The next piece is the return of football success | The Boneyard

The next piece is the return of football success

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yup. We're in Year 2 of the 3-5 Year B1G Plan. ALL UCONN fans must support football. If you can't buy season tickets, at least grab some tickets to 1-2 games this year (if you can). Or make the trip down to Yankee Stadium for the game against Army. I think that even if football struggles again this year, if UCONN fans boost attendance numbers significantly and show support for the program, that will send a good message. Perception is every bit as important in CR. Rutgers hasn't won a darn thing in 100 years so why were they invited to the B1G? Perception that their fans support the school.

Reaction Score
Yup. We're in Year 2 of the 3-5 Year B1G Plan. ALL UCONN fans must support football. If you can't buy season tickets, at least grab some tickets to 1-2 games this year (if you can). Or make the trip down to Yankee Stadium for the game against Army. I think that even if football struggles again this year, if UCONN fans boost attendance numbers significantly and show support for the program, that will send a good message. Perception is every bit as important in CR. Rutgers hasn't won a darn thing in 100 years so why were they invited to the B1G? Perception that their fans support the school.
Yup. First few games should be (at least near) sell outs with curiosity about the new coach, nice weather, elevated school spirit and oh yeah its BYU, Stony Brook and Boise St. BYU is going to be like Ollie's MSU in Germany for Diaco.

Reaction Score
I believe or hope that the last 3 games last season demonstrated that the talent level here is better than advertised. A solid staff can get this group to 6-7 wins. 2-3 years of solid recruiting can get us to 8-9 wins. Then we pray for a dream season. Ppgdl just absolutely killed us.

Reaction Score
Diaco is an Iowa (and New Jersey) man. What the heck is this dude smoking? Open the dispensaries already.

Reaction Score
Do you really believe that is the reason?

I noticed several posters liked this comment. I think you guys are not being honest about why Rutgers got the invite instead of UConn. I have a hard time believing the B1G presidents and TV partners were sitting in a meeting and when it came down to UConn or Rutgers they chose Rutgers because they think fans support Rutgers more than UConn. But that is exactly what you said the reason was.

It seems like this board has the same discussion every day about why Rutgers got chosen and why the B1G made a mistake not picking UConn, and how UConn controls NYC, and how much you are superior to Louisville, etc.... Which I get to some degree but dont' think that the reasons you are using are really the reasons that caused Rutgers, WVU, or Louisville to get picked over UConn.

BTW do Rutgers fans really support their school? I know in the Midwest the perception of Rutgers is non existent. I talked to a coworker who has a kid going to grad school at Rutgers and she said they all had a big laugh last week when they drove by the FB stadium. They were hoping that Rutgers would build a new one by the time Nebraska has to play in that little half full $h!thole of a stadium. The fact that Nebraska will have more people at the spring game then any team in the NE will have for average attendance pretty much sums up the differences.

Reaction Score
okielite said:
Do you really believe that is the reason? I noticed several posters liked this comment. I think you guys are not being honest about why Rutgers got the invite instead of UConn. I have a hard time believing the B1G presidents and TV partners were sitting in a meeting and when it came down to UConn or Rutgers they chose Rutgers because they think fans support Rutgers more than UConn. But that is exactly what you said the reason was. It seems like this board has the same discussion every day about why Rutgers got chosen and why the B1G made a mistake not picking UConn, and how UConn controls NYC, and how much you are superior to Louisville, etc.... Which I get to some degree but dont' think that the reasons you are using are really the reasons that caused Rutgers, WVU, or Louisville to get picked over UConn. BTW do Rutgers fans really support their school? I know in the Midwest the perception of Rutgers is non existent. I talked to a coworker who has a kid going to grad school at Rutgers and she said they all had a big laugh last week when they drove by the FB stadium. They were hoping that Rutgers would build a new one by the time Nebraska has to play in that little half full $h!thole of a stadium. The fact that Nebraska will have more people at the spring game then any team in the NE will have for average attendance pretty much sums up the differences.

For the 10,000th time. Rutgers is in the middle of the most valuable tv market in the country. They are more valuable than just about everyone else because of that. It ends there. That's it. Period.

As far as support, yes the fans support Rutgers when they are worth watching. That is the northeast in a nutshell. We have tons of options for sports and entertainment so winners sell tickets and losers don't.

Reaction Score
For the 10,000th time. Rutgers is in the middle of the most valuable tv market in the country. They are more valuable than just about everyone else because of that. It ends there. That's it. Period.

As far as support, yes the fans support Rutgers when they are worth watching. That is the northeast in a nutshell. We have tons of options for sports and entertainment so winners sell tickets and losers don't.

That may be the most valuable TV market in the country but it is sure as hell not the most valuable TV market as far as college football is concerned. The TV ratings and attendance from schools in that area confirm beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is little interest in college football from the NE. With the millions of people in the area the fact that schools in that are can't even average a respectable attendance # show how little interest there is. OTOH look at Cuse and UConn BB and you see what people in the NE like to watch, and it's not college football. I thought the benefit of Rutgers was charging all those people who dont' give a crap about Rutgers for carriage of the BTN. Basically adding them strictly for population and because they met academic requirements, as those are the only things that I am aware of that Rutgers has an advantage over UConn in.

I think Rutgers may have value for a conference with a network but to a conference like the Big 12 I doubt Rutgers is worth even a few million. They have no national interest in FB and little to offer beyond simple population. I'd rather have ECU in the Big 12 than Rutgers. At least their fans care enough to show up and support the team.

Reaction Score
uconNYC said:
Fact that spring game is not on TV, Radio or even the UConn website is a concern.

espn owns the rights. Not much the school can do.

Reaction Score
Article is right, we're a couple of competent seasons (read: make a bowl, hopefully against P5, win, have solid attendance) away from being too much of an afterthought for other conferences. Basketball has proven itself to be at another level from anything else that's out there save a VERY small handful of programs, so if the football team can build a reputation of being solid, successful, and consistent, we've got ourselves a heck of a profile.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
espn owns the rights. Not much the school can do.

Whoa, wait a minute: our practices are owned by ESPN? Seriously?

That's ridiculous!

So now this Twitter exchange I caught today between Dez and Joe D is making more sense. Very cryptic:

1. 12:32 PM - 11 Apr 2014
    Desmond Conner ‏@desmondconner Apr 11
    More info on #UConnFootball spring game festivities http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/041114aaa.html…

1:04 PM - 11 Apr 2014
    SrqHusky ‏@Srqhusky73 Apr 11
    @desmondconner des. Any tv access?

1:06 PM - 11 Apr 2014
    @Srqhusky73 not that I've heard but I'm sure @JoeDSports and crew will be doing it?

Joe D'AmbrosioVerified account ‏@JoeDSports
@desmondconner @Srqhusky73 No we won't . We aren't allowed to either on the air or on line .

from Connecticut, USA

1:07 PM - 11 Apr 2014

1. 1:08 PM - 11 Apr 2014
    @JoeDSports: @desmondconner @Srqhusky73 No we won't . We aren't allowed to either on the air or on line .” Wow why?

1:08 PM - 11 Apr 2014
    Joe D'Ambrosio ‏@JoeDSports Apr 11
    @desmondconner Can't get into it. Sorry

Details

2. 1:11 PM - 11 Apr 2014
    @JoeDSports: @desmondconner Can't get into it. Sorry” ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online