The legend, Dan "SPIDER" Hesford | The Boneyard

The legend, Dan "SPIDER" Hesford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm to young to remember his playing days but I'll say he was the best gym teacher ever.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I slightly remember him from the UConn days - remember my father talking about him but I do recall watching him play with the Explorers - those were the days of good semi pro bball - guys like Topsy etc.

Reaction Score
That was right about the time I discovered UConn basketball. Hesford, Toby Kimball, PJ Curran, Penders and Wes Bialosuknia among others. I was nine years old and got hooked. Of course, the great announcing of George Ehrlich helped.

Reaction Score
That was right about the time I discovered UConn basketball. Hesford, Toby Kimball, PJ Curran, Penders and Wes Bialosuknia among others. I was nine years old and got hooked. Of course, the great announcing of George Ehrlich helped.

Saw those guys play my Fr year at UConn 64-65. Great team that went to the final 8 and fun team to watch.

Reaction Score
BTW-don't forget Bill Hollowaty!

Yeah and he and Hesford played together for the Explorers years after too. My brother played for a Meriden team and I saw them play, Wild Bill was a competitive that's for sure, with a dirtiness only a fellow teammate could love.

Reaction Score
The Spider

2s5xfg1.jpg

Reaction Score

UConn77, we must be the same age. That is when I got hooked as well. The great Fred Shabel as coach. The Spider was my favorite player, what a tough son of a gun! #14 I believe. Al and Ron Ritter, Ed Slomcinski. George Ehrlich really was a good announcer. Who was it that teamed up with him? I remember I was so mad when Bill Corley scored 51 points to break Wes Bialosuknia's single game scoring record! I can remember all their numbers. Kimball-42, Curran-21, Penders-15,Wes- 44, Corley-22, Ritter-33. Just unbelievable that we are where we are today.

Reaction Score

UConn77, we must be the same age. That is when I got hooked as well. The great Fred Shabel as coach. The Spider was my favorite player, what a tough son of a gun! #14 I believe. Al and Ron Ritter, Ed Slomcinski. George Ehrlich really was a good announcer. Who was it that teamed up with him? I remember I was so mad when Bill Corley scored 51 points to break Wes Bialosuknia's single game scoring record! I can remember all their numbers. Kimball-42, Curran-21, Penders-15,Wes- 44, Corley-22, Ritter-33. Just unbelievable that we are where we are today.

Reaction Score

Floyd (Hap) Richards teamed with Ehrlich.

Reaction Score
I'm to young to remember his playing days but I'll say he was the best gym teacher ever.
Mr Hesford...Had no idea he was a Uconn legend...Damn. Is that picture of Mr Wojcik?

Reaction Score
Mr Hesford...Had no idea he was a Uconn legend...Damn. Is that picture of Mr Wojcik?

In the picture with him is Mr Andujar another longtime gym teacher at Glenwood/Joel.

Reaction Score
For you guys who don't rememember him , he wasn't that tall but had long arms that enabled him to play taller.( hence the name spider).
He had no regard for his body going after loose balls or rebounds.
I think he believed every loose ball belonged to him.
He was the consummate glue guy every successful team needs.
Think Giffey in 2014 without the touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99