The Big Xll open to expanding (ESPN) | The Boneyard

The Big Xll open to expanding (ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Unless Warde and company make an outstanding pitch to them, I doubt UConn will even be on their radar; especially after the season we just had. But being a basement team in the Big 12 is still miles better than being a basement team in the American, as sad as that sounds.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
1) if you took several dumpsters, lit them on fire, then put them in a larger dumpster that was also on fire, that is our football team.
2) we are a million miles away from the Big 12
3) SH and WM could offer every B12 school admin free BJs for life and when they don't invite us to join, the BY will just chalk it up to some version of "donuts" or "monitoring".

Reaction Score
Unless Warde and company make an outstanding pitch to them, I doubt UConn will even be on their radar; especially after the season we just had. But being a basement team in the Big 12 is still miles better than being a basement team in the American, as sad as that sounds.
Being in the Big 12 will help recruiting. First rule out of the Jim Calhoun Program Construction book published in 1986, was you begin the rebuilding process by recruiting the conference. You get kids that were snubbed by the more elite program or who were just not quite at that level, turn them into a hungry bunch with a chip on their shoulders, begin to beat them every once in a while and then . . . . capture lightning in a bottle similar to the 1989-1900 Dream Season. After that the process becomes one of sustaining that level. UConn football had gotten to that point (Fiesta Bowl) but since then has made mistake after mistake and dropped to an all time low.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 makes absolutely no sense for UConn. Traveling expenses will kill us with the next closest school being West Virginia and they're getting killed in traveling expenses as well.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
While I think there is no way UConn ends up in the Big 12 the travel is only barely worse than the AAC.
Laugh all you want at Diaco's line about recruiting out of AAC cities with direct flights to Hartford, but the main sink for BXII travel is time, not money. Their campuses are not close to major airports. (Someone pointed this out during the last round of realignment but I can't remember who it was). Well I suppose you could charter learjets but then money does become the sink, especially if we're talking about our track, softball, swimming, etc.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Why not just join the Western Division in the NFL?

Reaction Score
The Big 12 makes absolutely no sense for UConn. Traveling expenses will kill us with the next closest school being West Virginia and they're getting killed in traveling expenses as well.

We already travel to Louisiana, Texas, Florida, and soon Oklahoma (Tulsa), and have traveled to West Virginia. With most teams in the Big Xll located in Texas and Oklahoma I don't see how it wouldn't make sense. If we partner with Cincinnati then traveling becomes easier. We also played the Basketball Championship in Texas. With 30 million dollars a year I don't see how UConn can't benefit being in the Big Xll.

Reaction Score
We already go (or will go) to Texas and Oklahoma (SMU, Houston and Tulsa). Travel will not be an issue for Uconn. Other B12 teams may have an issue with it though but thankfully we have a major airport within 20 minutes of the Rent.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Laugh all you want at Diaco's line about recruiting out of AAC cities with direct flights to Hartford, but the main sink for BXII travel is time, not money. Their campuses are not close to major airports. (Someone pointed this out during the last round of realignment but I can't remember who it was). Well I suppose you could charter learjets but then money does become the sink, especially if we're talking about our track, softball, swimming, etc.

I didn't laugh about that. And I understand Big XII travel is more challenging, but the travel already is bad.

Reaction Score

I keep saying it... beggars can't be choosers. They should at least do their best to capitalize on the situation or continue to get left behind. Second guessing didn't get BC to the ACC or West Virginia in the Big 12. Ask questions later. I agree with @TouchdownHusky, we may be moving from one basement to another, but that type of move should help our recruiting tremendously. I have plenty of doubts it'll actually happen, but they should at least get active in trying to make it happen.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Most reports point to Cincy and Memphis leaving. If that occurs then the AAC needs to add two teams. UCONN wants a B1G or ACC invite but in the absense of that who should the AAC reach out to?

1. UMASS
2. Army
3. Villanova
4. BYU
5. Marshall
6. Ohio U.

Please explain why we need two more teams.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I read this morning on Bleacher Report that the Big 12 would look to 1. BYU 2. Boise State 3. Cincy 4. UCF 5. Memphis to add 2 schools. UConn not even mentioned. Why would UCF, Cincy or Memphis even make sense? Terrible basketball and decent football (but only over the last few years- esp. Memphis!)

Reaction Score
I read this morning on Bleacher Report that the Big 12 would look to 1. BYU 2. Boise State 3. Cincy 4. UCF 5. Memphis to add 2 schools. UConn not even mentioned. Why would UCF, Cincy or Memphis even make sense? Terrible basketball and decent football (but only over the last few years- esp. Memphis!)

Yeah, I'll also never understand the "decent football/poor basketball > terrible football (with potential)/elite, blue-blood basketball" logic. Out of those five teams, BYU and Cincinnati make the most sense in terms of payoff for the Big 12.

Reaction Score
UCONN, for the past few years and indefinitely into the future better damn well be constantly pursuing an invitation to any conference on the other side of the great money divide in NCAA athletics.

The ideal, natural fit for the university structure both geographically, and academic/athletic mission wise is the big 10 conference. The ACC is second. The big 12 third. If the big 12 has an opening though? We better be kicking and pushing little kids out of line to get to the front to sit on Santa's lap.

Reaction Score
We weren't mention because our football couldn't win 6 or 7 games
If we did that we would be near the top of the list.
Football teams who quit are not looked on with great favor.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'll also never understand the "decent football/poor basketball > terrible football (with potential)/elite, blue-blood basketball" logic. Out of those five teams, BYU and Cincinnati make the most sense in terms of payoff for the Big 12.
Yeah, but Cincy has poor facilities, and not a great Football market for the college game because of pro competition and OSU dominating the market there.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but Cincy has poor facilities, and not a great Football market for the college game because of pro competition and OSU dominating the market there.

True. Very valid point. In that case, that just leaves BYU... and UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom