The Official 2015 Mets Thread | Page 23 | The Boneyard

The Official 2015 Mets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Bad: The record against the Cubs and Pirates (0-12).

All that means is the Mets are due to win a bunch of games against them. And they can't play either of them until the NLCS (barring some crazy turn where the Mets lose the division but pass the Cubs for the second WC spot). World Series, here we come!

p.s. They're 0-13. They played a 4 game series with the Cubs.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
All that means is the Mets are due to win a bunch of games against them. And they can't play either of them until the NLCS (barring some crazy turn where the Mets lose the division but pass the Cubs for the second WC spot). World Series, here we come!

p.s. They're 0-13. They played a 4 game series with the Cubs.

It's baseball. Anything can happen. But it does stink that the three best NL teams are all from the Central and only one can make it to the NLCS. By default either Mets or Dodgers make it to the NLCS if things stay as they are.

But I'd take the Bucs in a seven game series this year, even if Mets threw Harvey, Thor and deGrom every game. And that's not because the Mets stink, it's simply because the Pirates are constructed better and have a butt load more experience in winning high intensity games. I just don't know if they'll get past Cards to have that opportunity, because the Cards become more like the Soviet Red Army Team with each passing week.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Realistically the Mets aren't one of the 4 or 5 best teams in the NL and I don't think any of us actually thought they were coming into the season. I'm happy enough to get to the playoffs and roll the dice with our staff. If the 2006 Cardinals could win...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Montero should be able to come back soon, having made 3 rehab appearances.
  • Rafael Montero had a setback while logging three innings for Class A St. Lucie and is unlikely to contribute to the Mets anytime soon.

• General manager Sandy Alderson tells Mike Puma in the Post that he does not expect a reliever to be obtained via trade. “I don’t foresee us making a trade,” Alderson said. Puma suggests Vic Black is an option for a promotion from Triple-A Las Vegas. Erik Goeddel, whose rehab assignment has shifted to Double-A Binghamton, now might return to the Mets before rosters expand on Sept. 1.

Reaction Score
I missed this whole weekend moving (never fun). Glad we are still 4.5 games up, but feel like we lost a good chance of fattening up to 6-7 games up.

mets1090

Reaction Score
I missed this whole weekend moving (never fun). Glad we are still 4.5 games up, but feel like we lost a good chance of fattening up to 6-7 games up.
I choose to look at it like we're fortunate to not be up 2.5 games.

• Rafael Montero had a setback while logging three innings for Class A St. Lucie and is unlikely to contribute to the Mets anytime soon.

• General manager Sandy Alderson tells Mike Puma in the Post that he does not expect a reliever to be obtained via trade. “I don’t foresee us making a trade,” Alderson said. Puma suggests Vic Black is an option for a promotion from Triple-A Las Vegas. Erik Goeddel, whose rehab assignment has shifted to Double-A Binghamton, now might return to the Mets before rosters expand on Sept. 1.
Vic Black seems to have the same issues as Parnell but worse (7.20 ERA in AAA). Give him a couple innings of garbage time in September but I don't see how they call him up before that.

Getting Goeddel back should be helpful. Remove O'Flaherty/Parnell and replace them with Goeddel/Verrett and maybe things don't look so bad in the bullpen.

And Montero is basically a joke at this point. Tests once again reveal no structural damage. I'd trade him to any team that thinks he has value. (Realistically just shut him down this year, hope he pitches well next year, and use him as deadline trade bait)

Edit: It would be nice if they found a way to make room for Smoker on the 40 and call him up. Lefty reliever that sits at 95-96 and has 11.5 K/9 this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Logan Verrett is on the way up, hopefully Parnell will be DFA. Can't keep running him out there. Mantra for hitting is "If you don't hit you don't play". Should be the same for pitchers.

On a side note, kinda funny how Wright and Parnell's seasons have gone after throwing Thor's lunch away and getting on him in Spring Training.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Logan Verrett is on the way up, hopefully Parnell will be DFA. Can't keep running him out there. Mantra for hitting is "If you don't hit you don't play". Should be the same for pitchers.

On a side note, kinda funny how Wright and Parnell's seasons have gone after throwing Thor's lunch away and getting on him in Spring Training.
I'm guessing Parnell is getting a trip to the DL with a phantom injury. Shut him down for 2 weeks and bring him back when the rosters expand. Give him a couple garbage innings as his last tryout for the year to see if he's got anything left in the tank.

I would also say that the reviews on Thor having spectacular focus and wanting to learn everything he can might also be at least somewhat attributable to that Spring Training story. He had a 4.6 ERA in a full season of AAA last year so obviously he made a huge jump. How much of it has to do with focus is purely speculation, but I choose to believe the vets helped him out in what I like to call a "teachable moment."

Reaction Score
I agree, and the vets were right to do what they did at the time. Just ironic thinking how the year played out.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Parnell to DL. Was offered to go back to AAA, DFA or DL and he chose DL.
This would seem to be the right move. Hopefully Verrett pitches well so we can avoid the "What else could go wrong for the bullpen" narrative.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Why is it that the bullpen can throw like 7 scoreless innings in a tie game but can't get 4 outs without drama when they have a 4 run lead?

Also, Duda was completely lost on that play. I have no idea how he didn't see that Familia was going towards the bag with the play in front of him. No harm no foul but these are mistakes that you really can't afford to make in the long run.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Funny, I received a similar message in a text from a buddy of mine in Los Angeles.

Reaction Score
Is deGrom officially in the hunt for a Cy? I read yesterday that he's the player most people from other teams talk about when the Mets come to town.

Reaction Score
I would think so, whether he gets it or not is another story (Grienke, Kershaw, etc). He's definitely in the discussion though.

mets1090

Reaction Score
It's going to be tough to take it from Greinke but really if he just has a couple mediocre starts his ERA could easily "skyrocket" to like 1.80. At that point it's close enough that it's a real discussion, especially if deGrom continues to cut his down.

Fun stat from last night's broadcast. In 22 of his 45 career starts, deGrom has allowed 1 or 0 runs.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Just saw that the Dodgers were losing in the first inning and it reminded me that entering today the Mets are only 3 games back. A nice hot streak against this weak schedule would be nice to not only try to put the Nationals away but also maybe steal home field advantage in the first round.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The only good thing to come of the rain delay during the Pirates game the other day was that I got to watch the SNY special on deGrom that they showed in the interim. What a great kid. In that mess of hair I had a totally different idea about he really looked like, and a totally different perception of what he would be like. Really impressed with his laid back intensity, if that makes sense. Kind of a calm confidence I guess. But you really don't get that sense at all when you see him leaping off the mound.

He's impossible not to like. And pretty mind-blowing that he was converted to a pitcher after he was drafted. Not that that in itself is unheard of, but it's pretty rare to result in this level of success. To the point where it's impossible for me to envision him as a position player.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Actually, deGrom was converted to pitcher going into his Junior year at Stetson. He faced Chris Sale that season and homered off of him; pretty incredible when you realize that he's a left-handed hitter facing one of the best lefties around.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Btw, I would have thought that the singular was "Rocky," not "Rockie."

Reaction Score
So they bring up Verrett to spot start Harvey and he gives us 8 IP with 1 ER? This season is starting to gather some mojo. Maybe I need to don the Judges robe?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This. Is. Insane.

Crazier still, when deGrom was forced out of the game I got a funny feeling that these guys wanted to and would rally for him in appreciation of the yeoman's work he's been doing.

Hope they can hold it.

Reaction Score
This. Is. Insane.

Crazier still, when deGrom was forced out of the game I got a funny feeling that these guys wanted to and would rally for him in appreciation of the yeoman's work he's been doing.

Hope they can hold it.
Mets brought the altitude from Coors Field with them tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom