The Frustration of Being A Bosox Fan. Essay "The Boston Red Sox Brand - So Bad. So Bad. So Bad. | The Boneyard

The Frustration of Being A Bosox Fan. Essay "The Boston Red Sox Brand - So Bad. So Bad. So Bad.

Reaction Score
Being a fan of the Sox is so frustrating and depressing. The Fenway Sports Group is running the Bosox like a small market team. They're milking the brand and taking us for suckers. Being a branding/ad agency professional over 40 years, I penned an essay about how far the Red Sox brand has fallen. Would love to hear your thoughts as the Sox are so much a part of many here. The Boston Red Sox Brand − So Bad, So Bad, So Bad.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sox ownership is just trolling the fanbase now.

ADD: Breslow admits that the Sox will suck for years HERE.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It comes across as whiny. They spend way more than most teams, even now. Some of it wasn't spent wisely. I'm not a fan of these owners, but they brought a bunch of World Series teams, they fixed up Fenway significantly, they pushed for the city to block off Jersey Street on game days, and overall helped develop the Fenway area of the city. It's vastly better than it was, with live music, breweries, food etc.

So I'm not going to complain too much about a team still spending north of $200m on payroll. The plan when they hired Bloom was to be Tampa, but be able to spend when needed. It didn't work because they couldn't identify pitching. Breslow is here to identify pitching prospects. The Orioles were good, spent $75m. It's about being smart. The farm system is loaded. Let's see what happens.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The farm system is loaded.
That's hype. They don't have any pitching. They are not even trying. Chaim was so pathetic. The Yanks just cut Jeter Downs.

ADD: They just announced yesterday is that their plan is to "stay the course". They can do this because “We spend a lot of time talking about the experience at Fenway. We think our record is probably the most important thing but there are other things that make going to Fenway a special place.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is interesting to me because I am a Mets fan that grew up in a family of Sox fans. Every summer get together my whole life was my uncles and cousins whining about never winning a World Series. Then they won a bunch.

As a Mets fan? I’m perfectly happy that I saw them win once and another one would be nice but I don’t need to see it. It surprises me Sox fans are still whiny. With the Sox and Pats with the Celts and Bruins tossed in, I’m a Mets and Jets fan just shrugging at the overall reaction.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It surprises me Sox fans are still whiny. With the Sox and Pats with the Celts and Bruins tossed in, I’m a Mets and Jets fan just shrugging at the overall reaction.
Your team is trying to win, I'd be happy with that.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Your team is trying to win, I'd be happy with that.
$220m in payroll is still trying to win. I'm not happy with this offseason so far. But it isn't over yet. Montgomery is the guy they need and Boras is being his usual ridiculous self. So nobody has come close on Snell or Montgomery. If they do nothing else to add pitching, that's a failure.

I think Breslow will have a better eye for acquiring, signing and drafting pitching. Developing it too. Sox do a good job scouting and developing position players. They let Downs go for a reason.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
$220m in payroll is still trying to win. I'm not happy with this offseason so far. But it isn't over yet. Montgomery is the guy they need and Boras is being his usual ridiculous self.
They have the worst team in the division and they're cutting payroll. That's not trying to win. Dead money doesn't count as trying to win. Getting the best deal for your clients isn't being ridiculous.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
They have the worst team in the division and they're cutting payroll. That's not trying to win. Dead money doesn't count as trying to win. Getting the best deal for your clients isn't being ridiculous.
They may not be the worst team. Trying to win, like the World Series? This roster isn’t ready for that. 2025-26 is when they’ll try to do that. Baltimore spent $80m last year and were a winning team. This team should be over .500. Aside from starting pitching it’s a Good team.

Sooner or later people are going to realize that stupid spending, like the Mets, Yankees and recently Padres, isn’t a ticket to winning. Yes these owners piss me off, but Boras is not reasonable, which is why none of his prized guys has signed. Bogaerts has one of the worst contracts in baseball. They should have just traded him, but paying him would be stupid. Yet fans complain.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They may not be the worst team. Trying to win, like the World Series? This roster isn’t ready for that. 2025-26 is when they’ll try to do that. Baltimore spent $80m last year and were a winning team. This team should be over .500. Aside from starting pitching it’s a Good team.
The Sox just let their best hitter go for nothing. They suck. Their business model now is selling the "iconic" Fenway Park experience to visitors. FSG out!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The Sox just let their best hitter go for nothing. They suck. Their business model now is selling the "iconic" Fenway Park experience to visitors. FSG out!
What are you talking about? Turner had a player option and opted out. Sox had nothing to do with it. He then signed for less than his player option was.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What are you talking about? Turner had a player option and opted out. Sox had nothing to do with it. He then signed for less than his player option was.
"According to hardball guru Peter Gammons, Turner’s representatives reached out to the Sox about returning, but Boston’s brass was not interested." You or Peter Gammons?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
"According to hardball guru Peter Gammons, Turner’s representatives reached out to the Sox about returning, but Boston’s brass was not interested." You or Peter Gammons?
Well yes, that's true. But he chose to refuse the option. They didn't "let him go for nothing". He opted out. Why didn't they sign him? Because he wouldn't have any regular place to play. The defense was the biggest problem the team had, so Yoshida is moving to DH. O'Neil is a + defender now in LF, Abreu is solid in RF with a great arm. Since Casas needs 400 at bats at 1B and Devers isn't going to sit much at 3B, where is Turner supposed to play?

Reaction Score
It will probably be even tougher in he AL East with new ownership for Baltimore. They already had young talent and now they can spend a little.

I’m frustrated but will still take in some games in spring training. Hopefully Theo can help.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well yes, that's true. But he chose to refuse the option. They didn't "let him go for nothing". He opted out. Why didn't they sign him? Because he wouldn't have any regular place to play. The defense was the biggest problem the team had, so Yoshida is moving to DH. O'Neil is a + defender now in LF, Abreu is solid in RF with a great arm. Since Casas needs 400 at bats at 1B and Devers isn't going to sit much at 3B, where is Turner supposed to play?
You went from denying the Sox didn't want him to justifying their ditching him in about 3 seconds flat. He was one of their best players and they let him go when they could have kept him. Ever since they fired Dombrowski, the Sox let superior ballplayers leave and replace them with inferior ballpayers. And guys like you are good with it. I don't get it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You went from denying the Sox didn't want him to justifying their ditching him in about 3 seconds flat. He was one of their best players and they let him go when they could have kept him. Ever since they fired Dombrowski, the Sox let superior ballplayers leave and replace them with inferior ballpayers. And guys like you are good with it. I don't get it.
I merely denied your statement that they "let him go for nothing". Read what I said. Had he opted in, he'd be on the team. He opted out. It was his choice. Not sure what he was expecting or why he opted out. He was a "nice to have" player who wasn't going to be in the lineup very often even if he stayed.

Casas is a "superior ballplayer" to Turner. So is Devers. They signed JT because we didn't have a proven 1B except Casas as a rookie. Also needed a DH so it was a good fit. Now Casas emerged as an every day player and Yoshida is moving to DH because his defense stinks. The traded for O'Neil to replace Yoshida and bring some RH power they lost with JT.

I'm fine with the position players and the Pen. My only concern is the starters. It makes no sense at all that they wouldn't be in on Jordan Montgomery. They need a LH starter and he's in Boston with his wife. He'd love to play here. I get the risk of a 30 year old pitcher, but he's built like a tank and has been a durable innings eater and winner. Maybe Boras is asking too much, I am sure he in, so go in with an offer well below. Try.

Reaction Score

Sooner or later people are going to realize that stupid spending, like the Mets, Yankees and recently Padres, isn’t a ticket to winning. Yes these owners piss me off, but Boras is not reasonable, which is why none of his prized guys has signed. Bogaerts has one of the worst contracts in baseball. They should have just traded him, but paying him would be stupid. Yet fans complain.

You have to admit spending is important because you guys wouldn’t have any titles without throwing cash out. The Yanks have been between 200-300M for seemingly 20 years they’ve spent less honestly because there hasn’t been a huge increase over their years of overspending. But you guys made that jump in order to win (and it worked) to be thought of in the Yanks, Dodgers spend. But now they’re tightening up again. The Yanks are too and have been they’re just so far ahead with some stupid contracts it’s ridiculous.

Reaction Score
If the money was spent elsewhere, I get letting Turner walk. The guy is 39 years old, and the bloom will be coming off the rose soon.
However, they are below the luxury tax threshold and if you are going to just sit on the money when there is a guy out there who was popular in Boston is available, then you sign him. If he does have another good year left in him, then he is going to have value at the trade deadline.
Fans aren't going to be thrilled if they bring back bullpen games every 5th outing knowing that a Montgomery or Snell could have been had. If both end up somewhere else, especially with the Burnes trade, if the Sox don't get out to a hot start it's going to get ugly in Beantown real fast. And Cora will be the scapegoat and they will struggle to bring in a manager who is good or a younger guy with potential.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You have to admit spending is important because you guys wouldn’t have any titles without throwing cash out. The Yanks have been between 200-300M for seemingly 20 years they’ve spent less honestly because there hasn’t been a huge increase over their years of overspending. But you guys made that jump in order to win (and it worked) to be thought of in the Yanks, Dodgers spend. But now they’re tightening up again. The Yanks are too and have been they’re just so far ahead with some stupid contracts it’s ridiculous.
Spending yes. Spending big in free agency? Not really. The signed Manny. They signed JD. Martinez. Beckett was a trade. Pedro was a trade. Schilling was a trade. Ortiz was a cast off from the Twins. Lowell, Mueller, Millar, all those guys were cheap signings. The core was always home grown. Varitek, Nomar, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Greenwell, Nixon, Papelbon etc. The teams that won a World Series had maybe one star position player and one star pitcher. They had a lot of what I’d call mid-priced guys. Above average across the board with a couple stars.

I haven’t gone back and checked, but I think the same may be true of the Yankees.

Reaction Score
Spending yes. Spending big in free agency? Not really. The signed Manny. They signed JD. Martinez. Beckett was a trade. Pedro was a trade. Schilling was a trade. Ortiz was a cast off from the Twins. Lowell, Mueller, Millar, all those guys were cheap signings. The core was always home grown. Varitek, Nomar, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Greenwell, Nixon, Papelbon etc. The teams that won a World Series had maybe one star position player and one star pitcher. They had a lot of what I’d call mid-priced guys. Above average across the board with a couple stars.

I haven’t gone back and checked, but I think the same may be true of the Yankees.

Yeah Yanks had to pay to keep their own guys as well in the likes of Jeter, Bernie, Posada, Mo, Pettite and sign Tino trade for ONeill and other pieces.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yeah Yanks had to pay to keep their own guys as well in the likes of Jeter, Bernie, Posada, Mo, Pettite and sign Tino trade for ONeill and other pieces.
Tino was a trade. Over the stretch where the Yanks won four titles in five years, the "big ticket" free agent on that roster was David Wells (bottom end of then big ticket free agents) and a middle level signing was Mike Stanton (not the one who changed his name to Giancarlo).
Once they started signing free agents again, things started going downhill.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Tino was a trade. Over the stretch where the Yanks won four titles in five years, the "big ticket" free agent on that roster was David Wells (bottom end of then big ticket free agents) and a middle level signing was Mike Stanton (not the one who changed his name to Giancarlo).
Once they started signing free agents again, things started going downhill.
That’s my point. You need some free agents or trades to fill the gaps in what comes up in the system. But throwing money at big names on a regular basis doesn‘t seem to work. Trades like Boston made for Grissom seem to pay off more regularly.

The current Dodgers may be the closest thing to a super team ever assembled. So maybe that works for one year. It sure didn’t work for the Padres last year. I stand by my general view that baseball isn’t like the NBA. It’s a 162 game slog. Depth across the board matters more than brilliance here or there. That said, you need 2-3 really good pitchers in the playoffs. Sox don’t seem to have that.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Exactly Hawk.

The foundation needs to be built internally (which can include trading some of the players you develop, if you need to improve balance across your roster). Building primarily through free agency is not sustainable.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Sox have been touting the rebuild of their farm system. They are still 4th out of 5. They are going nowhere by choice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom