The first college FB magazines? | The Boneyard

The first college FB magazines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Does anyone know when the early ones come out. I thought Sporting News, Athlon, and Lindy's were out about May 20. A friend tells me it's mid-June.

I know they're all superficial and usually wrong, but I can't resist buying them.

Reaction Score
They usually show up on the newsstands beginning the last week of May. Phil Steele's is later, around mid-June. As much as Steele drives me crazy with his analysis of teams, seemingly based on recruiting over the 10 years previous, he has been spot on with his UConn prognostications. In his world, UConn only moves up in the standings if the coaching staff lands a bunch of Johnny 5-Stars & supports them with 4-star backups. Even then, UConn will still be lowly ranked because of their short history as an FBS player & lack of tradition. Meanwhile, teams like Texas get a pass in lean years because of their past history. AND, he's always infatuated with the Leprechauns.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
They usually show up on the newsstands beginning the last week of May. Phil Steele's is later, around mid-June. As much as Steele drives me crazy with his analysis of teams, seemingly based on recruiting over the 10 years previous, he has been spot on with his UConn prognostications. In his world, UConn only moves up in the standings if the coaching staff lands a bunch of Johnny 5-Stars & supports them with 4-star backups. Even then, UConn will still be lowly ranked because of their short history as an FBS player & lack of tradition. Meanwhile, teams like Texas get a pass in lean years because of their past history. AND, he's always infatuated with the Leprechauns.

Steele is the best.

I expect to get trashed this year by all of them. We were disrespected when we were good; it's going to be really bad now that we suck. They'll just say we'll be lucky to double last years win total.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Steele is the best.

I expect to get trashed this year by all of them. We were disrespected when we were good; it's going to be really bad now that we suck. They'll just say we'll be lucky to double last years win total.
And they won't be wrong.

I am glad we are building back a good culture. Kids are growing.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
And they won't be wrong.

I am glad we are building back a good culture. Kids are growing.

Our trend is up, but it will take some time for the results to show up. Then it will take some time for the media to catch on.

Respect is going to take a while.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I bought Athlon's today. They say we're the worst team in the AAC and we finish 3-9 (1-7).

Cincinnati and Houston in the championship game.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I'm as digital as the next guy, but nothing beats flipping paper pages while dropping the deuce.

Haha! Spot on.

I was actually joking. I love my technology but I'm still old school when it comes to reading. I have no interest in a Kindle and don't ever see myself reading a magazine online.

Also, it's way too difficult to sit on the john and try to balance a laptop while holding lotion, tissues, a beer and your phone.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Also, it's way too difficult to sit on the john and try to balance a laptop while holding lotion, tissues, a beer and your phone.
image.jpg

Reaction Score
In answer to the original question, Athlon & Sporting News have hit the stands. My business received its allotment in this week's order.

Reaction Score
I guess I'm from the 20th century .... and showing my age.
I remember JFK saying that the torch being passed on to those "born in the twentieth century" and thinking my grandpa was ancient and i was feeling so important!! Now I just feel old lol. I miss the old Sunday sports page in the local newspaper.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Athlon has us ranked with the 3rd or 4th best defense in the AAC. And they say we have the 12th best offense. Somehow that translates to being the worst team in the conference (?).

They must really disrespect our coaching and offense.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I just got The Sporting News. They have us #5 in the east, ahead of South Florida. Breaking news: our offense may struggle.

They have Cincinnati & Memphis in the championship game.

Reaction Score
We ain't getting high rankings because of last year's on field performance. That won't change and our projected win count will be low when the season starts. However, I am an unapologetic optimist. I think because many starters are returning and will be a year older (with everything that brings), I plan to take the over when our projected win count comes out.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
It's hard finding lots of wins. Villanova, Army, Tulane, South Florida are possible. If we take three of four (no guarantee there), that leaves us at 3-9.

But the record is irrelevant this year. I just want to see closer scores. We're not above moral victories. Losing to Cincinnati by 7 or to Missouri by 10 would be great successes. If we see 49-7 scores all year, the Huskies and Diaco are in deep doo-doo.

Reaction Score
Good points, Redding. Me and my glass half full outlook see 6-6:

09/03/15 vs. Villanova Rentschler Field, East Hartford, Conn
  • WIN, pulling away from a very good Wildcat team in the 4th quarter
09/12/15 vs. Army Rentschler Field, East Hartford, Conn.
  • WIN, figured out how to slow down offense and improve time of possession
09/19/15 at Missouri Faurot Field, Columbia, Mo.
  • LOSS, probably by a lot
09/26/15 vs. Navy * Rentschler Field, East Hartford, Conn.
  • LOSS, but close
10/02/15 at BYU
media-icon-tv.gif
Lavell Edwards Stadium, Provo, Utah
  • LOSS, but closer than last year
10/10/15 at UCF * Bright House Networks Stadium, Orlando, Fla.
  • LOSS, relatively close until 2nd half
10/17/15 vs. USF - Homecoming * Rentschler Field, East Hartford, Conn.
  • WIN, will actually include running and passing in game plan
10/24/15 at Cincinnati * Nippert Stadium, Cincinnati, Ohio
  • LOSS, could be big
10/30/15 vs. East Carolina *
media-icon-tv.gif
Rentschler Field, East Hartford, Conn.
  • WIN, they lost a lot of people and its at home
11/07/15 at Tulane * Yulman Stadium, New Orleans, La.
  • WIN, picking up momentum
11/21/15 vs. Houston Rentschler Field, East Hartford, Conn.
  • LOSS, but hard-fought and close
11/28/15 at Temple * Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia, Pa.
  • WIN to become bowl-eligible and first non-losing season since the Fiesta Bowl year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom