"The most talented team in Dook history" vs the UK | The Boneyard

"The most talented team in Dook history" vs the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
"Blue & White Platoon"

which narrative that ESPN is selling this year annoys you most? I think they're both ridiculously silly. They 've been wrong sooooooooooo many times about the preordained greatness of these two programs, that this year they decided to double down. This year those teams are the respective programs "best ever"

Remember last year? when the narrative in November was about "the freshmen"? Sportscenter was all about Wiggins vs Parker, with second by second breakdown of how each was doing at the same moment in time.

how about "the Quest for Perfection"? I'm assuming they thought much the same last season two.

Blue Bloods and Blue Chips get all the attention in November / December, then Blue Collars take over in March.

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
and how can they have a "Tournament of Champions" without the Champion?

how can they have a "Tournament of Champions" without the most successful program of the modern era (defined as either the last 16 seasons or the new millennium)?

looked like a "Tournament of Runner-ups & Wannabes" to me

Reaction Score
Cone on 'yall', let the wannabes have some fun, no need to stress or dwell on it. The whole nation of basketball fans know who the Champion is.
If necessary or if feeling insecure (seeming only us fans are), all they have to do is put this on for media interviews and photo opps:

10118609-large.jpg

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Kentucky has no guards, just a lot of size. Their big are good bc they just over power the opposing team. I'll be more impressed if they maintain this by january/February. Duke I think is the overall better team by of their depth at guard and coach Mike. Well see in a few months

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
"Blue & White Platoon"

which narrative that ESPN is selling this year annoys you most? I think they're both ridiculously silly. They 've been wrong sooooooooooo many times about the preordained greatness of these two programs, that this year they decided to double down. This year those teams are the respective programs "best ever"

Remember last year? when the narrative in November was about "the freshmen"? Sportscenter was all about Wiggins vs Parker, with second by second breakdown of how each was doing at the same moment in time.

how about "the Quest for Perfection"? I'm assuming they thought much the same last season two.

Blue Bloods and Blue Chips get all the attention in November / December, then Blue Collars take over in March.

Heck, I remember back in '98/'99, when Dook had "the most dominant team in college basketball history."

How'd that work out for them?

Reaction Score
Probably an unpopular opinion, but Duke is probably the most complete team in the country. Wisconsin is the only other team I can think of. And Kentucky can jump, that's what I've been most impressed about so far this year. Its like a video game the way they get up. If we had a Duke and Kentucky championship game this year it wouldn't surprise me, I predicted a Final Four of Duke/UK/UConn/Wisconsin to my friends before the season started.

But yeah, screw Kentucky and Duke.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
It's annoying, but it means nothing. ESPN overhypes teams every year in November. If Kentucky still looks this dominant in January, then I'll start to get nervous.

Reaction Score
Last night's eyeball test says Kentucky beat the #4 team 72-40. Teams are gonna wear out by the last 12 minutes. Rebounds and blocks Kentucky. Shooting Duke. Kentucky's multiple bigs will not let Okafor go wild.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Duke may have a lot of trouble rebounding vs Kentucky.

Reaction Score
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400585685

Check out this boxscore/minutes. Sorry it's early in the year and everyone's all *s and giggles about the "team" and the "blue/white" stuff. But there's a lot of real good players who expect to play a lot more than 17 minutes, maybe some buy in but not all. There will be trouble and turmoil. They can probably still win it with that type of dissention because they have the troops, but I promise there will be trouble.

Kids like Johnson, Lee in their soph years and Poythress in his Jr year getting under 20 minutes with their talent? Ridiculous and a waste. If they're good enough kids to live with that I'm impressed but I expect to hear some whacky stuff happen there by years end. Unless the checks are already rolling in they're kids and want to play!

Reaction Score

Check out this boxscore/minutes. Sorry it's early in the year and everyone's all *s and giggles about the "team" and the "blue/white" stuff. But there's a lot of real good players who expect to play a lot more than 17 minutes, maybe some buy in but not all. There will be trouble and turmoil. They can probably still win it with that type of dissention because they have the troops, but I promise there will be trouble.

Kids like Johnson, Lee in their soph years and Poythress in his Jr year getting under 20 minutes with their talent? Ridiculous and a waste. If they're good enough kids to live with that I'm impressed but I expect to hear some whacky stuff happen there by years end. Unless the checks are already rolling in they're kids and want to play!

And the only reason some of these guys got that many minutes is cause the the game was a blowout. They might be lucky to get 10 minutes in a close game.

Reaction Score
There will be a ton of kids that think playing 17 minutes a game- avoiding injury and getting judged on their production per minute is great. The less they have to do before they get to the NBA the better. Remember they are 17 and many of them do not see the value of improving in college when they could improve in the NBA.
This might actually work for the elite players and good for them- but the danger is that few teams continually get 8-10 MC D AAs a year with 6-8 being one and done.

I hate everything about it from a fans perspective. I would rather see them lower the age limit so the kids could go strait to the NBA- that way us fans can continue to watch a TEAM sport and not just a one year showcase for NBA scouts. Hate the Squid. Rant over.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Cal is a great at managing people (some call that being a great bullshi7er) and his skill is that he might be able to work through this. Might.

Let's see how they play in March when people like JC and Ollie have studied their weaknesses and have fully developed their team.

Reaction Score
There will be a ton of kids that think playing 17 minutes a game- avoiding injury and getting judged on their production per minute is great. The less they have to do before they get to the NBA the better. Remember they are 17 and many of them do not see the value of improving in college when they could improve in the NBA.
This might actually work for the elite players and good for them- but the danger is that few teams continually get 8-10 MC D AAs a year with 6-8 being one and done.

I hate everything about it from a fans perspective. I would rather see them lower the age limit so the kids could go strait to the NBA- that way us fans can continue to watch a TEAM sport and not just a one year showcase for NBA scouts. Hate the Squid. Rant over.

I agree with most Scot-e but kids like showing off and can't do a lot of that on the pine.

Reaction Score
I thought the 1999 team was the most talented in Duke history. That was the year the NCAA tournament was renamed "The Duke Invitational."

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Kentucky has no guards, just a lot of size. Their big are good bc they just over power the opposing team. I'll be more impressed if they maintain this by january/February. Duke I think is the overall better team by of their depth at guard and coach Mike. Well see in a few months

Um yeah, no. I can think of over 345 college teams who would trade guards with Kentucky.

Reaction Score
Um yeah, no. I can think of over 345 college teams who would trade guards with Kentucky.
The Harrisons are wildly unimpressive. They're only back because the NBA didn't want them, and I think smaller, quicker guards will kill them.

But they have Ulis, who is small, quick, and talented. He can mix it up, and that may be the difference. We'll see. I'm still taking the field, and I think Kansas had the exact problem Kentucky will feast on (no real PG) throughout the year. Teams will get more cohesive, and can challenge that defense more effectively as the year goes on.

But yeah, they look really really good so far.

Reaction Score
The Harrisons look better to me this year than last. Not all-americans, but improved.

The thing about Kentucky is that - like last year's team but even more this year - even if they can't run a single set or make a single jump shot, they can just throw it off the glass and send 3 monsters to go get it.

Reaction Score
God help me, I have to pull for Duke in this one. I don't know if Calipari can be stopped from winning his second ring this year, but someone at least has to slow him down.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
"Blue & White Platoon"

"Blue Bloods and Blue Chips get all the attention in November / December, then Blue Collars take over in March".

Beautiful !!!!! Put this on t- shirts , I'll buy five.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The Harrisons look better to me this year than last. Not all-americans, but improved.

The thing http://boston.barstoolsports.com/m/...l-those-evolution-believers-wrong-last-night/ Kentuckuy is that - like last year's team but even more this year - even if they can't run a single set or make a single jump shot, they can just throw it off the glass and send 3 monsters to go get it.

I'm not as big on the twins as you, but you couldn't be more right about the second sentiment. They'll have zero issues with foul trouble as well. Can play balls out D without having to worry about anything. Their Zone should be party solid too. UConn wore down Randle a bit last year. Not gonna happen this year.

Didn't think much of the twins last year, so with improvement they'll be just OK imo. That said, having a player with the size/speed/skills of Ulis as a compliment to their game could completely change things for the twins.

Reaction Score
I thought the 1999 team was the most talented in Duke history. That was the year the NCAA tournament was renamed "The Duke Invitational."
People seem to forget that 2004 quickly became "The Uconn Invitational" entering the sweet 16.

Reaction Score
I though Uk looked great the other night but the one problem i still see with them is the Harrison twins. They still look like they would get eaten alive by smaller quicker guards and if that happens it really disrupts and neutralizes that size on the interior just like we did to them in the title game. Unless the freshman Ulis can come in and relieve the struggling twins uk could get in trouble in a late close game.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
We are Kentucky's kryptonite. If anyone can beat them, we can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom