The Official 2015 Mets Thread | Page 25 | The Boneyard

The Official 2015 Mets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Gotta give the Sox credit for taking 2/3 with our big 3 pitching. That being over, Colon with 8 dominant innings last night and Cards beat the Nats so back up to 6.5 games. Have a real chance here of getting a lot of separation this week. Have to take advantage.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Love Geno and that was a great promo for all things UConn, but I never want to see him during a Mets-Phillies game again. His winning mojo is so strong that his beloved Phillies went from 0-0 to up 5-0 by the time they were done with him.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
And I don't ever want to see Parnell pitch for the Mets again.

Ever.

Reaction Score
Same goes for O'Flaherty and Carlos Torres. Honestly, even though we lost we were due to lose to the Phillies at some point. Main thing right now is that we maintain the lead. It would've been nice to be 7.5 up, but nothing about the Nats scares me at this point and since they lost its still 6.5 up with another day shaved off the calendar for both teams. No harm done.

Harvey day!

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Collins living a charmed life so he decides to instill self esteem in that POS Parnell, hours back on the roster. Fire the fool

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Up 4 with 3 against surging Nats on road with their 3 aces hurling.
Chaos in Metsville. Niese first.
Can we take 2 in DC? I would sign on for 1. What say all?

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I'd really like to see David Wright on the bench for the rest of this season. He's clearly not feeling well right now and the last thing we need is for him to push himself too soon and wind up in an even worse way. I don't want 2015 to be his last season.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I'd really like to see David Wright on the bench for the rest of this season. He's clearly not feeling well right now and the last thing we need is for him to push himself too soon and wind up in an even worse way. I don't want 2015 to be his last season.

Just made myself look stupid again.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You were saying?

Glad he's in there right now.

Wright's condition is not one that is ever going to heal.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
HUGE comeback to clean up Neise's mess.

Let's see if Harvey can clean up his own mess tomorrow.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Wright's got a .757 OPS since returning and has been more than fine in the field. The fact that he's been a starting quality 3B after taking ~4 months off tells me he is fully capable of contributing. He probably can't play 6 games a week anymore but as long as they continue to have a solid backup option, that's not the end of the world.

Huge win yesterday and lots of credit to the bullpen obviously. If they can win today, there will be a ton of pressure on the Nats tomorrow (and the rest of the way).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I am very interested to see how Harvey performs tonight after all the crap he and and Boras stirred up over the weekend. After yesterday's unexpected win I might consider actually skipping Harvey again tonight, to stick it to him and Boras for that little stunt. We all know he's gone when his contract is up anyway, so why even try to pretend that the guy cares about the team? Hold him out as long as you can, use him in the post-season as needed, and then trade his ass in the offseason to bring in another quality piece. Maybe even get some cash back because his contract is so cheap for the next few years, and that might help them make a legitimate run at keeping Cespedes.

Really makes you appreciate a guy like Colon, who just loves the game and does his job whenever you ask him to do it. No complaining, no pitch counts or innings limits. Just play the game.

mets1090

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/sto...-september-workload-limited-innings-cap-looms

At that point, I'd rather shut him down. I think the starting and stopping can be worse for an arm than just pitching on regular rest. If they insist on this silly 60 pitch cap, I'd also prefer to just have him on notice that the first time a starting pitcher is looking like he's done after 6 and the game is close, he's coming in and finishing the game.

I guess it's either that or you go with deGrom, Syndergaard, Matz (assuming the blister isn't a big deal), and then Harvey/Niese are hand cuffed together with Niese coming in for the 5th inning on. I think if you have to put one of the starters in the bullpen, Colon is the most likely to succeed despite his stuff probably being least suited for the role. He's just a "give me the ball whenever and I'll pitch" kind of guy and I don't think he'll be affected one bit by moving to the bullpen.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/sto...-september-workload-limited-innings-cap-looms

At that point, I'd rather shut him down. I think the starting and stopping can be worse for an arm than just pitching on regular rest. If they insist on this silly 60 pitch cap, I'd also prefer to just have him on notice that the first time a starting pitcher is looking like he's done after 6 and the game is close, he's coming in and finishing the game.

I guess it's either that or you go with deGrom, Syndergaard, Matz (assuming the blister isn't a big deal), and then Harvey/Niese are hand cuffed together with Niese coming in for the 5th inning on. I think if you have to put one of the starters in the bullpen, Colon is the most likely to succeed despite his stuff probably being least suited for the role. He's just a "give me the ball whenever and I'll pitch" kind of guy and I don't think he'll be affected one bit by moving to the bullpen.
They've already said they won't use Harvey out of the bullpen. And I don't think Niese has the mental/emotional fortitude for it.

It is an interesting fix they are in. I don't think there is any real plan beyond tonight; the rest are just possibilities, but clearly nothing has been resolved.

The problem I have is that Boras and Harvey are trying to ram this line of crap down the Mets throats based on junk science. The Mets have done a lot of things wrong over the years, but I think they've been more than reasonable here. They've tried everything to work with Harvey, and all he gives in return is basically a contrary reaction to everything they've offered. I'm so sick of his fake macho act.

mets1090

Reaction Score
I think the worst thing about this whole thing is that Boras supposedly just assumed they were shutting him down at 180 which is a load of crap. All season the plan has been to use a 6 man rotation and skip starts when possible so that they can pitch him in the post season without him throwing 230 innings. Meanwhile, Harvey was most vocal in disliking the 6 man rotation. Would he have preferred to be shut down in mid August?

Boras is just a headache in general. It's already been generally accepted that Harvey isn't signing once the 6 years of control are up. It's just a matter of when they trade him at this point. No real rush to move him, but I don't think anyone will blame the Mets for trading him as long as they get some top talent back. If they can get a good package for him this off season, I would probably do it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah, I think the only thing that everyone is in agreement about is that it is in everyone's best interest for Harvey to perform well tonight.

I think Boras made a gross misjudgment here on a few different levels. First, he's full of crap and he cherry picked stats from a sample size so small that it would be laughed out of court if ever offered as evidence of anything, and no legitimate doctor would ever rely on it as anything other than anecdotal. Second, he totally screwed the Mets with his timing and manner of raising the issue. Third, and most importantly, he just put a big bulls eye on his client and gave notice to the rest of MLB that Harvey should be approached with caution because he is not a team player and he is fragile, both physically and mentally.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Would he have preferred to be shut down in mid August?
You know, it just dawned on me that Harvey was probably thinking that the Mets would not be playing meaningful baseball games by that time, so it wouldn't matter if he shut down then.

I'm not saying that would have been an unfounded sentiment based on recent history, but it's still pretty sad if that's what he was thinking.

mets1090

Reaction Score
You know, it just dawned on me that Harvey was probably thinking that the Mets would not be playing meaningful baseball games by that time, so it wouldn't matter if he shut down then.

I'm not saying that would have been an unfounded sentiment based on recent history, but it's still pretty sad if that's what he was thinking.
Yeah Gary Cohen said the same thing during yesterday's game. The only explanation for Boras saying he assumed Harvey would be shut down at 180 innings is that he thought they wouldn't be in a playoff race and would be able to just shut him down early. I'm sure they would have shut him down at 180 if they weren't in a race.

But screw Harvey and Boras, this franchise and every guy in that room deserves to go for it right now. You never know when you'll get another shot. Ask David Wright. Heck, ask the Nationals.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah Gary Cohen said the same thing during yesterday's game. The only explanation for Boras saying he assumed Harvey would be shut down at 180 innings is that he thought they wouldn't be in a playoff race and would be able to just shut him down early. I'm sure they would have shut him down at 180 if they weren't in a race.

But screw Harvey and Boras, this franchise and every guy in that room deserves to go for it right now. You never know when you'll get another shot. Ask David Wright. Heck, ask the Nationals.
I didn't hear Cohen say that during the game, but I was watching part of it on delay and fast-forwarding through everything but game action, so I must have missed it then.

Fully agree with your conclusion though. I mean, obviously you can't be reckless about it, and if we were out of contention there would have been no reason not to be conservative and shut him down. But there is simply no legitimate science to support the 180-inning limit. Sure, Strasburg hasn't had any other elbow problems yet, but he's had just about every other type of problem--especially the mental problem resulting from letting Boras get in his head. We'll see soon enough how Harvey is doing on that score.

Reaction Score
Cespedes waived his 5 day window clause! That means ZERO excuses to sign him. 1) They've said if we show up, they'll spend. Guess what? We've showed up. 2) Cespedes waived his clause, and the proof of how he affects the team has been shown since his first game on 8/1. NO excuses not to pay him.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Cespedes waived his 5 day window clause! That means ZERO excuses to sign him. 1) They've said if we show up, they'll spend. Guess what? We've showed up. 2) Cespedes waived his clause, and the proof of how he affects the team has been shown since his first game on 8/1. NO excuses not to pay him.
That's good news. I hope we can take advantage of it instead of being used to jack his price up. I've been loving watching the guy play--especially in the field. Insanely talented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom