The Big Ten should add UConn and BC for East Coast Supremacy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Big Ten should add UConn and BC for East Coast Supremacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We've been talking about BU in the other thread and that probably makes more sense for the B1G.

BC athletics program, further weakened by the rise of UConn and BU in the B1G, would help reduce the ACC's per-school .

So I would guess BU makes more sense than BC to Delany. .

While its true that Boston University has been more successful in football vs. Boston College than UConn has, the notion that BU is going to be going to the Big some day is about as likely as Barry Manilow someday being inducted into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. In other words, stop the silliness re. Boston University. Football drives the expansion, and BU just plays flag football.

Reaction Score
That's why we need a guaranteed path to the playoffs (P4?) so conferences can go to a mandatory 10 game conference schedule and not worry so much about who they're playing non-conference.

At 1 million+ for 1-off games, conferences will start thinking hard about changing the formula.

Reaction Score
The B1G has already had a lot of discussion on 10 game conference scheduling. It's been tabled but they plan to revisit the subject.

I actually wrote to Larry Scott and Delany with an idea I had, but not surprisingly I didn't even get a form letter in response from either one. This was way back when Scott had just got hired.

I figured with a Pac12 Network, the B1G and Pac12 should start a Rose series. Have a B1G/Pac12 game every week for a 12 game series and count the games as conference games in the conference standings. If no network partners want the package, just simulcast on B1G and Pac12 Networks. They're always yacking that biz-speak about "branding"--what a branding opportunity, drawing on the long history of the Rose Bowl. Oh, well...

I think the B1G will move to 10 conference games eventually, and I think football will be better for it. I hate stupid, one-sided pay-for-play games.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
The B1G has already had a lot of discussion on 10 game conference scheduling. It's been tabled but they plan to revisit the subject.

I actually wrote to Larry Scott and Delany with an idea I had, but not surprisingly I didn't even get a form letter in response from either one. This was way back when Scott had just got hired.

I figured with a Pac12 Network, the B1G and Pac12 should start a Rose series. Have a B1G/Pac12 game every week for a 12 game series and count the games as conference games in the conference standings. If no network partners want the package, just simulcast on B1G and Pac12 Networks. They're always yacking that biz-speak about "branding"--what a branding opportunity, drawing on the long history of the Rose Bowl. Oh, well...

I think the B1G will move to 10 conference games eventually, and I think football will be better for it. I hate stupid, one-sided pay-for-play games.

The Big10 and the PAC almost had a series planned. It was in the works and some teams started scheduling each other in home and home games (Michigan and Utah are completing their home and home this season when Michigan goes to Utah). The PAC backed out and some feel that led to the admission of UMD and RU. I don't see it as that, but who knows?

pj

Reaction Score

This is an excellent idea. The B1G-Pac challenge, played out over a whole season. Would generate huge interest. Now that the major bowls are being eclipsed by the playoffs, this would be a great way to preserve the Rose traditions.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I noticed a couple bouncers named Gor and Fee out front.

Unfortunately, a guy named Mistake invited her in and can't find a way to get her out. He was entranced by her large cleavage . . . errrrrrrr . . . Boston's population, but found out she was stuffing her bra . . . errrrrrrr. . . relevance in Boston. Been trying to get rid of her since.

Reaction Score
I think that the ACC made a mistake going into the northeast but that was the deal with Miami.

Reaction Score
billybud said:
I think that the ACC made a mistake going into the northeast but that was the deal with Miami.

Their mistake was to skip the large state U's in the Northeast. If the ACC had taken UCONN and Rutgers it would be the most stable league in the country behind the SEC. The Big Ten would be looking to get into the South and East and have very limited options that don't fit their profile. (BC, Cuse). Meanwhile, if the SEC wanted to steal anyone from the ACC, they'd likely get NC ST and or VTech, which wouldn't destroy the ACC at all.

I can't argue that UL wasn't a timely add, they needed some good football at the time. However, their venture into New York/New England was a comical error. If any decision will haunt the ACC, skipping Rutgers and UCONN will be it.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Their mistake was to skip the large state U's in the Northeast. If the ACC had taken UCONN and Rutgers it would be the most stable league in the country behind the SEC. The Big Ten would be looking to get into the South and East and have very limited options that don't fit their profile. (BC, Cuse). Meanwhile, if the SEC wanted to steal anyone from the ACC, they'd likely get NC ST and or VTech, which wouldn't destroy the ACC at all.

I can't argue that UL wasn't a timely add, they needed some good football at the time. However, their venture into New York/New England was a comical error. If any decision will haunt the ACC, skipping Rutgers and UCONN will be it.

And that is why Swofford has to take a major hit: how could he believe that BC was going, to paraphrase DeFilippo, to be New England's school when BC can't even deliver the Boston market. Swofford also could have forced UConn with Syracuse for the 2nd raid but evidently capitulated and took Pitt.

Reaction Score
The ACC and FSU wanted Miami...Miami had to have BC and Cuse as their price....

And Miami was hot at the time...12 win seasons in 2001 and 2002...two straight BCS championship games...five national football championships in 20 years.

Yes..Miami was a hottie in 2002.....the ACC would have taken FIU or Georgia Southern if Shalala had insisted.

Sometimes, after you pay many cattle for a comely young bride, she gets fat and waddles.

pj

Reaction Score
The ACC and FSU wanted Miami...Miami had to have BC and Cuse as their price....

And Miami was hot at the time...12 win seasons in 2001 and 2002...two straight BCS championship games...five national football championships in 20 years.

Yes..Miami was a hottie in 2002.....the ACC would have taken FIU or Georgia Southern if Shalala had insisted.

Sometimes, after you pay many cattle for a comely young bride, she gets fat and waddles.

Get ready for obese Louisville.

Reaction Score
Louisville might put on a little weight...but they did finish AP Top 25. Something they have been pretty consistent , of late, in accomplishing.

Being pleasingly plump is OK. Not everyone can be a hottie.

pj

Reaction Score
Louisville might put on a little weight...but they did finish AP Top 25. Something they have been pretty consistent , of late, in accomplishing.

Being pleasingly plump is OK. Not everyone can be a hottie.

Not everyone can, but the ACC is batting 1 for 5 with Big East additions - counting Va Tech as a success, and Louisville as a too early to tell. BC and Miami have regressed, Pitt is already regressing, Cuse football regressed years ago and basketball will decline as soon as Boeheim retires or earlier if the NCAA sanctions are severe. And Va Tech was the one the ACC didn't want.

Reaction Score
UConn would have been a better football choice than Louisville?

Louisville might gain a little weight...but how much weight would UConn have to lose to finish AP Top 25 five or six times, win a couple of BCS Bowls (equivalent)?

That's the question when you ask...why Louisville?

pj

Reaction Score

Louisville might gain a little weight...but how much weight would UConn have to lose to finish AP Top 25 five or six times, win a couple of BCS Bowls (equivalent)?

Over the next 50 years, UConn football will be better than Louisville football. We have a much bigger fan and resource base, and that will translate to the football program in time.

Just my opinion. No question Louisville football has outcompeted UConn football in recent years.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

When you say weight, do you mean ethical standards?

Reaction Score
Teans go up and down...FSU and GT finished Top 10 and Clemson #15....some years Louisville will be in that mix, some not.

NC State, Virginia Tech, FSU, Duke, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Louisville have all finished in the AP Top 25 since 2010.

I suspect that we'll see Miami finish Top 25 again. Programs go up and down. BC finished in 2005, 06, and 07.

Regarding UConn's future, maybe they will surpass Louisville. Maybe not. Time and recruiting will tell.

What will be needed.

.....good athletes who can compete competitively with ranked teams.
....a good quarterback
....a coach who can inspire belief and recruit well
....games that will catch attention with a win

Reaction Score
Over the next 50 years, UConn football will be better than Louisville football. We have a much bigger fan and resource base, and that will translate to the football program in time.

Just my opinion. No question Louisville football has outcompeted UConn football in recent years.

True in the short term, but the ACC permanently sullied its decent academic reputation by throwing in with this joke of a school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom