The general uselessness of recruiting "reporters" | The Boneyard

The general uselessness of recruiting "reporters"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ray Kasongo has become a fascinating cautionary tale.

Here's a kid who committed to Oregon, uncommitted an hour later and has been sending "SOS" messages via Twitter ever since.

Tonight's installment was that 'everyone knows' what he'd do if it were up to him and regretting the circumstances that led him to wherever he is.

If he would have tweeted a list of schools he's considering, twenty 'reporters' would have either retweeted it or pretended they have a 'source' - Zagoria might have stretched it out into an article.

But this is fifty times more interesting and absolute no-brainer of a story for an actual reporter....guess they're few and far between, eh?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I expand the circle even further and suggest the general uselessness of most human beings. I find most, including myself, generally lacking any useful purpose

Reaction Score

Here's a kid who committed to Oregon, uncommitted an hour later and has been sending "SOS" messages via Twitter ever since.

Tonight's installment was that 'everyone knows' what he'd do if it were up to him and regretting the circumstances that led him to wherever he is.

If he would have tweeted a list of schools he's considering, twenty 'reporters' would have either retweeted it or pretended they have a 'source' - Zagoria might have stretched it out into an article.

But this is fifty times more interesting and absolute no-brainer of a story for an actual reporter....guess they're few and far between, eh?

Agreed 100 %. This kid is quite clearly in a position of indentured servitude. It's disgusting. The recruiting "reporters" are compromised, can't expect anything from then. But guys like Borges who have followed Kasongo on twitter have nothing to lose and ought to be following this up.

I mean, if you do 15 minutes of googling on Kasongo and Brandon Bender and Ro Russell it's clear as day what's going on and it's far worse than anything UConn's ever even been accused of.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I expand the circle even further and suggest the general uselessness of most human beings. I find most, including myself, generally lacking any useful purpose

I'm actually pretty sure I'm the only person with a clear idea of what needs to be done.

Most of you are just in my way, but those of you who grow food and make iPhones and Acuras and stuff are treasured assets.

Reaction Score

Yeah maybe Yahoo should jump on this one?

Reaction Score

Alcohol is your purpose CA, don't sell yourself short!!

Reaction Score

That Nocera guy from the NY Times should be all over this. Altman would cut strings with the kid out of embarrassment.

As for Kasongo, the kid is desperate to be tweeting such things. I imagine that even if he liked Oregon, he'd feel sheepish about going there after this. The well is poisoned. It is an SOS from him.

Then again, he has options. Write off the semester, start school elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's just my angst about the situation, but I've also found it hard to believe that we haven't seen a single quote anywhere from Daniel Hamilton himself since the shenanigans with his brother. Maybe his family is protecting themselves, since Hamilton coming to Connecticut completely contradicts the whole "grandma is sick and Isaac needs to be close to her" argument. But this is a case where I would expect the Uconn beat guys (and even the national recruiting guys) to be fighting over the chance to get a few quotes from the kid.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's just my angst about the situation, but I've also found it hard to believe that we haven't seen a single quote anywhere from Daniel Hamilton himself since the shenanigans with his brother. Maybe his family is protecting themselves, since Hamilton coming to Connecticut completely contradicts the whole "grandma is sick and Isaac needs to be close to her" argument. But this is a case where I would expect the Uconn beat guys to be fighting over the chance to get a few quotes from the kid.

There have been multiple quotes from Hamilton, from reiterating his UConn commitment directly to reporters, to statements about his excitement at UConn's 2013-2014 schedule, a poster he put up with him in a UConn uniform, to several exchanges with UConn players. That being said, we haven't heard anything from him since Blueitt decommitted.

Da, da, da dum!!!

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
There have been multiple quotes from Hamilton, from reiterating his UConn commitment directly to reporters, to statements about his excitement at UConn's 2013-2014 schedule, a poster he put up with him in a UConn uniform, to several exchanges with UConn players. That being said, we haven't heard anything from him since Blueitt decommitted.

Da, da, da dum!!!

The reiterations that I recall were from coaches (and his father the same day Isaac decommitted). I don't remember any quotes from the kid outside of the tweet that you mentioned.

I'm just saying that we're a month away from the early signing period. Given all the drama with his brother (along with a few national guys going so far as to predict that Daniel will go to UCLA), I would have expected somebody to ask him directly if he's going to be signing a Letter of Intent to Uconn in a few weeks.

Reaction Score
Saw those tweets this morning and thought the same thing. How is someone not looking into this? It's pretty clear some shadiness has been going on. RK must not be doing himself any favors with his handlers either with these tweets...almost like he is trying to call them out to open this whole thing up. Really sad situation - even with all this I would have loved to see him at UConn...seems to have a lot of potential on the bball court.

Reaction Score
the worst was Adam Finklestein of ESPN tweeting that Kasongo's situation highlights why recruits shouldn't set a date and deadline for their decision, as if that was the contributing factor for the perceived waffling. How is this your job and you're oblivious to the obvious elephant in the room?

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Recruiting reporters be damned! All reporters are useless. They don't report news anymore, they make it...or try to. I'm of the firm opinion that we should repeal freedom of the press...if the suckers can't do it right, they shouldn't be allowed to do it at all.

What this country needs is a benevolent dictatorship! I'll volunteer for the job.

Reaction Score
the worst was Adam Finklestein of ESPN tweeting that Kasongo's situation highlights why recruits shouldn't set a date and deadline for their decision, as if that was the contributing factor for the perceived waffling. How is this your job and you're oblivious to the obvious elephant in the room?
What were you expecting from a dude named Finklestein?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom