The 2nd Temple timeout on UCONN's first drive ... | The Boneyard

The 2nd Temple timeout on UCONN's first drive ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UCONN has 3rd and 5 on the Temple 22 on the opening drive. UCONN breaks the huddle and sends Myers wide left, Foxx slot left, Davis slot right, and McQuillan wide right. A look that I've never scene, and neither has Temple, because they got caught with a LB on Davis ... smartly calling TO #2.

UCONN_Temple1_zps3d59d8c7.jpg

Reaction Score
Rhule discusses UCONN's formation on the sidelines and devises an adjustment ... if UCONN comes out with the same play. I was very surprised to see that they did .... LB & DB switch ... LB takes McQuillan.

UCONN_Temple2_zps25209e6f.jpg

Reaction Score
Temple DB lines up on the outside shoulder of Davis taking away any corner route and directing him to the middle of the field and the awaiting Safety ... if Davis wanted to take it.

UCONN_TEMPLE3_zps0f3392dd.jpg

Reaction Score
Whitmer never looks to the right side of the field, Davis runs a deep route anyway and is well covered by the DB, Temple's Young reads Whitmer the whole time, backs off from Myers as the ball is released .... INT.

My biggest gripe is that Temple rightfully, although frustratingly, calls the 2nd defensive timeout of the drive to coach their D. It proved to be the right call.

The biggest head scratcher for me is why UCONN came out of the time out in the exact same formation?

UCONN_Temple4_zps387d7841.jpg

Reaction Score
In addition to being fumble prone and likely to leave the pocket too quickly, this series
of photos shows another big Chad Whitmer weakness: he rarely looks off defensive backs to impair their ability to cover.

Reaction Score
The physical disparity between Davis and the d-back covering him is remarkable on the last shot. You have to wonder why Whitmer never looked at that.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't matter if CW puts air under the ball - it goes for 6 our way.

It is a timing route ... Whitmer releases the ball before Foxx makes his final cut. If you know Whitmer's target you might be right ... but if the target is the 7 yard line then the DB Young does a pretty good job of reading Whitmer's eyes ...

UCONN_Temple5_zpsaa66e1d8.jpg

Reaction Score
good stuff we need more of this.......I think he mad the right call on what area of the field would be open but stared down his receiver and under threw the pass. The ball should have been caught right on the pylon.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Wow. Their guy came off Myers so much that when the play happened live, I thought it was ZONE. Thanks for posting these screen shots...they clearly show man to man. They also show that Temple knew exactly where the ball was going even before Whitmer did. I also got a kick out of seeing that there is already a DL wrapped up on Whitmer's ankles in the time it takes our WRs to run 5 -10 yards down field. What is that? 1 second?

Dooley

Reaction Score
It is a timing route ... Whitmer releases the ball before Foxx makes his final cut. If you know Whitmer's target you might be right ... but if the target is the 7 yard line then the DB Young does a pretty good job of reading Whitmer's eyes ...

Ironically, it was a timing out route to Foxx that was picked off by Boise at a crucial moment. It appears that enough defenses have seen this route and are jumping it. If we had a capable OL, I'd say it's time for a pump fake stop-and-go. But that would require 1-2 extra seconds of pass protection that we simply do not have this season.

Reaction Score

Foxx had a few steps on the DB. If Whitmer makes the dang throw, it's 7-0 Huskies.

Reaction Score
12-15 yard depth throw vertically, coming from the opposite hash, to the numbers on a deep out timing throw is a really long throw. Cornerback had plenty of time to read and react.

Probably not a bad decision, in the progression and reads, of the play, but a high degree of difficulty to complete, and the cornerback made the correct read, and then made the play.

Reaction Score
When they lined up I called the man coverage and thought they might go for a corner and an underneath crossing. Watching it happen I thought it was odd that the DB would cheat that much - great play.

Reaction Score
In reviewing the plays in this game, this one bothered me as well. Foxx is open, but even in shotgun, the OL gives CW maybe 3 seconds to throw and he was knocked/pulled down about the same time he threw the ball.

The reason it bothered me is Davis is right near the stick in 2 seconds with room. A short pass would yield a 1st down and maybe some YAC as well. I think with our ongoing pass blocking issues we need more of these shorter passes dialed up when they are available.

Reaction Score
What bothers me about these shots though, and hopefully UCONN has sent it in to the league officials, is that the defender is on top Sean McQuillan in a very awkward rear/top position doing I don't know what to him, but it's definitely beyond 5 yards down field from scrimmage. I didn't see a flag thrown.

Reaction Score
McQuillan slipped as he tried to stop at the marker. Good ole Rent turf.

Reaction Score
What bothers me about these shots though, and hopefully UCONN has sent it in to the league officials, is that the defender is on top Sean McQuillan in a very awkward rear/top position doing I don't know what to him, but it's definitely beyond 5 yards down field from scrimmage. I didn't see a flag thrown.

There were a number of those types of plays - some on our guys too...where 20 yards downfield there is all kinds of contact. Amazed more of it didn't get called.

Dooley

Reaction Score
When they lined up I called the man coverage and thought they might go for a corner and an underneath crossing. Watching it happen I thought it was odd that the DB would cheat that much - great play.

Agreed - it was an even better play now that I know it was man to man that they were playing and their kid just read the play and jumped it. Like I said before, when it happened live, I thought it was zone coverage because he came so far off Myers to make the pick. Great play.

Reaction Score
The play call worked. Foxx was open beyond his defender, and Davis had a mismatch going toward the end zone. I've done a frame by frame for many of our pass plays this season (not most, but quite a few) to try and see what's wrong.....there are open receivers on a large percentage of them, but they don't get the ball. And a large percentage of those have a short/intermediate route open before the rush flushes CW out of the pocket.

I'm gonna get killed for this, but it doesn't seem to be talked about often enough.....Whitmer doesn't go through his reads fast enough !

I know the OL is not good.....but even against BYU you could see that Casey and CW were playing a different game. Fewer sacks when Casey was in (3 to 1 i believe). He knows the rush is coming, and still doesn't release the ball quick enough. Davis is a mismatch against nearly every DB he goes up against. A few quick throws to him makes the blitz back off later in the game.

CW plays hard, and Boyle hasn't had enough time on the field to show whether or not he does it better, but what we're doing clearly isn't working. And this set of stills is a great example of why.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Foxx had a few steps on the DB. If Whitmer makes the dang throw, it's 7-0 Huskies.

As many people have mentioned, including Jimmy, the play was there. Whitmer underthrew. On that route, you have to put it in the corner where either your guy or NO guy is going to catch it. I'm sure Chandler would tell you the same thing. It's a difficult throw, but a throw that needs the error to be on the far side, not the short side. Unfortunately, Whitmer threw short...

Reaction Score
McQuillan slipped as he tried to stop at the marker. Good ole Rent turf.

I'd still send that still photo in to the league officiating office and ask where the flag was. Let them figure out what happened.

Reaction Score
As many people have mentioned, including Jimmy, the play was there. Whitmer underthrew. On that route, you have to put it in the corner where either your guy or NO guy is going to catch it. I'm sure Chandler would tell you the same thing. It's a difficult throw, but a throw that needs the error to be on the far side, not the short side. Unfortunately, Whitmer threw short...

I'm not so sure he could have thrown that any different, that is one of the hardest throws in all of football. Good old Pythagoras. He's standing on one hash, and throwing deep out to the opposite numbers. If he lofts it, it's in the air forever, and that space that Foxx has, closes down real quick. That throw needs to be on a rope. The Cornerback, left his assignment, and guessed right, and made the play. That's all that happened. KGun is correct, I think, in that the flaw is that we came back out in the exact same formation. On the sideline, the temple coaches had to have been going over the possible routes and coverages to look for. That opening, for Foxx, was probably there, all week in practice and they probably completed it in practice.

Sometimes, it just comes down, to players on the field, making a judgement call, that gets them out of what they're supposed to be doing, and they make a play.

A play design that would keep that area of the field open, would have the outside receiver running an underneath draw, coming in from the sideline, to draw that cornerback away from being able to make that drop into that space.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In reviewing the plays in this game, this one bothered me as well. Foxx is open, but even in shotgun, the OL gives CW maybe 3 seconds to throw and he was knocked/pulled down about the same time he threw the ball.

The reason it bothered me is Davis is right near the stick in 2 seconds with room. A short pass would yield a 1st down and maybe some YAC as well. I think with our ongoing pass blocking issues we need more of these shorter passes dialed up when they are available.

Yeah ... I think getting hit affected the flight of the ball. He underthrew it ... but his arm was knocked.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm not so sure he could have thrown that any different, that is one of the hardest throws in all of football. Good old Pythagoras. He's standing on one hash, and throwing deep out to the opposite numbers. If he lofts it, it's in the air forever, and that space that Foxx has, closes down real quick. That throw needs to be on a rope. The Cornerback, left his assignment, and guessed right, and made the play. That's all that happened. KGun is correct, I think, in that the flaw is that we came back out in the exact same formation. On the sideline, the temple coaches had to have been going over the possible routes and coverages to look for. That opening, for Foxx, was probably there, all week in practice and they probably completed it in practice.

Sometimes, it just comes down, to players on the field, making a judgement call, that gets them out of what they're supposed to be doing, and they make a play.

A play design that would keep that area of the field open, would have the outside receiver running an underneath draw, coming in from the sideline, to draw that cornerback away from being able to make that drop into that space.

No doubt about the fact that it's a difficult throw, but it's about 30 yards or so (as the crow flies). Which means that he has to throw it 33 yards, and not 27 yards. 33 yards is on the edge of the playing field where only your player can catch it. 27 yards is a pick-6. Chandler has it in his ability to make that throw, and he's demonstrated that on the field. He just didn't make this one...

EDIT: I have to see the replay if his arm was knocked as Pudge is claiming. If so, then that explains the rest...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom