Texas negotiating with ACC and other claims | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Texas negotiating with ACC and other claims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For my own background, what is the consensus among UConn fans on why UConn got left behind the the most recent conference shuffle? Thanks in advance.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
For my own background, what is the consensus among UConn fans on why UConn got left behind the the most recent conference shuffle? Thanks in advance.

Depends on who you ask. Here are just a few popular theories:

1. Too late to get football program started;
2. Pitt/UConn lawsuit vs BC/Miami/VT/ACC filed in Connecticut under the misguided judgment of former CT AG Richard "Tricky Dick" Blumenthal;
3. ESPiN;
4. BC lobbying hard against UConn to protect "turf";
5. Basketball APR postseason ban;
6. Doubts that UConn hoops could continue to thrive after Calhoun/APR;
7. Non-AAU school;
8. UConn's former AD Jeff Hathaway hired Paul Pasqualoni (thus showing an apathy towards football program);
9. Bad Timing - our football program going down with Pasqualoni as Louisville football program trended upward under Charlie Strong;
10. Embarrassingly small endowment in comparison with other larger public state schools.

Reaction Score
If you recall, one of the first rumors about ACC expansion back in 2011 was Texas, UConn, Syracuse and Notre Dame. They got about 1.6 of that.

If you recall, the first rumors about Big Ten expansion in 2010 was that Jim Delany had targeted Texas and ND. They got 0 of that.

CR has several swings and misses like that, such as FSU and Clemson to the Big 12.

Reaction Score
While I am an ACC fan the type of delusional postings like that from the yahoo quoted by the OP is very annoying. Some of it is resentment lingering from when Maryland left but some also frustration with how the conference is run. Notice how the majority of Hokie fans aren't buying what he was selling. And the Cavs fan there should be more concerned about how the fake rape scandal is hurting his university's reputation.

Also, if Texas leaves it would be as a part of the breakup and dispersal of the Big 12 programs into the other 4 power conferences. That's the only way UT leaves before the Grant of Rights ends.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
If my boy Swoffie's delusions extended to a Texas and a Michigan, what in the world prompted him to snag a Syracuse and a Pitt?

They were Jenga pieces that he pulled to get the Big East to collapse. Mission accomplished...

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
If you recall, the first rumors about Big Ten expansion in 2010 was that Jim Delany had targeted Texas and ND. They got 0 of that.

CR has several swings and misses like that, such as FSU and Clemson to the Big 12.
Yes I recall the Texas and B1G talks in 2010 which were more than rumor -- they had a "Tech" problem.

Reaction Score
Depends on who you ask. Here are just a few popular theories:

1. Too late to get football program started;
2. Pitt/UConn lawsuit vs BC/Miami/VT/ACC filed in Connecticut under the misguided judgment of former CT AG Richard "Tricky Dick" Blumenthal;
3. ESPiN;
4. BC lobbying hard against UConn to protect "turf";
5. Basketball APR postseason ban;
6. Doubts that UConn hoops could continue to thrive after Calhoun/APR;
7. Non-AAU school;
8. UConn's former AD Jeff Hathaway hired Paul Pasqualoni (thus showing an apathy towards football program);
9. Bad Timing - our football program going down with Pasqualoni as Louisville football program trended upward under Charlie Strong;
10.Embarrassingly small endowment in comparison with other larger public state schools.
11. UConn AD in the VI watching women's basketball while Louisville's AD was actively lobbying the ACC for inclusion.

Reaction Score
Yes I recall the Texas and B1G talks in 2010 which were more than rumor -- they had a "Tech" problem.

If Texas, Kansas, and Oklahoma were snatched-up by some combo of the ACC, B1G, and SEC, I still think that the PAC would be interested in Texas tech, K State, and OK state simply because their options are somewhat limited. BYU will go to the PACI f they can just get over some of the schedule issues (religion) and I think SD State is an option along with UNLV (new, untapped market). Maybe Colorado St? Boise St to me is a one trick pony (football) in a very small market (#111,which is ahead of Springfield MA but behind Portland ME & Burlington VT) with below average academics.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
If Texas, Kansas, and Oklahoma were snatched-up by some combo of the ACC, B1G, and SEC, I still think that the PAC would be interested in Texas tech, K State, and OK state simply because their options are somewhat limited. BYU will go to the PACI f they can just get over some of the schedule issues (religion) and I think SD State is an option along with UNLV (new, untapped market). Maybe Colorado St? Boise St to me is a one trick pony (football) in a very small market (#111,which is ahead of Springfield MA but behind Portland ME & Burlington VT) with below average academics.
They took Colorado and Utah so I would not put past the PAC to take the lesser Texas and OK schools. KState is prob a stretch. Now they could have had Texas, TT, Oklahoma and OSU in 2011 and passed. I could only assume that it was due to LHN that there was no deal. If that happened, we would likely not be sitting in the AAC. Either some Big East/Big 12 hybrid or picked up by the ACC.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
They took Colorado and Utah so I would not put past the PAC to take the lesser Texas and OK schools. KState is prob a stretch. Now they could have had Texas, TT, Oklahoma and OSU in 2011 and passed. I could only assume that it was due to LHN that there was no deal. If that happened, we would likely not be sitting in the AAC. Either some Big East/Big 12 hybrid or picked up by the ACC.
Colorado has major television market and Utah had Orrin Hatch. The schools you mentioned have neither. There is no way on earth any of those would ever be a possibility for the PAC12

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

2) When Maryland left the ACC conference, one of their legal defenses was that the ACC was attempting to create a Monopoly by expanding. That expansion was to include Louisville, Penn State, Northwestern, ND (Full time) and Michigan.

I would've loved to be in whatever room this ACC expansion discussion took place. How do you come of with a list of CR expansion targets that has both Northwestern and Louisville? There's no Venn diagram where those two schools have a common area. It's like saying they want both Stephen Hawking and Carrot Top.

Reaction Score
If you recall, the first rumors about Big Ten expansion in 2010 was that Jim Delany had targeted Texas and ND. They got 0 of that..

Terry, I think this is a circular causation paradox. You're referring back to your posts from 2010, and making it real in the present. :rolleyes:

Your Jedi tricks won't work here.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Colorado has major television market and Utah had Orrin Hatch. The schools you mentioned have neither. There is no way on earth any of those would ever be a possibility for the PAC12
First of all, I was responding to someone who mentioned them. And yes, if they needed to add they are tolerable.

Texas Tech may be only the 3rd largest program in Texas but still brings more fans than Colorado and Utah combined, all the while being in a very large state with many top TV markets. Oklahoma State is also nearly as a good of an add as Colorado (with twice as many fans, more succesful programs, but smaller TV market) and much better than Utah. If you are comparing these options vs. Boise state, SDSU or UNLV they are much better candidates.

And let it now be fact that Orrin Hatch is why the PAC chose Utah. Political posturing is clearly what leads PAC business decisions.

Lastly, I'm not here to defend or support TT or OSU to the PAC. I don't think the PAC takes either of them alone without their bigger brothers.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So what do we see here.

WVU fan: The Big XII is in great shape. Doesn't need to expand. Won't expand unless it wants to. Getting its own network (Netflix) and will make loads of money. It's the ACC that is falling apart.

VT fan: The ACC is getting a great network, everyone wants in the ACC, even Texas, Penn State and Michigan. Yes, the ACC is the place to be, and the Big XII is dead.

If rule #1 of CR is that UConn gets kicked in the nuts, then rule #2 is that if you are a fan of any particular team, your opinion and information is invalid, biased garbage.

Reaction Score
I would've loved to be in whatever room this ACC expansion discussion took place. How do you come of with a list of CR expansion targets that has both Northwestern and Louisville? There's no Venn diagram where those two schools have a common area. It's like saying they want both Stephen Hawking and Carrot Top.

Kind of like Duke, Virginia and Louisville..

Obviously, you are ignoring the basic laws of attraction or are ignorant of Stephen Hawking's personal preferences..

His wife:

http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/ne...-wife-elaine-mason-arrive-news-photo/51872328

Carrot Top and Hawkings? Naw..no way do they fit together.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
storrsroars said:
I would've loved to be in whatever room this ACC expansion discussion took place. How do you come of with a list of CR expansion targets that has both Northwestern and Louisville? There's no Venn diagram where those two schools have a common area.

Mmm, members of the ACC?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And Hawkings apparently did marry Carrot Top.

So, in the alternate universe of reality...the only Venn overlapping symbol that matters is....$$$$$$$$

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Obviously, you are ignoring the basic laws of attraction or are ignorant of Stephen Hawking's personal preferences..

His wife:

http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/ne...-wife-elaine-mason-arrive-news-photo/51872328

Carrot Top and Hawkings? Naw..no way do they fit together.

Holy hell. I did not know that prior to my post (I was originally going to use Curly Howard, but I thought he was too good for a Louisville comparison). That's pretty creepy in context.

Reaction Score
Lol if Texas and ND went to the ACC that's just another huge kick in the balls for us. All it would do is open up a spot in the Big 12, which I can't see them giving to UConn. And then any ACC pipe dream that we had is dashed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol if Texas and ND went to the ACC that's just another huge kick in the balls for us. All it would do is open up a spot in the Big 12, which I can't see them giving to UConn. And then any ACC pipe dream that we had is dashed.
I'm not so sure. Texas leaves a pretty big hole and without the LHN, the Big 12 would likely look to establish its own network. At that point UConn might be pretty compelling.

Regardless Texas isn't going to the ACC.

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure. Texas leaves a pretty big hole and without the LHN, the Big 12 would likely look to establish its own network. At that point UConn might be pretty compelling.

Regardless Texas isn't going to the ACC.

If the ACC whore's themselves out to UT & lets them keep the LHN like they did with Notre Dame & their NBC deal, it's not that far fetched.

The problem with that is then all hell breaks loose with the B12. If UT can get out from under the GOR then Oklahoma & Kansas (provided they can get away from their little brothers OK St & Kansas St) are in the B1G within days. Even though Oklahoma is not AAU, they are a national brand & it would appease the western B1G schools who are not happy about playing Ohio St, Michigan & Penn St less after the last expansion. If Iowa, Nebraska & the other western B1G schools know they will get Oklahoma in their stadium every other year they would likely look the other way on the AAU issue

That leaves the rest of the B12 scrambling to add whatever they can to stay at the P5 table They would clearly be the weakest of the P5 but may be able to stay at the table.

The question then becomes if they are going to add 3 schools to replace the ones that left is UConn one of those 3 schools or do BYU, Cinci & UCF go ahead of UConn?

Being a member of the B12 in that configuration is not the best situation but it is still better than the current dumpster fire we are in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom