The Men behind the UCONN Woman | The Boneyard

The Men behind the UCONN Woman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am far from the UCONN Campus, so any first hand experience regarding the UCONN Woman’s basketball program is purely speculative from my point-of-view, based upon limited experience and research. However I am curious about the male practice players. Mostly invisible, save for a video now and then of a UCONN practice with the men in action. They are UNKNOWN. However, I get the strong impression that they are a very important part of the training process.

I assume these guys are carefully chosen and work really hard. I have only heard a name one time when Geno, on a tape of a practice session, mentioned that this one guy, whose name I forgot, was a deadly three-point shooter. And, one other time there was a brief mention of a dinner or some sort of celebration, at the end of the year, for these male practice players as a token of the team’s appreciation for all they do.

Most of what we see - THE GAME - is really only a fraction of the program. There are so many other crucial elements that are responsible for the incredible excellence that is the finished product.

Thank you to the Men behind the UCONN Woman for your unselfish contribution towards the success of the incredible human machine currently destroying everything in its path towards HISTORY.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
These are older articles but the do discuss the role of the male practice players.

When Do The UConn Women Face A Challenge? Practice, Courant (2015)

UCONN WOMEN: A few good men helping Huskies refine their game (video), Register (2011)

For These Men, Lots of Guts But Little Glory, NY Times (2004)

''I remember my first day, I was afraid I was going to hurt somebody because they're girls, plus they're famous girls from national television,'' Mike Harrington, another UConn practice player, said. ''Next thing I knew, I was lying on my back. If you don't watch out, these girls will run right over you.''

Reaction Score
These are older articles but the do discuss the role of the male practice players.

UCONN WOMEN: A few good men helping Huskies refine their game (video), Register (2011)

''I remember my first day, I was afraid I was going to hurt somebody because they're girls, plus they're famous girls from national television,'' Mike Harrington, another UConn practice player, said. ''Next thing I knew, I was lying on my back. If you don't watch out, these girls will run right over you.''

I know one of the former practice players (interviewed in one of these articles). I knew him as a high schooler and I know him as an adult. These are young men who, for lack of a better phrase, know their roles. Nothing more, nothing less. Because they love to play, but don't have the skills necessary to play for, say UConn, they are happy to be practice players.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The competition for places on the squad of practice players is said to be fierce, and their is a waiting list of guys for any spot that opens up. They take the task very seriously, are coached seriously by current the grad assistant to provide the right types of look depending on the next opponent. There are temperament considerations - they have to be able to take frequent beatings without letting their ego get involved, and to provide just the right amount of physicality and athleticism, not an easy balance.

I believe the senior practice players were introduced to the crowd prior to a game just before senior night - a mini-senior night of their own. They are much appreciated .... and envied! :)

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Thank you HuskyNan for the links to the articles. They confirmed what I had theorized about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom