The Cartel Meets on the 17th | The Boneyard

The Cartel Meets on the 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
WASHINGTON, DC – A group of 80 voting members from the ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC will meet formally in two meetings on Saturday, Jan. 17 at the NCAA Convention to begin a new era of autonomy aimed at protecting and improving the college experience for student-athletes.

This is the first autonomy meeting and it follows a decision by the NCAA Division I Board of Directors to grant self-governing prerogatives to the member institutions of these five conferences.

The sessions include representatives from each of the 65 member institutions of the ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC conferences and 15 student-athlete representatives discussing and voting on a series of proposals designed to improve the student-athlete experience on campus.

The autonomy session agenda features eight proposals and one resolution aimed at creating the optimal student-athlete experience in a fully integrated collegiate model in which athletics and academics are appropriately balanced. The proposals focus on the issues of cost of attendance, loss-of-value insurance, scholarship renewal, and concussion safety.

Reaction Score
Proposals can be approved by one of the following methods:
  • 60 percent of all votes (48 votes) and a simple majority support from schools in three of the five conferences, or;
  • A majority of all votes (at least 41) and simple majority support from the schools in four of the five conferences

Reaction Score
I think that teams not in the P5 will piggyback onto some of these issues if approved by P5

..concussion safety....why not?

....scholarship renewal (I think there will be a move towards a guaranteed 4 years)..

....loss of value insurance...costly but maybe necessary to compete in recruiting for the biggest names...

....cost of attendance....let's see where this goes.

Programs aspiring to play in the P5 may well work towards mirroring the policies adopted.

Reaction Score
The first rule of anything conference realignment related....it is always bad for UConn...so it will end up hurting us.
Second rule of anything conference realignment related....refer to Rule #1.

Reaction Score
are the 15 student-athletes from Kentucky? Gotta make sure those luxury vacations in the Bahamas become a permanent piece of the student-athlete experience.

Reaction Score
I think that teams not in the P5 will piggyback onto some of these issues if approved by P5

..concussion safety....why not?

....scholarship renewal (I think there will be a move towards a guaranteed 4 years)..

....loss of value insurance...costly but maybe necessary to compete in recruiting for the biggest names...

....cost of attendance....let's see where this goes.

Programs aspiring to play in the P5 may well work towards mirroring the policies adopted.
Screw FSU

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So what are the other schools going to do? Just roll over? After reading about these resolutions, there appears to be no reason for a G5 school to keep playing football, yet they are. What is the plan?

Reaction Score
The rub will come when UConn or USF or someone says that they plan to implement the same policies as the P5.

That puts the ball square in the G5 conference's court.

"Under this proposed governance model, permissive legislation that is developed and adopted among these institutions and conferences may also be adopted by the rest of Division I at each institution's respective discretion, or as determined by its conference."

If UConn wishes to implement and be playing with the same rules as P5, and the AAC, as a conference, does not allow that because of the votes of members, it could be ugly.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
UCONN likely will adopt some of the rules for a little while during their P5 conference search in the next decade. But yeah, at some point the money will run dry and they'll have to make some difficult choices.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
And as for whether or not other AAC schools can't adopt these rules, 'em. UCONN will be thrust into the role of a Texas/Notre Dame on the G5 level.

Reaction Score
About five of the G5 conferences have said that they will mirror P5 on Full cost of Attendance...AAC was one...

But...when costs go up and athletic departments, that are already bleeding money, go into the "Maryland mode"...what happens?

Maryland was underwater, cutting programs and looking for a life ring (tossed by the B1G).

Reaction Score
The rub will come when UConn or USF or someone says that they plan to implement the same policies as the P5.

"Under this proposed governance model, permissive legislation that is developed and adopted among these institutions and conferences may also be adopted by the rest of Division I at each institution's respective discretion, or as determined by its conference."

If UConn wishes to implement and be playing with the same rules as P5, and the AAC, as a conference, does not allow that because of the votes of members, it could be ugly.
I think this is where enough of the G5 members that want to be in may form their own conference. There are enough of them out there to form an 8-12 team conference. I hope.

pj

Reaction Score

I doubt the conflict will be with the AAC. The NCAA is still the regulatory body over the G5 and they have the concept of "impermissible benefits" which encompasses giving athletes more money, or water (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9325352/ncaa-penalizes-golfer-washing-car), or anything. The rationale was preventing schools from gaining recruiting advantages, i.e. buying recruits by offering them more money, and preserving amateurism. Well, the whole point of the P5 changes are buying recruits away from G5 schools and moving toward professionalism. So any G5 school that copies the P5 is immediately afoul of NCAA regulations.

This was my whole objection to P5 autonomy, if G5 schools weren't given the same opportunity for autonomy. Now P5 schools have voting input on regulation of the G5 but G5 schools have no voting power on regulation of the P5. This one-sided power split is going to drive college athletics toward an antitrust lawsuit; or the NCAA will deregulate and we'll have the wild west.

Reaction Score
So what are the other schools going to do? Just roll over? After reading about these resolutions, there appears to be no reason for a G5 school to keep playing football, yet they are. What is the plan?

To ignore your constant harping about football.

Reaction Score
What Aresco was thinking....

"Much of the discussion centers around the ability of the Power 5 to provide benefits to their student-athletes beyond the cost-of-attendance scholarship, such as postseason transportation for families, continuing education after an athlete’s eligibility has expired, and health insurance that extend beyond the college years. Those kinds of perks might induce recruits to choose one school over another, and that further shifts the balance of power. But Aresco said The American won’t mandate them for league members.

“We’re probably leaning toward letting individual schools make decisions on those other things,” Aresco said. “Because schools have different resources, but they may also have different views on what they want to do relative to parental visits, relative to hiring staff, and it may be better to let them decide individually what they want to do.”

In turn, that could create an inequity within the AAC itself. Connecticut reported revenue of $63.8 million in 2012, while Memphis, South Florida and SMU ranged from $42.6 million to $46.7 million. Tulsa’s reported revenue of $31.1 million would rank next-to-last in the AAC, ahead of Tulane’s $27.9 million.

A school with more money can afford to provide its student-athletes more benefits. Allowing schools to operate by their own rules in such an arena could create a competitive imbalance."

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
The P-5 is concerned about the students athletes.... You can keep your health insurance.... The smoking gun could be a mushroom cloud....
I have not had sexual relations with that women.... Heard'em all.

Reaction Score
There will be an imbalance in any conference, including the P5. Tulane may have had half the revenue of UCONN but it has over $1 billion in endowment.
Keep up with the Joneses as long as possible...

Reaction Score
About endowments....

If Tulane is like some schools (FSU and others), almost all of the endowments are academic related rather than athletic.

Texas, even with all of their riches, is one of the relatively few with some endowed athletic scholarships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom