The Big Ten should add UConn and BC for East Coast Supremacy | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Big Ten should add UConn and BC for East Coast Supremacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We all know how it works....But Louisville is spilled milk...it was the right move for a conference fighting for position at the football table in the BCS/P5.

Yesterday is past and gone...no sense in savoring butt hurt. It is the tomorrows that are of interest.

Reaction Score
But so what?

A conference needs some identity. The ACC had a decent academic reputation. They gave it up for short term gain. The SEC is known for football and always had been. The ACC will not compete with the SEC for football supremacy, so they should have maintained academic quality to counter the fixed identity of the SEC in the south. Say what you want about the B1G, but other than NW (which, as a private, is as good as it gets) they have the top public university in their respective states (and 2 in both Indiana and Michigan). You say so what? I guess they did too in Dec. 2012. I think they effed up big time and will haunt them.

Reaction Score
A conference needs some identity. The ACC had a decent academic reputation. They gave it up for short term gain. The SEC is known for football and always had been. The ACC will not compete with the SEC for football supremacy, so they should have maintained academic quality to counter the fixed identity of the SEC in the south. Say what you want about the B1G, but other than NW (which, as a private, is as good as it gets) they have the top public university in their respective states (and 2 in both Indiana and Michigan). You say so what? I guess they did too in Dec. 2012. I think they effed up big time and will haunt them.

The way to build a strong conference is by putting together a group of like-minded similar universities that offer similar value propositions. ACC is one of the conferences with a mix of private and public universities. In the long term, it will be its downfall. UNC and UVA don't have much similarity with schools like Wake and BCU. B1G, at least, got it right by sticking with major state universities. This is also why B12 will fail as well with schools all over the place (see WVU).

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
UConn would have been a better football choice than Louisville?

Louisville might gain a little weight...but how much weight would UConn have to lose to finish AP Top 25 five or six times, win a couple of BCS Bowls (equivalent)?

That's the question when you ask...why Louisville?
Nah that's the question you ask. The question I ask is did the ACC reveal itself as being unprincipled and desperate by taking a glorified community college into it's conference?

Time will tell if Louisville was a better choice than UConn.

Reaction Score
LOL...unprincipled and desperate?

That is surely a UConn take....not the take of the rest of the country. And it is the echo of hurt and disappointment.

pj

Reaction Score
Was it not the triumph of football principles over academic principles?

Reaction Score
It was an athletic conference win. What academic principles?

If you mean the same tea sniffing principles that made it difficult for FSU to break into the ACC..maybe.

Will Duke, UNC, Virginia, Wake, Miami, VT all get USNWR downgrades on academic ratings for playing Louisville?

pj

Reaction Score
Will Duke, UNC, Virginia, Wake, Miami, VT all get USNWR downgrades on academic ratings for playing Louisville?

Maybe, in time. Birds of a feather flock together.

Reaction Score
There is more than a hint of unmitigated stupidity oozing from the passages posted here by Melville's character. We need Captain Vere. No question it will be a fair prosecution this time!

Reaction Score
LOL...unprincipled and desperate?

That is surely a UConn take....not the take of the rest of the country. And it is the echo of hurt and disappointment.
So you speak for the country or are you just echoing the group-speak narrative of your masters in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
The ACC and FSU wanted Miami...Miami had to have BC and Cuse as their price....

And Miami was hot at the time...12 win seasons in 2001 and 2002...two straight BCS championship games...five national football championships in 20 years.

Yes..Miami was a hottie in 2002.....the ACC would have taken FIU or Georgia Southern if Shalala had insisted.

Sometimes, after you pay many cattle for a comely young bride, she gets fat and waddles.
Shalala gave everyone a picture of Miami-to-come when she spoke of her displeasure with football. FSU wasn't interested in looking at it. Now everyone is saying the Hurricanes aren't aging well.

Reaction Score
Miami has done OK in terms of what one would expect when joining a basketball conference. BC not so much.

Reaction Score
Their mistake was to skip the large state U's in the Northeast. If the ACC had taken UCONN and Rutgers it would be the most stable league in the country behind the SEC. The Big Ten would be looking to get into the South and East and have very limited options that don't fit their profile. (BC, Cuse). Meanwhile, if the SEC wanted to steal anyone from the ACC, they'd likely get NC ST and or VTech, which wouldn't destroy the ACC at all.

I can't argue that UL wasn't a timely add, they needed some good football at the time. However, their venture into New York/New England was a comical error. If any decision will haunt the ACC, skipping Rutgers and UCONN will be it.
That is some lofty view of stabilization value. I agree that it will be a mistake if the ACC doesn't add UConn at some point. But I'm just not feeling it with Rutgers. The Detroit Bowl Champions just don't knock my socks off. And basketball? Geez. But Ok. To each his own. The Big Ten brought them in for New Jersey cable subscribers. The ACC will have to get cable subscribers from another state.

There are only two college football teams that move the needle in the Northeast really. Penn State and Notre Dame. One is in the Big Ten. The other is playing 5 ACC games per year. There are several major college basketball programs in the Northeast that move the needle. UConn is one, and would fit well in the ACC, which has several others. The football is good enough and can improve.

Reaction Score
There are only two college football teams that move the needle in the Northeast really. Penn State and Notre Dame. One is in the Big Ten. The other is playing 5 ACC games per year. .

re: Rutgers: I think everyone needs to look at how the combo of Big Ten + Rutgers is much sweeter than either alone in the NYC market. True, Rutgers brought the cable market, but there's a lot of Big Ten fans (other than PSU or Rutgers) that are now more engaged because Rutgers is now part of the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
re: Rutgers: I think everyone needs to look at how the combo of Big Ten + Rutgers is much sweeter than either alone in the NYC market. True, Rutgers brought the cable market, but there's a lot of Big Ten fans (other than PSU or Rutgers) that are now more engaged because Rutgers is now part of the Big Ten.

I'll take your word for it. Perhaps Rutgers will help the Big Ten in NYC in ways it didn't the Big East or couldn't have for the ACC. ESPN recently has done a rating of Power Conference football coaching jobs. They have an interesting blurb about Rutgers. It basically insinuates that New York doesn't even notice that the Heisman happens in NYC. It doesn't care about college football according to ESPN.

B-n2eilUYAAQEjp.png

Reaction Score
Don't take my word for it, go to the interactive map. Michigan and Ohio State show up quite a bit.

For example, I don't know how the Domers say on one hand that there are dome lovers all over NYC, but then don't acknowledge that collectively the Big Ten has far more fans there. Michigan alone matches Notre Dame numbers in several areas of NYC. And while Notre Dame will max out at 2 games a year in the NYC market (most likely 0 or 1), the Big Ten now has 5, or more.

Reaction Score
Time will tell if Louisville was a better choice than UConn.
The thing is, if UConn is still relegated to this abortion of a conference in 5-10 years, we won't even have the chance to be the better long-term choice.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Seaa Blue said:
That's why we need a guaranteed path to the playoffs (P4?) so conferences can go to a mandatory 10 game conference schedule and not worry so much about who they're playing non-conference.

At 1 million+ for 1-off games, conferences will start thinking hard about changing the formula.

10 game conference schedules are at odds with the need for 7-8 hone games.

10 games means only 5 at home, the other two would by need be against non-P5 teams who don't require a return game. Neutral sites might might up the lost revenue, but not for the 90k+ schools and those will only be a novelty for so long.

Reaction Score
I think that the neutral games to start the season will continue to be scheduled....they make interesting cross regional games...

Coming up over the years...

LSU-Texas, WVU-Tennessee, Louisville-Auburn. FSU-Ole Miss, USC-Bama, Florida-Michigan, FSU-Bama, and more.

I don't think they will take the place of home and home scheduling, and the preseason games are limited in number and thus only a small percentage of the schedule.

Reaction Score
I'll take your word for it. Perhaps Rutgers will help the Big Ten in NYC in ways it didn't the Big East or couldn't have for the ACC. ESPN recently has done a rating of Power Conference football coaching jobs. They have an interesting blurb about Rutgers. It basically insinuates that New York doesn't even notice that the Heisman happens in NYC. It doesn't care about college football according to ESPN.
Why WOULD New York care about college football? There's been nothing to care about. Nobody cares about losing. What the Big Ten signed on for was to build a market where none exists. That takes time and more than Rutgers. The real question is, stimpy, will you still love us when we're in the B1G? ;)

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
10% of NYC is still more valuable to TV execs than 80% of Tuscaloosa. And until millions of people swarm out of the northeast and migrate to the deep south, it always will be.

Reaction Score
I doubt it'd happen but it'd be kinda funny if the Big Ten finally snags a Catholic school and it's Boston College.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom