The Bria Hartley "moment" | The Boneyard

The Bria Hartley "moment"

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I just want to relive this with all of you in honor of Senior Day tomorrow.

Tuesday, November 16 2010 is a big day for UConn basketball. It's the program's national debut, this season against Baylor. There's no Tina Charles around to school Brittney Griner anymore. Nope, it's a night to expose how green Stef Dolson is and to see if anyone other than Maya Moore (brilliant as always tonight) can make a play when needed.

Bria Hartley has played like a freshman on this night, but also like a young player with promise- if anything, every bit like the New York-area kid she is. However, as nice to see as that is, UConn has a game to win and a 79-game streak on the line in Hartford.

After UConn went on a run to go up 15 points, Baylor mounted a furious comeback and even took the lead. That's when something magical happens.

With 3:56 remaining, Bria nails a three-pointer to tie the game at 58. Griner scores two more, and then Bria gets a layup with 2:46 left. Now it's 60-60. And then, with 2:09 left, Bria launches- and nails- one more three-pointer to go up 63-60. Uconn would eventually win 65-64.

I remember Bria hitting that last three-pointer. It was a moment, a point in time when a freshman with the potential freshmen are supposed to have at UConn blossom and take a step forward. Sometimes, it's magic, like when Kaleena opened up against Stanford a year later. This Bria moment was magic, too. Sue Bird, who's in the stands, emphatically points out to Swin Cash (also in the stands, seated next to Sue) how crystal clear a moment this is for Bria.

This was about Bria becoming Bria, becoming a UConn girl, extending that winning streak, and so clearly actualizing that even Sue Bird could recognize what this meant in the continuum of UConn.

This was Bria Hartley. This was UConn basketball.

Last edited:

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I remember that sequence (well, it was a bit fuzzy)

Reaction Score
That was a magical game and a fantastic starting point for Bria's career. What I remember most was Heather Buck playing some tough D against Griner at the end of the game.

Reaction Score
Thanks for reminding us all of this!! Bria is the best and I hope she carries us home to the NCAA championship in April.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
With 3:56 remaining, Bria nails a three-pointer to tie the game at 58. Griner scores two more, and then Bria gets a layup with 2:46 left. Now it's 60-60. And then, with 2:09 left, Bria launches- and nails- one more three-pointer to go up 63-60. Uconn would eventually win 65-64.

I remember Bria hitting that last three-pointer. It was a moment, a point in time when a freshman with the potential freshmen are supposed to have at UConn blossom and take a step forward.

I remember that last three very well also. I remeber two immediate impressions: 1)That kid is cool under pressure. 2) That shot is too flat! ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
At the very beginning of her career, we see that she really is Big Game Bria!

Reaction Score
The most exciting UConn game I ever had the chance to attend. The two heroes honored in this thread, Bria and Heather, rose up huge when the game was on the line.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The most exciting UConn game I ever had the chance to attend. The two heroes honored in this thread, Bria and Heather, rose up huge when the game was on the line.

One small footnote to this post is that Samarie Walker also acquitted herself quite well for a spell against Griner. It was too bad how things played out for her ultimately, but you can't take that footnote away from her in a one-point game, #79 of 90.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom