The Official 2015 Mets Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Official 2015 Mets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
162-15 is 147. 147/2 is 73.5 (74). 74+12 they've already won is 86 wins.

Also, just read a stat. With this start if they play just .488 baseball as they did last season they'll win 84 games. Obv with better pitching and hitting this year I expect them to outplay a .488 winning percentage the rest of the way. Only slightly over .500 rest of the season has them close to 90.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
How the hell is this team one win away from a franchise record winning streak?
Honestly, I'm afraid to talk about it with anyone who isn't a Mets fan--and even then, still mostly just my family.

Funny though, I wear my Mets stuff pretty indiscriminately and only occasionally get comments. In the last week alone, I've been stopped for comments by even complete strangers, probably more times than in the rest of my life combined.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Wow. Can't believe what I am watching. I haven't felt like this since 1986.

Part of the fun in 1986 was traveling down to The Vet, where Mets fans outnumbered Phillies fans by about 5-to-1 and made those games virtual home games. The way Phils are looking this year, no reason Mets fans couldn't do that again.

Reaction Score
It's insane. Even someone like Campbell. He gets thrown in there with Wright's injury and he just does some little thing right every game. An extra base, moving a runner over. Something.

For all the people criticizing them for having some preseason confidence about being good, glad to see this team shoving that right in their faces.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Part of the fun in 1986 was traveling down to The Vet, where Mets fans outnumbered Phillies fans by about 5-to-1 and made those games virtual home games. The way Phils are looking this year, no reason Mets fans couldn't do that again.
Wasn't around in 1986 but I remember similar things 15 years ago in Philly. Mets finished 94-68 and the Phillies finished 65-97. Hopefully we see a repeat of that this year (plus slightly better October results ;)).

Reaction Score
The best thing about this is you have a good pitcher going every game. We haven't hit yet. Timely hits yes has been plentiful so far though.

At some point the bats will have to carry the pitching on occasional starts.

As the season goes on and teams fall out of it I would love to see Alderson go out and get another bat for the bench.

I would also like to see TC late in games have Tejeda and Nieuwenhuis consistently come in for defense when we have the lead in the late innings.

Couldn't ask for more.

Reaction Score
Harvey reached back and struck out Aroid on a 98mph fastball in the ninth inning. Stud

Cause none of the Mets starting pitchers have roided up:rolleyes:

mets1090

Reaction Score
A 3 run blast from Murphy is about the least likely way I saw them beating the Marlins last night.

There's an interesting phenomenon going on where every game I expect them to win yet the next day when I look at their record I don't understand how it's happening.

Hopefully Montero can keep the ball rolling today. Gee has done well to balance out his first 2 poor starts with 2 equally effective starts. It would be great to see Montero pitch well and for Gee to continue trending upwards, either for the sake of a trade or to give Matz and Syndergaard more time to develop.

Reaction Score
On one hand, you look at a win like that and think they got lucky.

On the other hand, Murphy is a good hitter off to a slow start and way overdue. And the staff pitched a hell of a game.

Reaction Score
Long is having Murph stand closer to the plate in the last couple games....2 doubles and a HR

Would still like to see Tejada and Kirk in for defense late in games with a lead.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Long is having Murph stand closer to the plate in the last couple games....2 doubles and a HR

Would still like to see Tejada and Kirk in for defense late in games with a lead.
Playing with a short bench it's tough to use defensive subs with the risk of needing a pinch hitter. I know you said with a lead specifically but even still.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Kirk, Tejada, and the Grandy Man need to go. Grandy won't be let go, the other 2 it's not as hard to release

mets1090

Reaction Score
Kirk, Tejada, and the Grandy Man need to go. Grandy won't be let go, the other 2 it's not as hard to release
Kirk plays solid defense and had an .828 OPS last year (despite his usual high strike out rate). He's struggling this year but he's fine as a backup outfielder, IMO. He was also red hot in the spring so it's not as if he forgot how to play baseball... it's just a tiny sample size so far.

Tejada showed promise in his early years as a potential .300 hitter but at .235 he is nothing more than a backup middle infielder. There is no way I would rather have him start (if Flores/Murphy were to miss time) over Dilson or Reynolds. At the same time I wouldn't want to have Dilson/Reynolds sitting on the bench so I think we're fine where we are. Next year there probably isn't a spot for Tejada.

Grandy has at least been swinging the bat well but is running into some bad luck. As you said, there's no chance he's going anywhere so there isn't even any reason to discuss it.

Alum86

Reaction Score
Tejada and Kirk are horrible. Plain and simple. Flores is a tad better than Tejada.
Every year is next year with the Madoff Mets. Tired of it. Trade for a SS who can hit. I have bad feeling we are running out of house money on this great start.

Reaction Score
Give Reynolds at ss and Herrera at 2B a shot as the DP combo for a couple weeks. Murphy to 3B until Wright is back.

Alum86

Reaction Score
Back to back 1-0 shutouts. Welcome back to earth Mets

mets1090

Reaction Score
No Wright and no d'Arnaud is going to yield some tough days at the plate. Pitching will continue to keep this team in it for the most part but the offense needs to remain healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom