The Big12 has reached a new 6 year media rights agreement with ESPN and Fox worth a total of $2.28B, an average of $380M per year | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Big12 has reached a new 6 year media rights agreement with ESPN and Fox worth a total of $2.28B, an average of $380M per year

Reaction Score
Big 12 fans should be happy. Unfortunately, a reasonable sense of happiness too often leads to made up narratives from that crowd. To be clear, the new Big 12's new media contract does not set up the conference to earn more per school than the ACC.

The AVERAGE media payout from the Big 12 will be about $31.7 million per school per year. The ACTUAL payout will be lower than $31.7 million (probably upper 20s) in fiscal year 2024-25 and escalate gradually each year. That is how all these media contracts work.

The ACC already earned about $27 million from media deals in fiscal year 2020-21. That was before Comcast added the ACCN. And the league's payouts from its non ACCN media deal with ESPN will have four years of gradually escalating payouts between now and FY 2024-25.

The ACC is quite obviously going to be making more than the Big 12 when this deal goes into effect.

I know this is old and I'm sorry but I'm new and I'm reading some old threads. The Big 12 will make more than the ACC overall and the media payout will start at just over 31 million and gradually like up it 27 million. The ACC makes more than the Big 12 in total revenue (the Big 12 gets 380 million and the ACC gets around 390 million) and ESPN did that on purpose to shut down ACC renegotiation complaints. But the Big 12's 380 million is split between 12 teams while the ACC's is split between 14 schools and partially Notre Dame. The ACC is banking on the ACCN making up the 4 to 5 million dollar gap between themselves and the Big 12.

Reaction Score
I know this is old and I'm sorry but I'm new and I'm reading some old threads. The Big 12 will make more than the ACC overall and the media payout will start at just over 31 million and gradually like up it 27 million. The ACC makes more than the Big 12 in total revenue (the Big 12 gets 380 million and the ACC gets around 390 million) and ESPN did that on purpose to shut down ACC renegotiation complaints. But the Big 12's 380 million is split between 12 teams while the ACC's is split between 14 schools and partially Notre Dame. The ACC is banking on the ACCN making up the 4 to 5 million dollar gap between themselves and the Big 12.
I already ran through the media numbers...

The average media only payout to the Big 12 from ESPN and Fox will be about $380 million per year when the new contract begins in fiscal year 2025-2026.

$380 million divided by 12 members equals an average of about $31.7 million. (The average each school will receive from media is actually less than that but let's not complicate matters.)

The payments from media contracts start below the average payout and escalate a bit each year. Big 12 will members will accordingly receive less than the $31.7 million average (probably upper $20s) from the media deal in FY 2025-2026. And they will receive more than the average (probably mid $30s) by the end of the contract six years later.

Reaction Score
I already ran through the media numbers...

The average media only payout to the Big 12 from ESPN and Fox will be about $380 million per year when the new contract begins in fiscal year 2025-2026.

$380 million divided by 12 members equals an average of about $31.7 million. (The average each school will receive from media is actually less than that but let's not complicate matters.)

The payments from media contracts start below the average payout and escalate a bit each year. Big 12 will members will accordingly receive less than the $31.7 million average (probably upper $20s) from the media deal in FY 2025-2026. And they will receive more than the average (probably mid $30s) by the end of the contract six years later.

Ah OK my mistake on the media payouts, nice catch. The overall payout for the Big 12 will be higher than the ACC's though unless the ACCN starts paying out which you would expect ESPN to help push more in order to avoid renegotiating the ACC's TV deal. Still even on the current deal the Big 12's pays out higher so when the new deal kicks in it should remain higher than the ACC's.

Reaction Score
Ah OK my mistake on the media payouts, nice catch. The overall payout for the Big 12 will be higher than the ACC's though unless the ACCN starts paying out which you would expect ESPN to help push more in order to avoid renegotiating the ACC's TV deal. Still even on the current deal the Big 12's pays out higher so when the new deal kicks in it should remain higher than the ACC's.
I am in the process of cutting the cord. So I won’t have any of the cartel’s networks as part of my package

Reaction Score
I want in on the B12 with Gonzaga.
I could see wanting in on The Big 12 from a financial standpoint, but why would Gonzaga move the needle for anybody? They are Villanova minus the proximity to basketball talent that Philly provides. Villanova has struggled without Jay Wright, how would Gonzaga fare post Few? At best they are a Big East Program, but realistically due to their location they are exactly where they should be.

Reaction Score
I want in on the B12 with Gonzaga.
1674654439927.png
x II

Or, The Alliance. Big 12 & Big East after adding Gonzaga. That's 24 for hoops and stellar. 13 for football. Sure, it didn't work out for the Big East but times they are a changin'.

I really think UCF is going to struggle being so far away from its conference mates.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom