The Grand Budapest Hotel | The Boneyard

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Prediction.

Half of us will love it, the other half will wonder what the hell we're thinking.

Reaction Score
I don't know which half I will be in but if I laugh as much as I did for that trailer I can't wait to see it........what a cast!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think a litmus test is if you laugh when you hear the words "Lobby Boy". And laugh again when you see it on a hat.

Reaction Score
Trailer looks great. Wes Anderson manages to get great casts and then makes quirky films with them. I'd say 50/50 is about right. Moonrise Kingdom, Darjeeling Limited, Steve Zissou were not for everyone.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Wes Anderson can be a bit smug sometimes. I like his style, but he tends to take it too far. I don't need the director to keep reminding me every 5 minutes about what a clever movie I am watching. If the movie is clever enough, i will know it is clever.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Wes Anderson can be a bit smug sometimes. I like his style, but he tends to take it too far. I don't need the director to keep reminding me every 5 minutes about what a clever movie I am watching. If the movie is clever enough, i will know it is clever.

I don't get that crticism. What's the difference between clever and too clever?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't get that crticism. What's the difference between clever and too clever?

Watched Moonrise Kingdom recently. Solid movie, not spectacular.

The scene where Jason Schwartzmann offers to marry them is an example of what I mean. it was a very funny scene, with Schwartzmann pointing out that the marriage would not be legal anywhere but he would do it anyway, and then asking them if they were sure. It was a good scene, but then Suzy and Sam step next to a trampoline, and a kid jumps out of the tower and starts bouncing on it. A good scene became silly because Anderson had to go too far.

Also, Suzy and Sam are too earnest in the movie. There is not enough emotion or feeling between them to illustrate why they were doing what they were doing, everything is matter-of-fact delivery between what seem to be two young accountants. I am sure Anderson thought that making these two preteens so earnest would be high comedy, and it is funny for a while, but eventually I started to wonder why they were together.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If Jude Law has a major part, it can't possibly be any good.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Caught this Friday night. No comment besides saying it's a real treat.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
A friend who saw it messaged a bunch of us recommending Budapest movie. Moonrise Kingdom had more good moments than bad, but some scenes seemed pointless.

Reaction Score
I am so looking forward to this one. I absolutely loved Moonrise Kingdom.

Reaction Score
Finally saw it this weekend.

In my opinion.... this was his best movie since "The Royal Tenenbaums". Possibly even better. You know how in the "Royal Tenenbaums" when the Baumer decides to cut his wrists and the movie just veers into being another kind of movie altogether for a few minutes? Well, that really doesn't happen here. And that's why I think this one is better. The cast is perfect, tons of repeat offenders like Wllem Dafoe and Jason Schwartzman, but also now Tom Wilkinson and Harvey Keitel. Not to mention Ralph Fiennes carrying most of the workload.

This movie has elements of all of Wes Anderson's best works. It has the comic, absurd claymation surrealism that "The Talented Mr. Fox" , the funniest humor from The Life Aquatic and TRTs.

For those of you that dislike Jude Law, his role is relatively minor, and you forget that its Jude Law...

He basically made an absurd black comedy that was also kind of touching.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It has those little touches that just kill me. Like Jeff Goldblum's fingerprint card.

Reaction Score
Bottle Rocket, Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums are some of my favorite movies. Life Aquatic and Darjeeling were definitely good but not great like those other three, Moonrise Kingdom was one of the biggest pieces of dung I've ever seen. Not sure what to expect with The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Reaction Score
Bottle Rocket, Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums are some of my favorite movies. Life Aquatic and Darjeeling were definitely good but not great like those other three, Moonrise Kingdom was one of the biggest pieces of dung I've ever seen. Not sure what to expect with The Grand Budapest Hotel.

This one is much more like the first three you mentioned. I loved The life Aquatic though.

Reaction Score
Interesting, I agree that his cleverness is a little too contrived. I liked Bottle Rocket and thought Rushmore was good and not great. Royal Tennebaums I found too extreme, though occasionally funny. Life Aquatic I've tried to get into on cable a few times and just never been able to fully immerse even though I think Bill Murray is the funniest guy ever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom