The Big Xll open to expanding (ESPN) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Big Xll open to expanding (ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
True. Very valid point. In that case, that just leaves BYU... and UConn.

We as UConn fans look at BYU and UConn as the best choices, but to the P5 UConn is not of the best choice, which makes no sense.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but Cincy has poor facilities, and not a great Football market for the college game because of pro competition and OSU dominating the market there.

Poor facilities? Cincinnati has invested 86,000,000 in the renovation of Nippert.

http://www.gobearcats.com/nippert/home.html

Cincy and Tommy Tubberville are gone. Memphis football is on the rise. They have the Liberty Bowl and FED EX. Memphis almost knocked off UCLA this year.
These teams make sense for travel partners for WVA in an all too Texas centric league.

Reaction Score
Jim Delany is the only guy that really can make UCONN work, the way it can and should, to help a high level money making athletic conference. UCONN men's basketball, would legitimize the BTN network as a winter sports network in the entire northeast demographic. UCONN football, with the University of New Jersey, would give the BTN network two scheduling options to have at least one game on every weekend in the Northeast Demographic. The university fits the entire academic and athletic mission of the conference.

That this has not happened yet - is mind boggling.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Poor facilities? Cincinnati has invested 86,000,000 in the renovation of Nippert.

http://www.gobearcats.com/nippert/home.html

Cincy and Tommy Tubberville are gone. Memphis football is on the rise. They have the Liberty Bowl and FED EX. Memphis almost knocked off UCLA this year.
These teams make sense for travel partners for WVA in an all too Texas centric league.
All correct plus Cincy has the Bengals stadium available to them for bigger games as well.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I read this morning on Bleacher Report that the Big 12 would look to 1. BYU 2. Boise State 3. Cincy 4. UCF 5. Memphis to add 2 schools. UConn not even mentioned. Why would UCF, Cincy or Memphis even make sense? Terrible basketball and decent football (but only over the last few years- esp. Memphis!)
I don't see Boise happening. Yeah their football is decent but what do they bring to the table? Small tv market and poor recruiting area are what's constantly stated for UConn's exclusion and I see the same for Boise. I put them out of the running. It makes me sick but Cincy's likely partner will be BYU, UCF, or Memphis

Reaction Score
Cincy and either BYU or UCF. Cincy will never rock Ohio but gives them some recruiting benefits. Still not great I think.

Reaction Score
We are soooo screwed, its beyond any stretch of imagination. Imagine the best National Basketball program in the last 20 years, and nobody cares.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
1) if you took several dumpsters, lit them on fire, then put them in a larger dumpster that was also on fire, that is our football team.
2) we are a million miles away from the Big 12
3) SH and WM could offer every B12 school admin free BJs for life and when they don't invite us to join, the BY will just chalk it up to some version of "donuts" or "monitoring".

literally just burst out laughing in the library reading #1. well done.

Reaction Score
Oklahoma not flying all the way here play at the Rent in front of 25K. Not in my lifetime.

They made the exception for WVU. It fits in. No academics no classes. Nobody graduates.

Reaction Score
Oklahoma not flying all the way here play at the Rent in front of 25K. Not in my lifetime.

They made the exception for WVU. It fits in. No academics no classes. Nobody graduates.

If Oklahoma comes to the rent do you really think that 25k fans will be in attendance? Everyone new ( even though it was a close game) that we were going to lose to Michigan and the rent was a sold out. If Oklahoma comes to the rent expect another sell out.

Reaction Score
UconnFamily said:
If Oklahoma comes to the rent do you really think that 25k fans will be in attendance? Everyone new ( even though it was a close game) that we were going to lose to Michigan and the rent was a sold out. If Oklahoma comes to the rent expect another sell out.

Yeah that was a really stupid comment. Doesn't change the fact that we won't sniff the Big 12's list.

Reaction Score
Quick question from an interested third party - doesn't the B10 required AAU membership for its schools? Is UCONN an AAU member?

Reaction Score
With 50% being OK fans. Maybe??

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Can we please stop now?

McMurphy:
Every person I spoke to today that’s from Big 12 or Big 12 school: league is not expanding

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Reading the replies to McMurphy's tweet is like reading the Cliff Notes on years of dumb CR posts.

Reaction Score
Can we please stop now?

McMurphy:
Every person I spoke to today that’s from Big 12 or Big 12 school: league is not expanding
We just lost to Yale in basketball, followed that up with a loss to the worst FBS football team since 2004 and all Bob Fiasco can talk about is the process and our women's team even lost a game this year. These are arguably the darkest days in UCONN history as we're about to embark on a winter of basketball games against Tulane, ECU,, Tulsa, and UCF. Our next football game is against a Villanova team that is better than us and you can't allow us to dream?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We just lost to Yale in basketball, followed that up with a loss to the worst FBS football team since 2004 and all Bob Fiasco can talk about is the process and our women's team even lost a game this year. These are arguably the darkest days in UCONN history as we're about to embark on a winter of basketball games against Tulane, ECU,, Tulsa, and UCF. Our next football game is against a Villanova team that is better than us and you can't allow us to dream?

The Big 12 expanding is bad for UConn so I'm not sure what you are dreaming about?

Reaction Score
The only Big we are getting into is a Bigger pile of . If the dopes in Storrs can't manage a move with two national basketball championships in hand, then they couldn't sell a life raft to a drowning man.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The only Big we are getting into is a Bigger pile of . If the dopes in Storrs can't manage a move with two national basketball championships in hand, then they couldn't sell a life raft to a drowning man.
Nice analogy, but it's backwards - we are the drowning man and the P5 conferences have the life raft. If basketball championships had any value in conference realignment, the other guys would have sent the yacht from Wolf of Wall Street over to rescue us years ago. The fact that they haven't should tell you how much they care about bball trophies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Hardly.

UConn cannot increase overall revenue for each member by an amount that exceeds the dilution of revenue for each current member.

This isn't rocket science. It's basic math.

In some cases that's true (as I believe you are referring to the Big12 in this case) but it seems to be a lot of these moves have been made to open up and renegotiate existing deals. For instance the ACC deal that was reopened after Syracuse and Pitt joined went up significantly and aside from their message boards everyone realizes it wasn't Pitt and Syracuse that paid for themselves and brought extra tv value.

Who knows? Maybe a conference title game, added inventory and two national brands (BYU football and UConn basketball) both coming on as "junior members" makes financial sense.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Quick question from an interested third party - doesn't the B10 required AAU membership for its schools? Is UCONN an AAU member?
Yes. and no... and we would need to increase The Rent's seating to over 50K seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom