The Official 2015 Mets Thread | Page 21 | The Boneyard

The Official 2015 Mets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
One note I read after last night is that Syndergaard has never pitched more than like 130 innings and he's at something like 113 right now. There was mention of moving him to the pen to conserve his arm?!?! Or shutting him down? I wonder what cap Harvey has in Year 1 after surgery too.
Stop. You are scaring me. Today s*cked. His fastball had zero movement.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
One bad start. He had a few starts like that earlier in the year too where he struggled to miss bats. A couple more and I think the discussion starts to turn to a phantom "shoulder fatigue" DL stint though.

Just try to focus on the positives. The Nationals just lost on a day where Scherzer was on the mound and Zimmerman/Werth combined for 3 HR.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Wright to DH in tonight's St. Lucie game.

mets1090

Reaction Score
I'm curious what your opinions are on Gilmartin. At what point do you have to give him a shot at pitching a 7th inning with a small lead? Parnell has looked pretty terrible and Robles can be erratic (and has an ERA over 4, though it's obvious he does have upside). If we're being honest, the bridge to Clippard/Familia is generally an adventure and rarely inspires confidence.

I know Gilmartin hasn't pitched in all that many high pressure situations this year, but his ERA is down to 2.08, his peripherals are pretty solid, he gets both lefties and righties out fairly well, and half his innings have come in games where he pitches 2 or 3 innings so it's not as if he's strictly pitching against the bottom half of the order. Why not give him a shot in an important inning?

For reference, the Mets are 11-25 in games that he has pitched and it's obviously not because of his personal results. They just only use him when they're trailing, winning by a lot, or the starter doesn't get out of the 5th inning. I get that he has value excelling in that role, but he could have far more value if he was merely competent in the 7th inning.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Gerrit Cole had that problem in several starts in his first year, if it makes you feel any better. He learned quickly that MLB hitters can tee up a straight 99-mph heater like it was a hanging slider.

He got better.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You guys hearing this chatter during the game about UConn being a MLB pipeline? Wish we had gotten an insurance run or two off Oberg but that was good PR stuff for our Huskies!

Reaction Score
8893 said:
You guys hearing this chatter during the game about UConn being a MLB pipeline? Wish we had gotten an insurance run or two off Oberg but that was good PR stuff for our Huskies!

Yea, that was awesome.

Reaction Score
Every single time I watch Reyes play I am happy they didn't sign him to a long term deal.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Yeah Reyes very clearly isn't close to the same player he was when he played for the Mets. So much of his ability was a result of incredible physical gifts. Now that he's lost a step or two and his arm isn't quite what it was, he's a pretty unremarkable player. Better than Tejada? Sure. Based on this year's performance, would I want him at $22 million or Tejada at $2 million? Given the payroll restrictions that's a no brainer.

Plus letting Reyes go netted them the draft pick that turned into Plawecki. Imagine if they had Recker and Monell as their two catchers all year during d'Arnaud's absence.

Edit: Also, 2.5 games up. Harvey is good.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah Reyes very clearly isn't close to the same player he was when he played for the Mets. So much of his ability was a result of incredible physical gifts. Now that he's lost a step or two and his arm isn't quite what it was, he's a pretty unremarkable player. Better than Tejada? Sure. Based on this year's performance, would I want him at $22 million or Tejada at $2 million? Given the payroll restrictions that's a no brainer.

Plus letting Reyes go netted them the draft pick that turned into Plawecki. Imagine if they had Recker and Monell as their two catchers all year during d'Arnaud's absence.

Edit: Also, 2.5 games up. Harvey is good.

Yeah, he's lost a step. A step in baserunning speed, in arm strength, in range, in bat speed. And knowing his attitude, I can't see him being reinvigorated by playing on the last place Rockies the rest of the year.

Reaction Score
Did you guys see the int with the UConn baseball coach? He was saying how Harvey is a huge UConn basketball fan even though he went to UNC, etc. Then he went on to say how UConn/SNY is a great partnership and "even though you are a Syracuse guy (to the interviewer) UConn is NYC's team, which is why we are exclusive with SNY." I was really pumped he got that shot in.

mets1090

Reaction Score
I saw he was interviewed and got home to find out my dvr didn't record the game :mad:

He's a great ambassador for the athletic department and university. It's easy to see how much he cares about UConn, not just UConn baseball, when you see his quotes about Calhoun and that shot at Syracuse (who doesn't even play baseball). Nice to get UConn some free publicity in New York.

Reaction Score
Well? 3.5 games up in the middle of August. The entire staff is humming. Do we still have some Chicken Littles out there? I'm not. I am ALL IN.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's what I hoped for and thought was possible when I was advocating for the types of moves Sandy ended up making by the trade deadline, and I think it's real.

BUT, the potential innings limitations on our starting rotation is a looming issue that I don't fully appreciate, and it concerns me a bit. My expectations were premised on the strength of our pitching staff, and I am hearing conflicting things about when some of them may need to be shut down, and the possibility of going to a six-man rotation when/if Matz comes back. That's the only question mark for me.

mets1090

Reaction Score
I can't see them shutting Harvey and Syndergaard down and going to a rotation of deGrom, Niese, Colon, and Matz in the playoffs. The fans will crucify them.

If all goes well in the next two weeks and they can manage to get to a 5+ game lead, I still think they should DL Syndergaard with made up shoulder fatigue, replace him with Matz, and give Verrett/Montero a couple spot starts to help limit innings for the others. When Syndergaard comes back from the DL, if they still have a decent lead, you DL Harvey with another phantom condition and repeat the process. Saves both of them like 20 innings so you're not shooting over the limits by like 40 innings in the event of a playoff run.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I can't see them shutting Harvey and Syndergaard down and going to a rotation of deGrom, Niese, Colon, and Matz in the playoffs. The fans will crucify them.

If all goes well in the next two weeks and they can manage to get to a 5+ game lead, I still think they should DL Syndergaard with made up shoulder fatigue, replace him with Matz, and give Verrett/Montero a couple spot starts to help limit innings for the others. When Syndergaard comes back from the DL, if they still have a decent lead, you DL Harvey with another phantom condition and repeat the process. Saves both of them like 20 innings so you're not shooting over the limits by like 40 innings in the event of a playoff run.
Yeah, I guess that's probably the hope--and probably the reason there is no clear answer being discussed because there are a lot of moving parts and assumptions built in.

mets1090

Reaction Score

mets1090

Reaction Score
2 homeruns already in the first inning. Hopefully just a couple mistakes and not Thor having a flat fastball again.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
2 homeruns already in the first inning. Hopefully just a couple mistakes and not Thor having a flat fastball again.
Fark. I'm holding off on lunch until after 1 also and hope it's still a game by then.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Fark. I'm holding off on lunch until after 1 also and hope it's still a game by then.
Same reason I decided to go later. Not overly interested in going somewhere for the game if it's 6-1.

Edit: Well Murph with an RBI double helps calm things down a bit. Let's see if Thor can settle in.

Edit 2.0: And a double by Uribe ties it up. Hope is restored.

Edit 3.0: Johnson doubles to give them the lead. It's not 3 HR on 5 pitches like they did against the Nats, but it's pretty good.

Last edited:

mets1090

Reaction Score
Wow they're playing d'Arnaud today. So much for not wanting to play him too much.

On the plus side, they could play him 6 days a week and not worry about wearing him down since he's missed so much time. He just needs to avoid the tough luck injuries.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Watching Gamecast until I leave for lunch. Nice to see us even it up. Hopefully that pumps up Thor.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Dayum, more first inning excitement!

mets1090

Reaction Score
Glad they timed this offensive outburst with Syndergaard's struggles as opposed to deGrom or Harvey's dominance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom