Thanks Dooley. A good guy and a great fan. | The Boneyard

Thanks Dooley. A good guy and a great fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hi Guys,

I'm a long time lurker, occasional poster and big husky fan. I know the spirits are pretty low right now in Husky Nation, but I did want to share a great story - in my opinion. A few days ago, people on the board were lamenting the fact that we were several thousand tickets short of a sellout. Around that time, Dooley posted in a thread that he would give away two extra tickets to the next person who contacted him. When I reached out, he said that he gave those tickets away, but he told me that he would purchase two tickets for me and a buddy. We were in our seats before kickoff, and we screamed our heads off until the last whistle. It may not have seemed like a big deal to Dooley (I don't want to speak for him), but it was a huge deal to me and my buddy. Being on the younger side of the demographic scale here, my disposable income, or lack of, doesn't allow for me to go many games. Dooley #husky(ied)up, and my buddy and I couldn't be more grateful. At this point, the team may not be great, but our fans are.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Hi Guys,

I'm a long time lurker, occasional poster and big husky fan. I know the spirits are pretty low right now in Husky Nation, but I did want to share a great story - in my opinion. A few days ago, people on the board were lamenting the fact that we were several thousand tickets short of a sellout. Around that time, Dooley posted in a thread that he would give away two extra tickets to the next person who contacted him. When I reached out, he said that he gave those tickets away, but he told me that he would purchase two tickets for me and a buddy. We were in our seats before kickoff, and we screamed our heads off until the last whistle. It may not have seemed like a big deal to Dooley (I don't want to speak for him), but it was a huge deal to me and my buddy. Being on the younger side of the demographic scale here, my disposable income, or lack of, doesn't allow for me to go many games. Dooley #husky(ied)up, and my buddy and I couldn't be more grateful. At this point, the team may not be great, but our fans are.

"Dooley is da man" bump!

Very cool story, and thanks for sharing that...

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Hi Guys,

Hit the nail on the head right there

Reaction Score
This seems like a very easy thing to do.

We should target young (and paycheck challenged) NEWBIES for tickets. I bet building the Fanbase one ducket at a time will make us all feel better.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Not to take anything away from Dooley, but I also need to give credit where it's due. Last year, Boatshow and I received season tickets courtesy of J187Money and FfldCntyFan. I hope to pay the generosity forward in a few years when I'm a little better off. Until then, it's Top-of-the-Rent for me. Can't wait to be back in less than a month!!!

Reaction Score
mikedog10 said:
Not to take anything away from Dooley, but I also need to give credit where it's due. Last year, Boatshow and I received season tickets courtesy of J187Money and FfldCntyFan. I hope to pay the generosity forward in a few years when I'm a little better off. Until then, it's Top-of-the-Rent for me. Can't wait to be back in less than a month!!!

This year I'm sponsoring Butch for two. Pay it forward!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
At the moment I have eight seats and only two (including myself) guaranteed attendees. I will pledge two seats (if at any point I don't have two available I will purchase them myself from scalpers to honor this pledge) to each game to a fiscally challenged boneyarder (there may well be games where I will be able to pledge more). All he or she needs to do is pm me far enough in advance that no other boneyarder beat them to it (again if I have more than two available there can be more than one successful pm). The one caveat I have is that you will need to pick the tickets up at my tailgate (trust me, I'll be easy to find as I will be the only one flying eight (yes eight) flags. You can even get a beer and some food while you are there.

Reaction Score
Sort of off-topic, but has there ever been a Boneyard census? Obviously would be voluntary, but I would be interested in seeing how many active students we have on the board versus alums and general UConn fans.

Reaction Score
Sort of off-topic, but has there ever been a Boneyard census? Obviously would be voluntary, but I would be interested in seeing how many active students we have on the board versus alums and general UConn fans.

I think there are a few grumpy grandpas too!

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Pretty awesome thing you guys are doing. I don't know about you fellas on here, but I'm having a really tough time getting my buddies to come out to this game on 9/3. The team being so weak the last few year, combined with a Thursday night (with getting out of work a little early to tailgate, and then having work the next day), a FCS school in 'Nova that no one really cares about, and the fact that its the unoffcial start to Labor Day weekend- this game is a tough one to get interest in. Sucks, because I'm so pumped for this season. I'll be there, screaming my off regardless though! GO HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
Pretty awesome thing you guys are doing. I don't know about you fellas on here, but I'm having a really tough time getting my buddies to come out to this game on 9/3. The team being so weak the last few year, combined with a Thursday night (with getting out of work a little early to tailgate, and then having work the next day), a FCS school in 'Nova that no one really cares about, and the fact that its the unoffcial start to Labor Day weekend- this game is a tough one to get interest in. Sucks, because I'm so pumped for this season. I'll be there, screaming my off regardless though! GO HUSKIES!

Sadly, I think much of our fan base (or our four fan bases, as was discussed in another thread) might be more excited to play Villanova, just because it's Villanova, rather than half of the AAC.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Jayzus guys, I had NO idea that this thread ever existed. This is my first time seeing any of this!

Thank you all the kind words. But there are several other 'Yarders who have done exactly what I have or MORE.

Paying it forward, my friends. We are all bleeding blue together.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
There's been informal surveys for age posted every now and again but I don't think anything as elaborate as you're talking about. I would be interested too.

Reaction Score
At the moment I have eight seats and only two (including myself) guaranteed attendees. I will pledge two seats (if at any point I don't have two available I will purchase them myself from scalpers to honor this pledge) to each game to a fiscally challenged boneyarder (there may well be games where I will be able to pledge more). All he or she needs to do is pm me far enough in advance that no other boneyarder beat them to it (again if I have more than two available there can be more than one successful pm). The one caveat I have is that you will need to pick the tickets up at my tailgate (trust me, I'll be easy to find as I will be the only one flying eight (yes eight) flags. You can even get a beer and some food while you are there.

I'll do the same. Two tix per game for the first person to PM me.

Dibs for game 1 starts tonight.

Dibs to game 2 will go to the first person to PM me after game 1 ends. And so on and so forth.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One thing I want to clarify as the question has been asked in PM's I've received:

I am giving away the tickets I pledged, I am not selling them and I expect nothing in return other than the effort to make it to the game and be a good fan of the school and the program during the game.

The purpose of this is to make it easier for fans who may not be in position to spend money on the tickets to attend games and hopefully in the near future they can add season tickets to their budgets. If you have the means and feel compelled to pay, please do so through the ticket office and leave these seats to someone in a more difficult financial position. Hopefully everyone who takes advantage of what many of us are offering will be able to do something similar down the road for future fans who are currently in grade school.

On the caveat that you need to pick the tickets up at my tailgate. A few times in the past I mailed tickets to people (on this board and another UConn board) who decided not to bother using them. If the tickets are going to be wasted anyway I may as well hold onto them and if you are going to attend you will be in the vicinity anyway. I always have more food and beverages that necessary (I grew up in an Italian home) so I will be more than willing to share.

I still believe this (cultivating a fan base) is something Hathaway should have made a priority a dozen years ago. When he saw the sellout for Indiana he should have said "If we can sell out 40k today, we'll be able to pack a 65k seat stadium in 15 years and an 80k seat stadium in 30 years". For the record, the 15 year time frame is now only three years away, which demonstrates how much was wasted due to indifference on the part of the school's leadership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom