The Big Lead Top 50 Players | The Boneyard

The Big Lead Top 50 Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
DHam the only guy listed, but interesting list: http://thebiglead.com/2015/07/30/50-best-players-college-basketball-2015-2016/

26. Daniel Hamilton, F/G, Connecticut
– Had a good-but-not-great freshman year with the Huskies, who didn’t rebound well from winning the Championship. Could have gone to the NBA, but stayed in school and should significantly improve on his 10.9 ppg, 7.6 rpg and 38 percent FG shooting. Hamilton is a fantastic buy-low stock.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Three freshman as the top three players in the country? Please. I hate this fricken lists.

Reaction Score
I like Murray alot, but having him as the first guard listsed ahead of Dunn is nonsense. Dunn's numbers this year are probably going to be unreal.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Jason McIntyre is probably the worst sportswriter who somehow makes a living at the craft.

He concluded the other day that Cueto makes the Royals better but didn't improve their chances to win the World Series.

Reaction Score
How is STERLING GIBBS not on this list?? He averaged 16 ppg last year playing in a great league !

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
So there was so much talk about Skal Labissiere last year and him not going to be eligible. Has he been cleared yet? Will he? I assume because he is at UK he will be cleared.

Reaction Score
So there was so much talk about Skal Labissiere last year and him not going to be eligible. Has he been cleared yet? Will he? I assume because he is at UK he will be cleared.

The questions about Labissiere were primarily related to his basketball team, which was affiliated with a fake school. But he actually attended a real school elsewhere. His guardian going around trying to get handouts might cause a problem, though, and it's not like UK doesn't have recent issues with kids being declared ineligible.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I like Murray alot, but having him as the first guard listsed ahead of Dunn is nonsense. Dunn's numbers this year are probably going to be unreal.
Dunn is the best guard in basketball this year, hands down.

Reaction Score
Three freshman as the top three players in the country? Please. I hate this fricken lists.
Were Okafor and Towns not the top two players last year? I think they were, even over Kaminsky.

Reaction Score
Were Okafor and Towns not the top two players last year? I think they were, even over Kaminsky.

I think I would disagree with Towns being a top two player in the nation- granted had he played 35 mins a game he very well could have been. Don't be confused with have the most NBA potential and being the top player in COLLEGE basketball. KAT averaged 10.3 ppg and 6.7 rpg. In fact, KAT wasn't even first team all american. So that means all the writers and voters agree that he wasn't a top 2 player in the country. Just because he went #1 in the NBA draft does not make them the best college players. See Kemba Walker (best player in 2011 and didn't get picked #1 overall).

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
And the hype continues. The problem with rankings like this is that they take into account the team that the player is playing for. Towns was top 3 in this list last year, but from a pure talent 1-on-1 perspective, there's no way he was top 3. Yet since he played on a loaded squad that had the Kentucky hype going for it as well, he looked much better and as a result got a better ranking.

Same thing goes for the ranking putting Ingram at Duke as the #1 wing in the nation. Is he really the best wing in the nation before even having played a game? HELL NO, but will he perceived as the best after a full season of playing on a loaded Duke team with the media pushing him and the Devils as the best? Probably.

An example in the NBA is if they did a ranking of top wings in the league. Is Kawai Leonard a better wing than Melo? No way, but Leonard will get ranked higher because he plays on a system like the Spurs while Melo is the captain of the train wreck that is the NY Knicks.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
This is interesting analysis, although I don't agree with all of it. First of all, Towns was most definitely #1 or #2 from a "pure talent 1-on-1 perspective" though I'm not positive what you mean by "1-on-1" here.

Also, there is at least a very compelling argument that switching Leonard and Melo makes the Spurs worse and the Knicks better because Kawhi is a better athlete, decision-maker, and defender than is Melo.
Melo is a better NBA player than Kawai, if Leonard was on a different team he would struggle to be the #1 option, let alone the numbers Melo puts up.

As for Towns, he is good, but I really don't think he has the skill and talent level Okafor has for example. What I mean by "1-on-1" is that the NBA is largely dependent on matchups. Towns is very solid in lots of areas of the game, but isn't particularly great at any one thing, and I think Okafor will be a much better pro in my opinion. Yet the point I was making is that Towns got drafted #1 because he was on one of the most talented teams in recent memory in college and that allowed him to hide many of his weaknesses and deficiencies.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
They were two of the better players and great pro prospects. That said, were talking about this years incoming class and there is no way that Labissiere is one of the top 3 in the country. He just isn't a great player yet. Crawford will have way more impact, in my opinion, but one of the top 3 players in the country? Come on.

Reaction Score
They were two of the better players and great pro prospects. That said, were talking about this years incoming class and there is no way that Labissiere is one of the top 3 in the country. He just isn't a great player yet. Crawford will have way more impact, in my opinion, but one of the top 3 players in the country? Come on.

Labassiere is the composite #2 overall player in the class and a consensus top 2 overall pick in the draft next year. It really isn't a stretch at all that he'll be one of the three best players in the country.

Reaction Score
I think of these lists as an expansion lottery type thing, ie "If you were starting a team from scratch and could pick any player in the country" who would it be?

Last year, I thnk it's Okafor and I wouldn't really think twice about it.

Kaminsky 2nd.

Towns probably 3rd.

Willie Cauley Stein 4th.

Delon Wright 5th.

After that it gets more up in the air.

So, I think his list is a little freshman top-heavy, but 2 in the top 3 certainly isn't shocking.

Reaction Score
I think I would disagree with Towns being a top two player in the nation- granted had he played 35 mins a game he very well could have been. Don't be confused with have the most NBA potential and being the top player in COLLEGE basketball. KAT averaged 10.3 ppg and 6.7 rpg. In fact, KAT wasn't even first team all american. So that means all the writers and voters agree that he wasn't a top 2 player in the country. Just because he went #1 in the NBA draft does not make them the best college players. See Kemba Walker (best player in 2011 and didn't get picked #1 overall).
Maybe not during the regular season, but in the SEC and NCAA tournaments, Towns was usually the best player on the floor IMO.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Labassiere is the composite #2 overall player in the class and a consensus top 2 overall pick in the draft next year. It really isn't a stretch at all that he'll be one of the three best players in the country.
And I think he's overrated and will get exposed next year. Just my opinion. Simmons, on the other hand I think is going to be a beast.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
lets see what dunn does without last years lineup
not saying he isn't good but I'm betting Gibbs and/or Adams outshines him
Just my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members