The Lady Vols are "really good" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Lady Vols are "really good"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
mtsuraider06 said:
Today is was announced that the Lady Vol Hall of Fame is being done away with as well. It was started in 2001. This obviously will not sit well with the Lady Vol faithful down here, and across the country. It's another example of Dave Hart, and the Athletic Department, doing something that is completely unnecessary which undermines the excellence that Lady Vols have represented. Also, to be clear, this isn't just a basketball HOF, this was for all women's teams at Tennessee.

"The Lady Volunteer Hall of Fame, which began in 2001, apparently won’t be adding any more inductees. Athletic department spokesman Jimmy Stanton said this week that discussions are underway about “how to best honor and recognize the accomplishments of all of our former student-athletes moving forward.”

Women’s athletes will be considered for future recognition in this context.

The change reflects the university’s announcement Nov. 10 that all women’s teams except basketball effective July 1, 2015 will be known as “Volunteers” and wear the Power T logo, falling in step with the men’s teams."

http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/...-plug-on-lady-volunteer-hall-of-fame_69623605

Hi, I understand football is king down there but I'm wondering if there are any donors, maybe significant donors who would stand with the folks that support the lady Vol brand. Money talks after all and so if you can hit him in the pocket book then perhaps they'll listen a little more closely and not take any further steps

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
ahem.

Past tense of lead is led. Past tense of read is read. Both (present/past for both verbs) rhyme. Don't ask me to explain.
Maybe he meant "lead" as in pencil.... ( which does rhyme with read and red )....

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Maybe he meant "lead" as in pencil.... ( which does rhyme with read and red )....

The "lead" in pencil may be classified as an attributive noun or adjective. There is no past tense for either. Some verbs: plea/pled; bleed/bled; heed/heeded; weed/weeded; feed/fed, etc., etc. All different and taught as such at the elementary school level.
dead-horse.gif
The Creighton game will be televised. I am ready.

Reaction Score
Yes Kibitzer, lead vs led read read..... yes i get it and if that was bothersome to you ... i apologize......

Lady Vol Hall of Fame gone.... wow.... Dave Hart must have a resume in the demolition field..... if he is going to 86 it, that is OK I guess, but how to salute the female athletes of note at UT?

and re: lady vols are really good..... next year will be the real litmus test..... whether Mercedes will be mobile enuf to run the floor, and will DD trust CHW's basketball direction as much as she does her own instincts......

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Yes Kibitzer, lead vs led read read..... yes i get it and if that was bothersome to you ... i apologize.

Lady Vol Hall of Fame gone.... wow.... Dave Hart must have a resume in the demolition field..... if he is going to 86 it, that is OK I guess, but how to salute the female athletes of note at UT?

and re: lady vols are really good..... next year will be the real litmus test..... whether Mercedes will be mobile enuf to run the floor, and will DD trust CHW's basketball direction as much as she does her own instincts.
I can't wait too see Diamond play. Just think she was about 75% last year and was FOY. How good will a fully healthy Diamond be? She will add some excitement.

Reaction Score
Dave Hart also stated that all the women within the programs that will switch to the Power T logo were very supportive. Then us fans start seeing all the current athletes within those programs using social media to show that they will always consider themselves Lady Vols. Doesn't sound like a supportive response to any of us. Holly said the team cheered like they won a championship when she told them they would still be called the Lady Vols. That shows how much the brand means to them.

My opinion of it all... the Lady Vols brand has been a more successful and respected brand than the power T since Pat Summitt and her first team came up with the name in place of the Volettes. Maybe all of the Tennessee programs, men and women, should switch to the Lady Vols. ;)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is an interesting situation at TN because it is fairly unique - I think there have only been a few other schools that set up completely separate athletic departments based on gender and it really does not make sense in a purely business sense - there is a huge overlap of function and facility requirements outside of the specific team coaches and the athletes. So the process of consolidation certainly makes sense but it seems Hart and the TN administration have been particularly ham fisted in the process. The timing was also pretty poorly orchestrated in choosing the season after Pat's move from active coach to kick off. It was an emotional time to start the deconstruction of the fiefdom Pat had built.

The name change which I am sure some marketing guru came up with also makes sense from a business perspective, but is not a huge win financially and is a huge PR issue that could have been postponed a few years to let the emotional 'temperature' on campus and in the community settle down. At this point it just is adding fuel to already heated debates.

Reaction Score
Dave Hart also stated that all the women within the programs that will switch to the Power T logo were very supportive. Then us fans start seeing all the current athletes within those programs using social media to show that they will always consider themselves Lady Vols. Doesn't sound like a supportive response to any of us. Holly said the team cheered like they won a championship when she told them they would still be called the Lady Vols. That shows how much the brand means to them.

My opinion of it all... the Lady Vols brand has been a more successful and respected brand than the power T since Pat Summitt and her first team came up with the name in place of the Volettes. Maybe all of the Tennessee programs, men and women, should switch to the Lady Vols. ;)
Better ask Peyton Manning about that

Reaction Score
So, do y'all think the rivalry will ever come back?

The rivalry hasn't gone anywhere. UConn and LV fans still have special interest in each other's teams, and spend an undue amount of time on each other's boards. Ask a non-fan what's the big showdown game in wcbb, they'll say UConn-Tennessee. Get a tournament game between the two, watch ratings go through the roof, ESPN would feel compelled to hype it. It's a rivalry.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Yes, it is very interesting. I do care about the newer rivalries, ND and Stanford, and they pain me, of course when we lose. But I simple despise the Vols, even though it no longer matters; it like being a Hatfield and trying to like McCoys. Just have to wait for a new generation, Rebecca's kids, etc.

Reaction Score
Like others have already stated, the Lady Vols are always "really good". The bigger question(s) are, will they realize how good they are and can they use that depth and talent to become really good when it matters?

Reaction Score
Yes, it is very interesting. I do care about the newer rivalries, ND and Stanford, and they pain me, of course when we lose. But I simple despise the Vols, even though it no longer matters; it like being a Hatfield and trying to like McCoys. Just have to wait for a new generation, Rebecca's kids, etc.

I hear ya. I do not like the Lady Vols.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I can't wait too see Diamond play. Just think she was about 75% last year and was FOY. How good will a fully healthy Diamond be? She will add some excitement.
I think the fans are having more than enough excitement with games vs. the likes of Chatanooga! ;)

Reaction Score

What are you going to say next year when DD plays, Mercedes is 100% healthy, Cooper arrives, and Tennessee still doesn't make the final four?

Reaction Score
No offense to Rebecca...we all love her. But, in my experience, former players, however legendary, tend to be just fair-to-partly-cloudy when it comes to analysis. Last year, pre-season, RL declined to rank ND in her top five, even though most fans knew better. UT has great talent...we know that. Can Holly make them a "really good" team. Maybe, but it's hard to be super-impressed thus far.

Reaction Score
I doubt she'll be there long.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Just because you recruit high school AA's doesn't mean you are a final four team.

Maybe someone should let Tennessee in on this concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom