The NCAA Tournament manifests the stark difference. . . | The Boneyard

The NCAA Tournament manifests the stark difference. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
. . . between those (players, teams, coaches) who shine when the bright lights are on them in contrast to those who can't handle it. Over on the men's side, upsets of Duke, Kansas, and Syracuse suggest that the underdogs that beat them had what it takes but they, all big favorites, shrank from the challenge.

Individually, Shabazz evokes fond memories of Kemba by his clutch play. Similarly, Strewie reminds us of Diana.

Some very good women's teams with high seedings have struggled, even when winning, against teams with modest resumes.

It's a processs ("one and done"), loosely labeled attrition, that separates contenders from pretenders.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And sometimes, Kibitzer, it is just not your day. Fortunately for UConn fans and for WCBB, the person to whom you compare Ms Stewart was given another chance to excel in a future big moments. As I have posted here a couple of times, her getting up off the floor is the attribute for which I admire her most. The way Coach Auriemma handled his young superstar in her lowest moment is one of my two all time favorite Auriemma moments.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The men's side reflects the difference between rent a player high ranking teams and the mid-major/lesser programs that do not get the talent those teams get, but do get to work with those players for 4 years and actually coach them up.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
The fact that a team has a bad game is not evidence that they "choked", "couldn't handle the pressure", "didn't want it badly enough", "weren't ready for prime time", etc. Remember the first half against Stanford in the NC? The damn ball just would NOT go through the hoop! The Huskies were not overawed, pressurized, or whatever; it was, indeed, just one of those games. Fortunately it only lasted a half. The law of large numbers dictates that there will be times when you roll snakeeyes 20 or 30 times in a row. D's 1/15, as mentioned above, is another great example. D was never intimidated by anything; she just had one of those damn days.

Reaction Score
0/13 on three pointers, Boeheim can't shoot the ball for them.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The men's side reflects the difference between rent a player high ranking teams and the mid-major/lesser programs that do not get the talent those teams get, but do get to work with those players for 4 years and actually coach them up.
Not really. Ken$ucky is the king of "rent a team" and the oily squid just upset the 1 seed and undefeated Witchita State darlings of the NCAA. I mean, I wish you were right, and Kentucky barely escaped, but still, they are on to the sweet 16. UGH...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom