The Big East | The Boneyard

The Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am trying to figure out who the real villains are in the fiasco that has taken place in the Big East. Many have been quick to blame Warde Manual and Susan Herbst but I don't think I would start with them. It seems that John Marinatto who resigned in 2012 could be the leading candidate but when he replaced Mike Tranghese in 2009, Mike said that the league was susceptible to being raided. Shortly after this, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and West Virginia announced that they were leaving. Somebody in the Big East was not watching the store. Back a few years ago, the Big East was the dominant basketball conference and with Uconn, Syracuse, Louisville, Rutgers, Cincinnati and West Virginia had at least a good football conference as the ACC. Why couldn't the Big East negotiate TV deals that would have been comparable to the ACC and the Big Ten? What did Syracuse and Pittsburgh see that we didn't?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
In order, assuming the PSU denial thing wasn't some sort of genetic defect.

BC - the didn't have to follow Miami and VT. The beginning of the end.

ESPN - The money behind it all.

Tranghese/Meatball - thought 2005 was enough FB.

The Catholics - the primary reason we didn't get more FB in 2005.

Pitt - for bailing after turning down the ESPN offer. The final death spiral.

ACC/Swofford - for plotting to destroy another conference.

ND - for being selfish enough to not join as a full member in 2005 or earlier.

Cuse/WVU/Lville/Boise/SDSU/RU all get a pass because the writing was on the wall to leave or get left behind.

UConn - for not finding a home for itself.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
In order, assuming the PSU denial thing wasn't some sort of genetic defect.

BC - the didn't have to follow Miami and VT. The beginning of the end.

ESPN - The money behind it all.

Tranghese/Meatball - thought 2005 was enough FB.

The Catholics - the primary reason we didn't get more FB in 2005.

Pitt - for bailing after turning down the ESPN offer. The final death spiral.

ACC/Swofford - for plotting to destroy another conference.

ND - for being selfish enough to not join as a full member in 2005 or earlier.

Cuse/WVU/Lville/Boise/SDSU/RU all get a pass because the writing was on the wall to leave or get left behind.

UConn - for not finding a home for itself.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Generally agree with this, though I put a bit more of the problem on the presidents of the football schools as a group, as well as Tranghese. Marinatto was a dope and an incompetent, I still can't believe he had no clue and Pitt was the Chairman of the Big East when all this went down. But as a group the football presidents either A. didn't have confidence in their product or B. were too enthralled with the idea of basksetball, to make the choice that was clear. They needed to break away and form their own all sports league. Should have done it in 2005. Absolutely should have done it in 2010. Lacked the vision or the courage to take that step. I'd add Syracuse higher on the list too. they were working to get out ever since they got replaced by VaTech in the first expansion. That was always a non-stabilizing factor. and I'd put ESPn lower on the list. They go there but not as high. While they provided the money, I don't think they really cared who came or went within some limits. On the one hand, they didn't want Temple, but I think they were pretty neutral among UConn, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville and probably Cincinnati.

Reaction Score
I am trying to figure out who the real villains are in the fiasco that has taken place in the Big East. Many have been quick to blame Warde Manual and Susan Herbst but I don't think I would start with them. It seems that John Marinatto who resigned in 2012 could be the leading candidate but when he replaced Mike Tranghese in 2009, Mike said that the league was susceptible to being raided. Shortly after this, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and West Virginia announced that they were leaving. Somebody in the Big East was not watching the store. Back a few years ago, the Big East was the dominant basketball conference and with Uconn, Syracuse, Louisville, Rutgers, Cincinnati and West Virginia had at least a good football conference as the ACC. Why couldn't the Big East negotiate TV deals that would have been comparable to the ACC and the Big Ten? What did Syracuse and Pittsburgh see that we didn't?

It's hard to see how this question can still be asked. Why couldn't the Big East negotiate TV deals comparable to the ACC and the Big Ten? Because their football games didn't draw anywhere near the viewership of the others.'

Why do apples fall down instead of up.

Reaction Score
Pitt, they were in charge of negotiations urged everyone not to take the last deal knowing all the while they were bailing. A major knife in the back and totally unethical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom