The National Center for Bio-NMR Data Processing and Analysis | The Boneyard

The National Center for Bio-NMR Data Processing and Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Farmington, Conn. (WTNH) – The University of Connecticut is building a new data processing and analysis center for their health center. It will house a nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy (NMR), which lets researchers look at biological molecules at the atomic level.

“UConn Health is ideally suited for this type of prestigious national center,” says UConn’s Vice President for Research, Jeffrey Seemann, Ph.D. “It builds on substantial investments made by the University in network infrastructure, and allows investigators from UConn and across the U.S. access to high performance tools to drive technology development and research breakthroughs.”

Awarded $6.4 million in grant funding from the National Institute for General Medical Sciences within the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the Center will provide U.S. investigators access to a single, downloadable package through a cloud-based platform. UConn Health and University of Wisconsin investigators will collaborate to operate the national center.

Note as regards the collaboration with the University of Wisconsin:

The University of Wisconsin is categorized as an RU/VH Research University (very high research activity) in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education In 2012, it had research expenditures of more than $1.1 billion, the third highest among universities in the country. Wisconsin is a founding member of the Association of American Universities.

http://wtnh.com/2015/09/21/new-center-at-uconn/

Reaction Score
Any of you who thinks this is great clearly never took organic chemistry. NMR gives me memories of close calls with nooses. :-p

Reaction Score
NMR....yeah that one takes me back to Dr. Bailey's Orgo I and II. Still don't know how I got an A in that class second semester. I don't even know how I was able to read an NMR read out at this point but I bet if I looked a reaction I could still predict where the Br- and Fl- molecules go...that's hard wired in at this point.

Hiding peoples Molecule Models like 5 minutes pre-test was one of my favorites.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Please tell me they are going to build the next Blue Waters - would love an excuse like that to come back to CT.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not sure it's good to admit meeting Seemann, but Jeff's a real STEM research $$$, mover and shaker Herbst poached from Texas A&M.
He's an up and coming guy. I think it is fair to say he holds a seminal position in the administration.

Reaction Score
Farmington, Conn. (WTNH) – The University of Connecticut is building a new data processing and analysis center for their health center. It will house a nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy (NMR), which lets researchers look at biological molecules at the atomic level.

“UConn Health is ideally suited for this type of prestigious national center,” says UConn’s Vice President for Research, Jeffrey Seemann, Ph.D. “It builds on substantial investments made by the University in network infrastructure, and allows investigators from UConn and across the U.S. access to high performance tools to drive technology development and research breakthroughs.”

Awarded $6.4 million in grant funding from the National Institute for General Medical Sciences within the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the Center will provide U.S. investigators access to a single, downloadable package through a cloud-based platform. UConn Health and University of Wisconsin investigators will collaborate to operate the national center.

Note as regards the collaboration with the University of Wisconsin:

The University of Wisconsin is categorized as an RU/VH Research University (very high research activity) in the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education In 2012, it had research expenditures of more than $1.1 billion, the third highest among universities in the country. Wisconsin is a founding member of the Association of American Universities.

http://wtnh.com/2015/09/21/new-center-at-uconn/

A nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy ??? Is this the minor leagues!!!???

What, no Flux Capacitor !!!????

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 26

huskypantz

Reaction Score
He's an up and coming guy. I think it is fair to say he holds a seminal position in the administration.
Yeah, he's really shot up through the ranks.

CL82

Reaction Score
Seriously, they had to put a whole lot of incentives to get this guy to join. I've heard he has quite the impressive package.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
He's got two kids in high school on the swim team. His boys can swim.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Really good guy. I guess he ran into a group of young ladies who were down on their luck so he promptly handed out pearl necklaces left and right.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yep he's going to a success here, not just some shot in the dark.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Smithers: "Well, I think women and Seemann don't mix."
Burns: "We all know what you think!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics