The Big Xll open to expanding (ESPN) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Big Xll open to expanding (ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Another interesting fact to note (not that it would matter, but) none of the Big XII schools have a D1 Ice Hockey program... Clearly we would stay in Hockey East, but if you looked at a UConn move to the B1G, would the conference force them to also join the new B1G Hockey conference too? Probably so...

Reaction Score
Another interesting fact to note (not that it would matter, but) none of the Big XII schools have a D1 Ice Hockey program... Clearly we would stay in Hockey East, but if you looked at a UConn move to the B1G, would the conference force them to also join the new B1G Hockey conference too? Probably so...

No problem. Plenty of room to continue playing Northeast teams OOC.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but Cincy has poor facilities, and not a great Football market for the college game because of pro competition and OSU dominating the market there.

No... The only antiquated facility at UC today, is 5/3rd arena and the university already agreed to renovate that.
You've got the recently opened Linder Center http://www.gobearcats.com/strength/cinn-strength.html
The Sheakley Athletics Center built in 2012 http://www.gobearcats.com/facilities/sheakley.html
and a renovated Nippert Stadium. I'm sorry but the idea, that we still have old facilities is non-sense.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Jim Delany is the only guy that really can make UCONN work, the way it can and should, to help a high level money making athletic conference. UCONN men's basketball, would legitimize the BTN network as a winter sports network in the entire northeast demographic. UCONN football, with the University of New Jersey, would give the BTN network two scheduling options to have at least one game on every weekend in the Northeast Demographic. The university fits the entire academic and athletic mission of the conference.

That this has not happened yet - is mind boggling.

UConn is still not a member of the AAU which is pretty much a requirement for Big 10 members (other than Nebraska apparently). I think once UConn get's the AAU status and some wins under our belt next season, talk to start to heat up.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
No... The only antiquated facility at UC today, is 5/3rd arena and the university already agreed to renovate that.
You've got the recently opened Linder Center http://www.gobearcats.com/strength/cinn-strength.html
The Sheakley Athletics Center built in 2012 http://www.gobearcats.com/facilities/sheakley.html
and a renovated Nippert Stadium. I'm sorry but the idea, that we still have old facilities is non-sense.
WE (as in UConn doesn't have old facilities) you're right. Nippert is a joke of a stadium in the Big XII... Let's be honest. Have you ever seen the stadiums Texas, Oklahoma, or Texas Tech play in. Cincy doesn't hold a candle to those places and they never will because Ohio State rules that market- not the Bearcats. UConn on the other hand could have a lone dominance in the Northeast and re-kindle a rivalry with West Virginia in the Big XII.

Reaction Score
WE (as in UConn doesn't have old facilities) you're right. Nippert is a joke of a stadium in the Big XII... Let's be honest. Have you ever seen the stadiums Texas, Oklahoma, or Texas Tech play in.
Cincy doesn't hold a candle to those places and they never will because Ohio State rules that market- not the Bearcats. UConn on the other hand could have a lone dominance in the Northeast and re-kindle a rivalry with West Virginia in the Big XII.

I guess my reply to that would be that the Rent is cold, sterile and pretty far away from your main campus. With no atmosphere or real home field advantage. Kind of a boring place to catch a football game. The renovated Nippert will have nicer concourses, brand new luxury boxes and be a hell of a lot louder than Rentschler. It's also part of campus and has history to it. The Rent by contrast, is pretty much just an open, bare bones, grey stadium in a parking lot.
Then there's the factor of buzz. When we're winning we have more fan support than your football program does. Which is a shame, if it had half of what your basketball program gets, you'd probably be in the Big 10 or ACC now. I think back to the Kelly days when there was a great deal of hype surrounding our football program. A ticket to the big show, would get us even better recruits and more press. It's not like the Bungles or Reds are worth noting.

As far as the Big 12 stadium bit, there are few stadiums that compete with Texas Memorial Stadium, even in the same conference and yours doesn't either. More over, we have a pro stadium and an NFL franchise who uses our practice facilities and sometimes hosts our pro days, as well as letting us use their field when needed(like this entire past season). By contrast, you don't really know whether the Pats will let you use Foxboro or not. So, could you accommodate their crowds? Could you battle for recruits in their territory also? Seems like a bit of a culture clash not to mention the weather. I don't know that you would dominate the Northeast, when you are predominantly playing teams in a conference that are from the Midwest and southern plains.

Besides, we already have a rivalry with the couch burners. With us and Memphis, you gain two traditional rivals(going back all the way to the metro conference), the liberty bowl(the stadium), and close proximity to WVU. Not to mention, fertile recruiting ground, which isn't in the northeast.

Football is a bible/rust belt sport. Not an East Coast sport.

Reaction Score
DoctorWho85 said:
UConn is still not a member of the AAU which is pretty much a requirement for Big 10 members (other than Nebraska apparently). I think once UConn get's the AAU status and some wins under our belt next season, talk to start to heat up.
I, we, and they have been talking about AAU for years now, too. When does that ship come in?

Reaction Score
Memphis and Cincy package deal. Fred Smith doing his thing $$$. Thank you FedEx. They can use our university to fullfill their ambitions all the want.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
For god sake...now we have Memphis AND Cincy folks posting here? Seriously, unless we're playing you in football on a specific week, stick to the CR boards and let us wallow in our misery alone here. Thanks again for your interest in Connecticut Football. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I guess my reply to that would be that the Rent is cold, sterile and pretty far away from your main campus. With no atmosphere or real home field advantage. Kind of a boring place to catch a football game. The renovated Nippert will have nicer concourses, brand new luxury boxes and be a hell of a lot louder than Rentschler. It's also part of campus and has history to it. The Rent by contrast, is pretty much just an open, bare bones, grey stadium in a parking lot.
Then there's the factor of buzz. When we're winning we have more fan support than your football program does. Which is a shame, if it had half of what your basketball program gets, you'd probably be in the Big 10 or ACC now. I think back to the Kelly days when there was a great deal of hype surrounding our football program. A ticket to the big show, would get us even better recruits and more press. It's not like the Bungles or Reds are worth noting.

As far as the Big 12 stadium bit, there are few stadiums that compete with Texas Memorial Stadium, even in the same conference and yours doesn't either. More over, we have a pro stadium and an NFL franchise who uses our practice facilities and sometimes hosts our pro days, as well as letting us use their field when needed(like this entire past season). By contrast, you don't really know whether the Pats will let you use Foxboro or not. So, could you accommodate their crowds? Could you battle for recruits in their territory also? Seems like a bit of a culture clash not to mention the weather. I don't know that you would dominate the Northeast, when you are predominantly playing teams in a conference that are from the Midwest and southern plains.

Besides, we already have a rivalry with the couch burners. With us and Memphis, you gain two traditional rivals(going back all the way to the metro conference), the liberty bowl(the stadium), and close proximity to WVU. Not to mention, fertile recruiting ground, which isn't in the northeast.

Football is a bible/rust belt sport. Not an East Coast sport.
I completely disagree with everything you wrote, except that The Rent is cold and grey... (I agree it's aging and does need some love as far as astectics go I believe). And IMO college football should not be played in NFL stadiums. It really shouldn't be. But that's just my opinon.

Reaction Score
For god sake...now we have Memphis AND Cincy folks posting here? Seriously, unless we're playing you in football on a specific week, stick to the CR boards and let us wallow in our misery alone here. Thanks again for your interest in Connecticut Football. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Calm down, I can't make fun of you, we're in the same conference purgatory. I don't like being in a conference with ECU, Houston, Temple, Tulane and Tulsa any more than you do. We were already in Conference USA, we barely even got to be a part of the Big East. :*(

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Aging? Cold and gray perhaps, but The Rent hasn't even hit puberty!
Ok, maybe "aging" was too strong a term... But I think we fans can all agree The Rent sure could use some sprucing-up and help in terms of making it feel more like UConn's home.

Reaction Score
Calm down, I can't make fun of you, we're in the same conference purgatory. I don't like being in a conference with ECU, Houston, Temple, Tulane and Tulsa any more than you do. We were already in Conference USA, we barely even got to be a part of the Big East. :*(
Good news is coming in May!

Reaction Score
Most reports point to Cincy and Memphis leaving. If that occurs then the AAC needs to add two teams. UCONN wants a B1G or ACC invite but in the absense of that who should the AAC reach out to?

1. UMASS
2. Army
3. Villanova
4. BYU
5. Marshall
6. Ohio U.

I gave this some additional thought. If the AAC loses Cincy and Memphis, I would like to see Army and Northern Illinois. I wonder if Mike Aresco could convince the other Huskies to leave the MAC? The Money is a little better and the exposure would be considerably better. By Adding Northern IL you add the Chicago market, Army a National following and more NYC.

https://www.dailyherald.com/article/20141214/sports/141219174/

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I gave this some additional thought. If the AAC loses Cincy and Memphis, I would like to see Army and Northern Illinois. I wonder if Mike Aresco could convince the other Huskies to leave the MAC? The Money is a little better and the exposure would be considerably better. By Adding Northern IL you add the Chicago market, Army a National following and more NYC.

https://www.dailyherald.com/article/20141214/sports/141219174/

Can a mod please nuke my account. Please?!?

I'm serious. Please.

Reaction Score
Can a mod please nuke my account. Please?!?

I'm serious. Please.

If the AAC lost Cincy, I like Northern IL as a replacement. Aside from the planned stadium expansion, their strong alumni base in Chicago got my attention. Also other than Boise State they have one of the best winning % among the Group of 5!

"The Huskies sport the largest alumni base in the Chicago area, some 200,000 strong, and could offer the Big 12 a TV market and presence it currently doesn't possess -- not to mention a football team with more wins (57) than any FBS team since 2010, except Oregon (59), Alabama (58) and Florida State (58)."

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If the AAC lost Cincy, I like Northern IL as a replacement. Aside from the planned stadium expansion, their strong alumni base in Chicago got my attention. Also other than Boise State they have one of the best winning % among the Group of 5!

"The Huskies sport the largest alumni base in the Chicago area, some 200,000 strong, and could offer the Big 12 a TV market and presence it currently doesn't possess -- not to mention a football team with more wins (57) than any FBS team since 2010, except Oregon (59), Alabama (58) and Florida State (58)."

Yes I know you are serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger