The Official 2015 Yankees Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Official 2015 Yankees Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Of course while we bi**h today they throw a 12 spot up there lol
And while Wednesday's game will be the most interesting one, I think tomorrow's opener will be the important one. Tanaka-san needs to give us something to feel OK about, not just more doubt and dust. Make hay when the sun shines...

Reaction Score
I wonder if things would have played out differently had the Yankees known that Pineda was going to have to go on the DL earlier before the trade deadline? It seemed that by the time it looked like the Yankees really needed front line pitching help, all the big-time names (Hamels/Price/Cueto) had been moved. I'm actually OK with them holding on to their top assets rather than trade them for middling starters like Samardzija. I don't seem him, or the other available pitchers whose names I heard, being a big enough upgrade over Nova & Eovaldi to trade away their top assets. The Yankees seem well on the road to making the playoffs. Hopefully Pineda comes back by then and we have a front three of Tanaka, Pineda & Nova with a solid bullpen behind them. I'd take my chances on that, especially considering how low expectations were for this team this season.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Would you have bet that Tanaka's arm or Pineda's head would last all season? How about Tommy John surgery recovery and Nova? Sabathia.
Auto correct doesn't like Sabathia. Made it Saratoga

We needed a starter before Pineda went down and they might not of had to given up Severino or Judge to get a good pitcher. This was irresponsible.
Cash is pretty lucky Girardi has made some pretty injured and mediocre teams competitive.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder if things would have played out differently had the Yankees known that Pineda was going to have to go on the DL earlier before the trade deadline? It seemed that by the time it looked like the Yankees really needed front line pitching help, all the big-time names (Hamels/Price/Cueto) had been moved. I'm actually OK with them holding on to their top assets rather than trade them for middling starters like Samardzija. I don't seem him, or the other available pitchers whose names I heard, being a big enough upgrade over Nova & Eovaldi to trade away their top assets. The Yankees seem well on the road to making the playoffs. Hopefully Pineda comes back by then and we have a front three of Tanaka, Pineda & Nova with a solid bullpen behind them. I'd take my chances on that, especially considering how low expectations were for this team this season.

Agree but that front three is so so iffy they have little chance to beat most in a big series. Unless they continue to wield these bats - who could've seen this? The guys who impress me the most during this run are Gregerious and Headly. Big hits, good AB's and making plays in the field to boot. Actually went from painful to watch to fun. Fingers crossed but it will be a wire finish.

Reaction Score
Would you have bet that Tanaka's arm or Pineda's head would last all season? How about Tommy John surgery recovery and Nova? Saratoga?

We needed a starter before Pineda went down and they might not of had to given up Severino or Judge to get a good pitcher. This was irresponsible.
Cash is pretty lucky Girardi has made some pretty injured and mediocre teams competitive.

CC needs to head to the 'pen and Warren needs that spot because they did nothing. They get a little better just doing that. Sick of him giving up 4-5 in the first 2-3 innings most of the time.

Reaction Score
This team is fun to watch right now I just don't wanna get my hopes up, I had no expectations going into the season for the first time in ages and I will keep it that way. This team does remind me of the 04 Yankees, a great lineup and a killer pen, but inconsistent pitching. In 04 the pen got worn out by the playoffs.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
CC needs to head to the 'pen and Warren needs that spot because they did nothing. They get a little better just doing that. Sick of him giving up 4-5 in the first 2-3 innings most of the time.
There is no room for CC in the pen. He blows.

The rotation right now:

Tanaka...waiting for something to tear.
Nova...waiting for the inevitable post TJ dead arm
Eovaldi...I like him
CC...R.I.P.
Severino...allelujah time?

Reaction Score
There is no room for CC in the pen. He blows.

The rotation right now:

Tanaka...waiting for something to tear.
Nova...waiting for the inevitable post TJ dead arm
Eovaldi...I like him
CC...R.I.P.
Severino...allelujah time?

There is room with mop up time. Instead you elect to throw him out there so he can deflate the offense with yet another amount of runs to catch up to? Let Mitchell take Warren's spot and send him back to the rotation. Bad enough they brought Severion up during a time of NEED rather than with a solid lead in the standings. Instead the guys behind them are adding players and getting better and he needs to win or Cashman looks like a fool.

If you're not sitting here waiting for a 2 week slide then you're not a Yankee fan. this staff is a mess.

Reaction Score
Pineda out until "at least September" is all you have to know - he's probably done.

Sure wish they had made a move because now desperation will surely lend then to need to give up more than they wish. Mateo for Kimbrel would have been okay and helped the bullpen. Beatniks last night scared the crap out of me - that early great control isn't quite that as of late. And seriously, you come into the middle of a pitch count to Jackie Bradley Jr and throw all curve balls in the dirt? You think he would've caught up to a 98 MPH cheese? God what were they thinking?

Still love this big innings they seem to thrive on. Strange team but fun. LOL

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Pineda out until "at least September" is all you have to know - he's probably done.

Sure wish they had made a move because now desperation will surely lend then to need to give up more than they wish. Mateo for Kimbrel would have been okay and helped the bullpen. Beatniks last night scared the crap out of me - that early great control isn't quite that as of late. And seriously, you come into the middle of a pitch count to Jackie Bradley Jr and throw all curve balls in the dirt? You think he would've caught up to a 98 MPH cheese? God what were they thinking?

Still love this big innings they seem to thrive on. Strange team but fun. LOL

Hey mau. Good year so far to love the Pinstripes who are suddenly the Bombers again. I know the bullpen has a lot to do with the success this year, but I was never a fan of the Kevin Long era. Almost everyone on the team not named Texiera will go the other way often enough now that they actually score some runs without the HR. I think it's why they are getting a ton of HRs because they are relaxed and hitting the ball where it's pitched much more often. Of course it doesn't hurt either that Chris Young is now Lou Gehrig against lefties and he's shown signs even forgetting his HR last night that he isn't all that much of an automatic out when he faces rightie relievers. Looking forward to the young stud today. I thought Owens was okay, but if he only uses off speed for his out pitch, he might not be that effective over the long haul.

OT - Finally, for an elderly gentleman I had a decent golf round on Monday at Meadowbrook in RI. 42 on the back side my best 9 in awhile. I decided I don't like the course that much, a bit of sameness to the holes. Nearby Beaver River, while shorter, I think is a harder, more interesting and about $15 less. Better looking servers at the 19th hole to boot.

Reaction Score
Hey mau. Good year so far to love the Pinstripes who are suddenly the Bombers again. I know the bullpen has a lot to do with the success this year, but I was never a fan of the Kevin Long era. Almost everyone on the team not named Texiera will go the other way often enough now that they actually score some runs without the HR. I think it's why they are getting a ton of HRs because they are relaxed and hitting the ball where it's pitched much more often. Of course it doesn't hurt either that Chris Young is now Lou Gehrig against lefties and he's shown signs even forgetting his HR last night that he isn't all that much of an automatic out when he faces rightie relievers. Looking forward to the young stud today. I thought Owens was okay, but if he only uses off speed for his out pitch, he might not be that effective over the long haul.

OT - Finally, for an elderly gentleman I had a decent golf round on Monday at Meadowbrook in RI. 42 on the back side my best 9 in awhile. I decided I don't like the course that much, a bit of sameness to the holes. Nearby Beaver River, while shorter, I think is a harder, more interesting and about $15 less. Better looking servers at the 19th hole to boot.

19th hole is much more important than many understand it to be! LOL

Reaction Score
Have to be extremely excited about what you saw from Severino. Control needs to get better but nerves had to be there, held on too long a few times but his stuff is electric.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Have to be extremely excited about what you saw from Severino. Control needs to get better but nerves had to be there, held on too long a few times but his stuff is electric.
Yup. Looked good.
Curious how you felt about Girardi pinch hitting McCann. I know why he did it and it isn't the screwiest move on Earth, but Grigorious has been hitting lately, was not cold coming off the bench and has no leg issues. It seems like Girardi had the long ball in his head when a single in that spot is perfectly fine.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You guys have a real special kid in Severino. There are bound to be a few rough patches coming up as he gets used to the grind of the majors, but stick with him - I have a feeling he will be the ace of the staff in a year or two.

Reaction Score
Yup. Looked good.
Curious how you felt about Girardi pinch hitting McCann. I know why he did it and it isn't the screwiest move on Earth, but Grigorious has been hitting lately, was not cold coming off the bench and has no leg issues. It seems like Girardi had the long ball in his head when a single in that spot is perfectly fine.

Gregarious has not only been hot but he's been clutch. Joe's had a few head scratchers as of late even with the 'pen but who's to argue I guess right?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
All in all, the past few years Joe has been a wizard.

I've been whining about not improving the team for this year's stretch run. Especially with the pitching staff screaming injury.

But it is a good time for Yankee fans in spite of that. Severino, the way the old guys are hitting, getting closer to ending the contracts that have been strangling us, minor league is so improved. The future is brighter than it has been in a while.

Reaction Score
Just hand the Jays the AL East already, the division is the least of the yankees worries right now they keep on sliding they won't even get the 2nd wild card. Now the lineup has hit a huge slump at the wrong time. Miller isn't as dominant as he was earlier in the season, and Ellsbury aside from him slumping he doesn't even attempt to steal bases anymore or run hard in the outfield something just doesn't look right. The yankees are like the car that keeps going into the shop for repairs rather then just getting a brand new car. Well see what happens going forward this is why I didnt get my hopes up. Just an incredibly streaky hot and cold team with no energy. The Jays on the other hand are on FIRE.

Reaction Score
Ellsbury and Gardner are both weird and tough to have at the the top. They go from .260 to .320 and back twice a year but when they fade it's like a lead balloon. They don't run because Joe doesn't want to ruin the potential for the long ball and now he should be changing but isn't. Miller is fine, a sawed off blooper tied it up. Brantley owns every Yankee pitcher anyway so he was bound to get a hit. The only guys who have been hitting haven't been moved - Didi, Beltran and Headley should all be closer. I would turn it upside down and lead off Didi and bat Headley 2nd. Ellsbury is putrid and Gardner not much better. And as long as Brett continues to show up the umps even when he's wrong he won't get the benefit of the doubt ever, he's a dope. Can't get on ARod and Tex they were carrying for along time it's time for others. Beltran is trying I admit.

Crazy how they all slump together and it's not the pitching their facing they just can't hit suddenly. Oh well can they hold on for dear life or like you say, nothing left in the tank?

Good thing was how Severino came back from early control problems which led him to pitching behind int he count the first couple of innings. He calmed and was really impressive. Why didn't we see more change ups in the early innings? It's a go-to pitch and only threw 1 or 2 - not easy to pitching the majors behind and just throwing fastballs.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
In my mind, if this season is lost, it's on Cashman.
Blue Jays improved. We did nothing & lost Pineda.

Reaction Score
In my mind, if this season is lost, it's on Cashman.
Blue Jays improved. We did nothing & lost Pineda.

Agree to a point David but the theory would have been to get a pitcher right? But it's the hitting that is now losing ground not the pitching. The pitching has kept us in most every game and no one is hitting. We lost 3 of them 2-1,2-1, 1-0. No one thought they'd need a bat.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Agree that you can't fault Cashman when it's the offense costing them games. It would be like if Alderson made no moves and the Mets suddenly started losing game 8-7.

What did you want Cashman to do? Trade for Tulo, Bruce, or Upton? Probably not. You (general you, Yankees fans) probably wanted Cueto, Price or some other arm. Well, Cueto isn't going to help much when the team is scoring 0 or 1 per game.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
It is a long season and our pitching will catch up with us. It is fairly likely Nova's arm will go dead and Tanaka is millimeters from the DL. The only pitcher with a history of pitching a full MLB season is Sabathia. So I think we needed pitching help. And a second baseman. I know we lost the last 4 games do to lack of hitting, but that is not our big problem. I think only one of our five starters has pitched a full mlb season. And he is pitching the worst.
Fortunately, Severino looks good. So it hasn't been an issue yet. If he stays sharp, Pineda returns fine, CC, Tanaka and Nova get through the season, I'm wrong. But I think it was an irresponsible decision to stand put, especially with Pineda out and Severino not having thrown a pitch in the bigs yet.
And second base is a mystery to me. Drew Ackley, Ryan. It is a collection of guys who can't bat their weight and Refsnyder who they won't let play.

Reaction Score
It is a long season and our pitching will catch up with us. It is fairly likely Nova's arm will go dead and Tanaka is millimeters from the DL. The only pitcher with a history of pitching a full MLB season is Sabathia. So I think we needed pitching help. And a second baseman. I know we lost the last 4 games do to lack of hitting, but that is not our big problem. I think only one of our five starters has pitched a full mlb season. And he is pitching the worst.
Fortunately, Severino looks good. So it hasn't been an issue yet. If he stays sharp, Pineda returns fine, CC, Tanaka and Nova get through the season, I'm wrong. But I think it was an irresponsible decision to stand put, especially with Pineda out and Severino not having thrown a pitch in the bigs yet.
And second base is a mystery to me. Drew Ackley, Ryan. It is a collection of guys who can't bat their weight and Refsnyder who they won't let play.

Yeah Ackely is the best they could do? Crazy

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Now they are looking at Utley off waivers. Similar BA to Drew but with less power.

Reaction Score
Now they are looking at Utley off waivers. Similar BA to Drew but with less power.

:confused:

Huge power outage and just hit outage. Afraid we saw the smoke and mirrors David and it's coming to an end quickly. Oh well unexpected fun while it lasted - Giants and UConn up next ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom