Texas negotiating with ACC and other claims | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Texas negotiating with ACC and other claims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If the ACC whore's themselves out to UT & lets them keep the LHN like they did with Notre Dame & their NBC deal, it's not that far fetched.

The problem with that is then all hell breaks loose with the B12. If UT can get out from under the GOR then Oklahoma & Kansas (provided they can get away from their little brothers OK St & Kansas St) are in the B1G within days. Even though Oklahoma is not AAU, they are a national brand & it would appease the western B1G schools who are not happy about playing Ohio St, Michigan & Penn St less after the last expansion. If Iowa, Nebraska & the other western B1G schools know they will get Oklahoma in their stadium every other year they would likely look the other way on the AAU issue

That leaves the rest of the B12 scrambling to add whatever they can to stay at the P5 table They would clearly be the weakest of the P5 but may be able to stay at the table.

The question then becomes if they are going to add 3 schools to replace the ones that left is UConn one of those 3 schools or do BYU, Cinci & UCF go ahead of UConn?

Being a member of the B12 in that configuration is not the best situation but it is still better than the current dumpster fire we are in

If Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas leave, the Big 12 will add more than three teams to replace them. As the Big 12's most valuable properties, they had the most to lose by adding new schools. If they left, I think you'd see at least 5 new schools added, and I'd be shocked if UConn weren't one of them.

Reaction Score
It seems all this leaves us back where we start, some remaining aac/big 12 conference configuration.

Reaction Score
Negotiations
ACC: We'd like you to join the ACC.
Texas: No.

Texas: If things blow up here, can we find a home in the ACC

ACC: Maybe. But you need to bring the Aggies with you to make it work. Need 16, and really, two in Texas to make it worth going out there.

Texas: Argggh! We'd rather drill holes in our molars.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Texas: If things blow up here, can we find a home in the ACC

ACC: Maybe. But you need to bring the Aggies with you to make it work. Need 16, and really, two in Texas to make it worth going out there.

Texas: Argggh! We'd rather drill holes in our molars.

LOL at the conference that invited BC turning down Texas.

Reaction Score
Texas was never serious about changing conferences except maybe, just maybe, with the PAC 12. There has never been any documentation of even a serious discussion about CR with the ACC.

Personally, I don't think the ACC belongs in the northeast nor southwest.....

Reaction Score
Texas was never serious about changing conferences except maybe, just maybe, with the PAC 12. There has never been any documentation of even a serious discussion about CR with the ACC.

Personally, I don't think the ACC belongs in the northeast nor southwest.....
You've got your wish ,they have no real presence in either location.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
No...I do not have my wish...Cuse and BC are on the FSU schedule.

Re presence...,in terms of national presence FSU was in four of the top eight most watched games of 2014. So the program has its "presence"....but playing BC and Cuse every year does nothing...

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...watched-college-football-games-of-2014-121114

attachment.jpg

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I don't know why Texas would ever want in the ACC unless they wanted a Notre Dame type deal to take advantage of the ACC schools.

If Texas wanted to expand it's brand nationally, the B1G is the obvious choice. However, I don't believe Texas ever wants to be an equal partner with anyone else, so I think Texas would not be a good fit. They have never shown any indication of wanting to be an equal partner with the Big 12 or the SWC prior to that. Many of the teams that have left in realignment have been teams wanting to get away from the power Texas holds over them. First, it was Arkansas in the SWC. Then Colorado, Nebraska, Texas A&M and Missouri in the Big 12. Not a very good track record for equality in membership!

The Dallas Cowboys became "America's Team" by playing in the NFC East with the New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles and Washington Redskins. What else do those cities have in common? They are all in the B1G footprint and receive the Big Ten Network. If Texas wanted to expand it's branding nationwide, the Big Ten is the only conference that could offer that influence. But if Texas can't play nice in the sandbox, I don't think they would be a good fit for the B1G.

Reaction Score
I don't know why Texas would ever want in the ACC unless they wanted a Notre Dame type deal to take advantage of the ACC schools.

If Texas wanted to expand it's brand nationally, the B1G is the obvious choice. However, I don't believe Texas ever wants to be an equal partner with anyone else, so I think Texas would not be a good fit. They have never shown any indication of wanting to be an equal partner with the Big 12 or the SWC prior to that. Many of the teams that have left in realignment have been teams wanting to get away from the power Texas holds over them. First, it was Arkansas in the SWC. Then Colorado, Nebraska, Texas A&M and Missouri in the Big 12. Not a very good track record for equality in membership!

The Dallas Cowboys became "America's Team" by playing in the NFC East with the New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles and Washington Redskins. What else do those cities have in common? They are all in the B1G footprint and receive the Big Ten Network. If Texas wanted to expand it's branding nationwide, the Big Ten is the only conference that could offer that influence. But if Texas can't play nice in the sandbox, I don't think they would be a good fit for the B1G.
The Northeast is still up for grabs. How anyone does not see UConn as the holy grail to capture that is a total head scratcher to me.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Northeast is still up for grabs. How anyone does not see UConn as the holy grail to capture that is a total head scratcher to me.

There is opposition to us in the ACC from BCU and, I suspect Syracuse and perhaps even Pitt as we hurt their further recruiting and further diminish their value if we are in conference. FSU, rightfully, doesn't see us as enhancing their path to a football natty. Without an ACC network that we can enhance by bringing viewers, ratings and advertisers, we are just another mouth to feed.

We aren't a perfect fit in the B1G without AAU, so there might be presidential resistance to us currently. There is already some push back against the loss of traditional rivalries in the B1G, so it is tough to make a case for us unless we can be shown to increase the pie. I believe that we can, and that B1G is aware of it, but without another suitor, there is no urgency.

We are a horrific fit in the Big 12 and they lack a network so they can't take advantage of the benefits that we'd bring in viewers, rating and advertisers.

ESPN already has the rights to our games very inexpensively. Our presence makes otherwise unwatchable teams have viewers. There is no immediate benefit to them to increasing the ACC payout to take us at this time.

That's how I see it anyway. Things could change, and change rapidly, but right now we are in purgatory.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is opposition to us in the ACC from BCU and, I suspect Syracuse and perhaps even Pitt as we hurt their further recruiting and further diminish their value if we are in conference. FSU, rightfully, doesn't see us as enhancing their path to a football natty. Without an ACC network that we can enhance by bringing viewers, ratings and advertisers, we are just another mouth to feed.

We aren't a perfect fit in the B1G without AAU, so their might be presidential resistance to us currently. There is already some push back against the loss of traditional rivalries in the B1G, so it is tough to make a case for us unless we can be shown to increase the pie. I believe that we can, and that B1G is aware of it, but without another suitor, there is no urgency.

We are a horrific fit in the Big 12 and they lack a network so they can't take advantage of the benefits that we'd bring in viewers, rating and advertisers.

ESPN already has the rights to our games very inexpensively. Our presence makes otherwise unwatchable teams have viewers. There is no immediate benefit to them to increasing the ACC payout to take us at this time.

That's how I see it anyway. Things could change, and change rapidly, but right now we are in purgatory.
I agree with much of what you say. I still think one could argue that our inclusion in the ACC adds value to all three of BC, SU, and Pitt. Everyone is looking to recruit more outside of the northeast anyway. Adding another school in the region benefits all in the region, especially for students and fans.

CL82

Reaction Score
I agree with much of what you say. I still think one could argue that our inclusion in the ACC adds value to all three of BC, SU, and Pitt. Everyone is looking to recruit more outside of the northeast anyway. Adding another school in the region benefits all in the region, especially for students and fans.
I don't disagree, but I don't think that they view it that way.

Reaction Score

We aren't a perfect fit in the B1G without AAU, so there might be presidential resistance to us currently. There is already some push back against the loss of traditional rivalries in the B1G, so it is tough to make a case for us unless we can be shown to increase the pie. I believe that we can, and that B1G is aware of it, but without another suitor, there is no urgency.

In building a network, a brand, a league you have to be proactive not retroactive in how you think. Your opinions, as accurate as they might currently be, suggest nothing on how the landscape will look going forward. The inclusion of UConn won't add much today but adds a ton of value going forward. For anyone to be stubborn enough to add UConn simply when it makes sense immediately will have missed the boat a million, or 30 million, ways.

CL82

Reaction Score
In building a network, a brand, a league you have to be proactive not retroactive in how you think. Your opinions, as accurate as they might currently be, suggest nothing on how the landscape will look going forward. The inclusion of UConn won't add much today but adds a ton of value going forward. For anyone to be stubborn enough to add UConn simply when it makes sense immediately will have missed the boat a million, or 30 million, ways.
You are preaching to choir , so yeah, I agree. But you basically asked what were the factors that were holding us back. Those are the biggest ones that I see.

BTW, I think only the B1G has that "proactive" world view. The Big 12,. and especially the ACC, are reactive. That's why the B1G is stable and the other two are vulnerable.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree, but I don't think that they view it that way.

UConn would fit well with the ACC's recent good record in some sports (the best that I can remember). Add UConn M&W's basketball....and soccer....and baseball. That would be a conference to contend with.

If we start watching more soccer and lacrosse (I have been glued to Women's World Cup), it may become viable fodder for network schedules.

ACC 2013-14 and 2014-15

National Champs

Virginia...2015 baseball
Duke........2015 Men's basketball
FSU..........2013 football

Men's soccer...2014 Virginia
Women's soccer....2014 FSU
Men's Lacrosse.....2014 Duke

Reaction Score
If the ACC whore's themselves out to UT & lets them keep the LHN like they did with Notre Dame & their NBC deal, it's not that far fetched.

The problem with that is then all hell breaks loose with the B12. If UT can get out from under the GOR then Oklahoma & Kansas (provided they can get away from their little brothers OK St & Kansas St) are in the B1G within days. Even though Oklahoma is not AAU, they are a national brand & it would appease the western B1G schools who are not happy about playing Ohio St, Michigan & Penn St less after the last expansion. If Iowa, Nebraska & the other western B1G schools know they will get Oklahoma in their stadium every other year they would likely look the other way on the AAU issue

That leaves the rest of the B12 scrambling to add whatever they can to stay at the P5 table They would clearly be the weakest of the P5 but may be able to stay at the table.

The question then becomes if they are going to add 3 schools to replace the ones that left is UConn one of those 3 schools or do BYU, Cinci & UCF go ahead of UConn?

Being a member of the B12 in that configuration is not the best situation but it is still better than the current dumpster fire we are in
that's probably when you'll start to hear the term P4 instead of P5...
It's not about basketball or football. It's about money. And if the powers that be can whittle away the Big East, they'll kill off the non-value add programs in the Big 12 as well. It's like watching hyenas stalk a wounded calf or sharks sensing blood in the waters. The left-over programs would be on their own, similar to when they reached out to the Big East for a potential landing spot...

CL82

Reaction Score
UConn would fit well with the ACC's recent good record in some sports (the best that I can remember). Add UConn M&W's basketball....and soccer....and baseball. That would be a conference to contend with.

If we start watching more soccer and lacrosse (I have been glued to Women's World Cup), it may become viable fodder for network schedules.

ACC 2013-14 and 2014-15

National Champs

Virginia...2015 baseball
Duke...2015 Men's basketball
FSU.....2013 football

Men's soccer...2014 Virginia
Women's soccer....2014 FSU
Men's Lacrosse.....2014 Duke
UConn would fit well in the ACC. The B1G is my preference since it is more stable. I also think as time passes UConn will more in common with the majority of B1G schools (large land grant institutions) than the private schools that make up a big chunk of the ACC. For what it is worth, the Big 12 is a terrible fit.

That said we'll go with the first invite.

Reaction Score
buddy said:
11. UConn AD in the VI watching women's basketball while Louisville's AD was actively lobbying the ACC for inclusion.

And there it is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69