid of these kinds of pitchers. Writers keep pointing at Felix Pie who did well in Korea but not here.

The Kangster article

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
11006380_10203294383055563_2292989472491904322_n.jpg

Someone ate a panda.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Speaking of tubbies...CC checked in at 305.

Reaction Score
Good Lord.....Sandoval needs to drop 30 just be able to see his feet and pecker.

100 mill for like five years?

Ut-oh...

Reaction Score
Speaking of tubbies...CC checked in at 305.

Have you seen him pitch good since he lost weight? I'm hoping he look more like Sandoval than he has the last couple of years. Maybe he'll be able to win a game or 2.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
MLB Network says Red Sox signed young IF prospect Yoan Moncada.

19 years old and maybe 2 years away.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Moncada "may be best Cuban talent in a long time".

Signed for 60 millionish. Maybe signed to keep away from Yankees.

Reaction Score
MLB Network says Red Sox signed young IF prospect Yoan Moncada.

19 years old and maybe 2 years away.
Wow! This young man has superstar potential. When I first heard about him, I thought he was a lock for the Yankees. He, plus 3B Rafael Devers who won't turn 19 until October, gives the Red Sox the start for an awesome infield down the road.

Reaction Score
Wow! This young man has superstar potential. When I first heard about him, I thought he was a lock for the Yankees. He, plus 3B Rafael Devers who won't turn 19 until October, gives the Red Sox the start for an awesome infield down the road.
Eh, that's because when you think Yankees, you think "vintage" Yankees - you know, an organization that uses every resource at its disposal to try and gain some advantage over the competition.

The new look Yankees are more about putting a mediocre team on the field and pocketing MAJOR CA$H. We'll see how that works out when they can't get half the seats in the stadium filled.

Reaction Score
He's a stud. I mean you can get 30M for hitting .277 in Cuba? Wow.......:eek:

Reaction Score
Don't forget the 100% tax so it would be over 60 million. Yankees just signed 10 of the top 30 international players, so it's not like they are signing no one.
The real point is, the Yankees, with the highest revenue of any team in baseball finds it's advantages from that revenue stream dwindling by the year. Its very likely that international free agents, at least from Latin America, will soon be subject to a draft as well. And with the new rules about said free agents, such that once you go over your allotment for the year, are severely restricted in the following two years, and the Yankees already over that limit - this was the ideal time to put that revenue advantage to work.

Instead, they let $9 million - less than ownership splurged on Rafael Soriano for no apparent reason in 2011 - be the difference between them acquiring what is widely viewed as a major prospect and letting the chief rival in their own division do the same.

George would be rolling over in his grave at how shabbily his team is being run.

They'll probably have to raise ticket prices to make up for it.

Reaction Score
I am shocked the Yankees did not sign Moncada. Fall like five million short? To Boston?

Never woulda happened on George's watch. Never. Alas it is a new day which is a good thing for Sox fans.

Reaction Score
I am shocked the Yankees did not sign Moncada. Fall like five million short? To Boston?

Never woulda happened on George's watch. Never. Alas it is a new day which is a good thing for Sox fans.
The really ironic thing is, I read today that the famous "evil empire" quote came after the Yankees had outbid the Sox for Jose Contreras - the last Cuban the Yankees signed.

How times have changed.

I think I'm most annoyed at Cashman covering for his pathetic ownership, talking about how they were "uncomfortable" even at the the bid they did make. Good lord.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Having AROID on the rolls must have them a bit gun shy.

Reaction Score
The really ironic thing is, I read today that the famous "evil empire" quote came after the Yankees had outbid the Sox for Jose Contreras - the last Cuban the Yankees signed.

How times have changed.

I think I'm most annoyed at Cashman covering for his pathetic ownership, talking about how they were "uncomfortable" even at the the bid they did make. Good lord.

On Contreras...I recall reading where Red Sox Management had rented out the entire hotel he was staying at to keep NY away from him and try and sign him.

Apparently forgetting that the phone is an easy way around that "brilliant plan"...

Last edited:
Reaction Score

from what I hear I'm not though. He's one of those many "no-brainers" which everyone has in their system yet hardly pan out to be worth 63 M. We'll see but reading through it all they did;t feel that certain he was going to be as good as the money they had to throw out there. They have to be gun shy, and I think they have a plan anyway and it's not for this year that's obvious!

Reaction Score
from what I hear I'm not though. He's one of those many "no-brainers" which everyone has in their system yet hardly pan out to be worth 63 M. We'll see but reading through it all they did;t feel that certain he was going to be as good as the money they had to throw out there. They have to be gun shy, and I think they have a plan anyway and it's not for this year that's obvious!

True you never know but Yankees must also think he is real deal as they offered 25 million.

We will see....

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He's one of those many "no-brainers" which everyone has in their system yet hardly pan out to be worth 63 M.

Is that what you're going with? We really didn't want him anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom