The Blacklist | The Boneyard

The Blacklist

Reaction Score
I watched it too, but pretty much everyone on that show, not named James Spader, are bad actors. The female lead is particularly atrocious. It's a tribute to Spader that the show is watchable. This is coming off harsher than I intended as I enjoy the show, but the acting...ugh.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I watched it too, but pretty much everyone on that show, not named James Spader, are bad actors. The female lead is particularly atrocious. It's a tribute to Spader that the show is watchable. This is coming off harsher than I intended as I enjoy the show, but the acting...ugh.

You are dead on, billy. The show is all Spader. "Particularly atrocious" is a perfect description. I fast forwarded all the parts with just her and hubby. Hopefully, they will explain the "mystery" between her and Redd early on this season, she gets killed saving him and then we can go from there.

Reaction Score
Having a show be all Spader is not a bad thing. I will watch any show that has Spader doing his Spader thing, it is fantastic. But yeah, the show is a whole lotta blah between the Spader, but then Red brings it home!

Reaction Score
Hopefully, they will explain the "mystery" between her and Redd early on this season, she gets killed saving him and then we can go from there.

Right. They're going to drag out their "real" connection as long as they can.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I haven't seen a whole episode but when I see some parts Spader has the same I-Ain't-Scared-Of- act. Like when he is in Africa with the 3 million dollars and Patriot missilles raining down. Is he like that in every scene?

Reaction Score
I haven't seen a whole episode but when I see some parts Spader has the same I-Ain't-Scared-Of- act. Like when he is in Africa with the 3 million dollars and Patriot missilles raining down. Is he like that in every scene?

Basically, you nailed it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's my current binge-watching favorite.

Spader is terrific. I don't think the rest of the cast is awful, but they're clearly just there to outsmarted by Spader's character.

The female lead's go-to move is a weird damp-eyed, gape-mouthed stare into space.

It's a fun show.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Spader is the show. I've watched from the beginning and often wonder why. The lead actress isn't credible as an FBI anything. Bumbling FBI characterizations are more credible. But it's sort of Batman plays the FBI for all it's worth, with his cartoony villain pals.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I like how they include the obligatory FBI agent who doubts the new young agent's abilities.

Every show, he tells her she's not qualified. And then, at the end of the show, he begrudgingly acknowledges that she's done well to help capture the previously-unknown mega-villain. And then he is back to doubting her in time for the next show. Basically, he is bad for morale.

Two holes in things...there are no spoilers here.

At one point, Red makes a speech saying that he has no email address, no phone and no home. And then he spends the next half-dozen episodes making phone calls from his plane and arranging meetings on a moment's notice. If you have a private jet, a sat phone and everyone seems able to reach you for lunch any time, you are not exactly unmoored.

Given that he seems really willing to kill almost anyone, why doesn't he just kill her husband?

Lastly, she has a huge head. It's a moon orbiting her shoulders. At some point, there should be a chase scene where Red chases a bad guy from one side of her forehead to the other.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I like how they include the obligatory FBI agent who doubts the new young agent's abilities.

Every show, he tells her she's not qualified. And then, at the end of the show, he begrudgingly acknowledges that she's done well to help capture the previously-unknown mega-villain. And then he is back to doubting her in time for the next show. Basically, he is bad for morale.

Two holes in things...there are no spoilers here.

At one point, Red makes a speech saying that he has no email address, no phone and no home. And then he spends the next half-dozen episodes making phone calls from his plane and arranging meetings on a moment's notice. If you have a private jet, a sat phone and everyone seems able to reach you for lunch any time, you are not exactly unmoored.

Given that he seems really willing to kill almost anyone, why doesn't he just kill her husband?

Lastly, she has a huge head. It's a moon orbiting her shoulders. At some point, there should be a chase scene where Red chases a bad guy from one side of her forehead to the other.

Giving her parents and /or her plastic surgeon their due, she is pretty, wide face or not. As for Redd claiming he's unreachable, his agent gives out his contact info after sizing up a money making or revenge opportunity. See episode 59, Lizzie goes to acting school.

Reaction Score
Mary Louis Parkre as Redd's ex-wife looks promising. I like the former megastars who get guest appearances on the program: Alan Alda, Diane West, etc.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I must say I enjoyed the last couple of episodes before the break.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
just binged the first season off of netlfix. addicting.

Reaction Score
Are the show's producers trying to figure out whether or not to have 2 female supporting actresses? First the Indian lady gets blown away, now the ex-Mossad agent has nine lives. By the way, that actress has a mysterious air about her. Just sayin'.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Are the show's producers trying to figure out whether or not to have 2 female supporting actresses? First the Indian lady gets blown away, now the ex-Mossad agent has nine lives. By the way, that actress has a mysterious air about her. Just sayin'.

thanks for posting spoiler alert.

Reaction Score
Sorry if I spoiled your catching up. It's a flaw of many shows. Get rid of one actor, add an interchangeable part to replace.

Reaction Score
Spader is the show. I've watched from the beginning and often wonder why. The lead actress isn't credible as an FBI anything. Bumbling FBI characterizations are more credible. But it's sort of Batman plays the FBI for all it's worth, with his cartoony villain pals.
Eh, it is a network show. You honestly can't expect THAT much from a network show. These are average hollywood writers we're talking about here.

Anyone reading this ever watch Chicago Fire ? We watch it occasionally for fun, but it is absolutely the worst in terms of cliched, idiotic hollywood writing.

When you realize THAT is the normal quality of network TV writing, that the Blacklist is even watchable is a minor miracle.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Eh, it is a network show. You honestly can't expect THAT much from a network show. These are average hollywood writers we're talking about here.

Anyone reading this ever watch Chicago Fire ? We watch it occasionally for fun, but it is absolutely the worst in terms of cliched, idiotic hollywood writing.

When you realize THAT is the normal quality of network TV writing, that the Blacklist is even watchable is a minor miracle.

One of my sons owns a TV production company in LA and he has stuff on many networks at any given time. He's won 2 Emmys. Except his shows are on the boutique cable networks like H, Hi, NGO, TWC and now what used to be called the Military Channel but is now the American Heroes Channel. He's only done one true "reality" show. His shows are usually regular history, military history or science. But even then, the networks want stuff dumbed down. I can almost always tell when he has lost a battle with a network from the script, meaning, he would not write crap or allow his writers to write crap or else he would edit it out. The thing is, really intelligent network TV shows like Parenthood, a show and a cast that remarkably never won an Emmy, or a show that's won many Emmy's like the Goodwife, or Breaking Bad, are too few. although I think there are a lot of shows these days that are pretty good because there are so many networks competing these days. I know there are some I've never seen that are supposed to be very interesting, including on some of the mainstream networks. I've never seen Chicago Fire and don't plan to.

Reaction Score
One of my sons owns a TV production company in LA and he has stuff on many networks at any given time. He's won 2 Emmys. Except his shows are on the boutique cable networks like H, Hi, NGO, TWC and now what used to be called the Military Channel but is now the American Heroes Channel. He's only done one true "reality" show. His shows are usually regular history, military history or science. But even then, the networks want stuff dumbed down. I can almost always tell when he has lost a battle with a network from the script, meaning, he would not write crap or allow his writers to write crap or else he would edit it out. The thing is, really intelligent network TV shows like Parenthood, a show and a cast that remarkably never won an Emmy, or a show that's won many Emmy's like the Goodwife, or Breaking Bad, are too few. although I think there are a lot of shows these days that are pretty good because there are so many networks competing these days. I know there are some I've never seen that are supposed to be very interesting, including on some of the mainstream networks. I've never seen Chicago Fire and don't plan to.
Only 2 reasons to view Chicago Fire:
1. To see if Lady Ga Ga's fiancé can truly act & not just be eye candy for the ladies-jury's out
2. Sophia Bush-how tight can her skinny jeans get
Show has predictable plotlines

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom