The next step for Whitmer | The Boneyard

The next step for Whitmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Chandler has some good skills. A good arm. Nice accuracy. Good pocket presence.

One area I noticed where he needs a lot of work is putting air under the ball. Take the TD to Griffin. It was thrown on a rope. Great throw in that situation.

However, often there is a LB underneath on that play. There was one in the NC State game (opposite side of course). This calls for the QB to loft the ball over the LB and have the receiver gather under the ball. The low liner against NC State was an INT. Great play by the LB. But it would have been an impossible play with a little air under the ball.

At this point, I think this is the biggest liability in CW's game. Touch is more than easing up on short throws. It helps the QB throw the ball up to put receivers in a position to go get it. That would have helped Davis late in the WMU game.

I'm not complaining. CW has been a huge upgrade at QB. I'm merely pointing out what I believe is the next necessary step in his maturation.

Reaction Score
CW, thus far, HAS been an upgrade at the QB position. He does show potential. I'd like to see him ignore Deleone altogether and call his own game. He'd probably lead a rebirth in a far too-long dormant passing game and go on to have a shot at being the BE QB of the year. Just saying.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Like the noticeable adjustment to the higher level of play. Looks like a QB should look. Still needs to work on progressions and leading the receivers, but so long as he's not turning the ball over, I'm happy with where he is.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
He has played 5 games at the D1 level. He needs to work on a bunch of stuff but has shown that he can definitely be a good quarterback for 3 years at this school. That's something we haven't had since Dan O.

Reaction Score
I would add footwork to the list. He still gets the happy feet from time to time. Comes with time.

I'm perfectly fine with Whitmer so far. I just wish DeLeone had as much faith in him than I do.

Reaction Score
I would add footwork to the list. He still gets the happy feet from time to time. Comes with time.

I'm perfectly fine with Whitmer so far. I just wish DeLeone had as much faith in him than I do.
I'm actually very impressed with his footwork when it comes to his drop backs. I don't ever recall a QB at UCONN look as comfortable in his drop backs as this kid. He has gotten hit a LOT this year so far, so yeah you see him start anticipating contact when he doesn't get rid of the ball after going through his progressions.

I am very pleased with him so far, and for all the warts of P and D, it shows me they could recruit the QB position better than the previous regime.

Reaction Score
Whitmer's play action fakes need to get tighter.

Whitmer is the real deal, very impressed with his toughness as he has taken some big hits I'm a Jets fan who is convinced Whitmer could beat the crap out of Mark Sanchez in a street fight.

Reaction Score
Whitmer's play action fakes need to get tighter.

Whitmer is the real deal, very impressed with his toughness as he has taken some big hits I'm a Jets fan who is convinced Whitmer could beat the crap out of Mark Sanchez in a street fight.

Do you say this because Sanchez looks and sounds like Fez from "That 70's Show"?

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

I think part of his happy feet comes from the OL being a problem. I actually think the pass protection has been better the last couple of games... but it takes some time for the QB to develop trust.

Reaction Score
I think part of his happy feet comes from the OL being a problem. I actually think the pass protection has been better the last couple of games... but it takes some time for the QB to develop trust.
I agree with this. But I have also been impressed that he has shown pocket presence. Seen him step up which is something we haven't seen in I don't know how many years. For what its worth,I also think he needs to understand that sometimes it is ok to just throw it away. Sometimes I think he waits too long trying ot make something happen. When it doesn't, instead of throwing it into the cheap seats he take the sack.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I agree with this. But I have also been impressed that he has shown pocket presence. Seen him step up which is something we haven't seen in I don't know how many years. For what its worth,I also think he needs to understand that sometimes it is ok to just throw it away. Sometimes I think he waits too long trying ot make something happen. When it doesn't, instead of throwing it into the cheap seats he take the sack.

Yup... I think this is one of the bigger improvements from JMac... last year JM never seemed to know when the pocket was collapsing... and would take sacks that he could have avoid (and that made me fear for his life).. learning to throw the ball away can be tough for some people to learn... a lot of pro QBs still haven't learned this... but he's young... and given the progress he's made from the first game til now... I'm optimistic.

Reaction Score
The best way to learn to ball fake is to watch tape when you actually hand the ball off. That was how Peyton Manning learned to ball fake.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
If you can model any part of your game or work/study habit after Manning you will probably become a better QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RollSkis

Top Bottom