Texas athletic stipend .... $10,000. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Texas athletic stipend .... $10,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well one thing is for sure - this will hasten Geno's departure from UCONN. I always thought he would stay with it as long as he felt passionate about it, was able to recruit great kids, and that recruiting was fair, even if it changed over time (ie. recruiting kids younger than junior year). But if Universities have to start paying kids and the recruits start saying "well Texas is giving me $25,000 additional per year - can you match that", I think Geno says goodbye.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
10K is not a great stipend. If a student gets a tuition scholarship, then they need about 15K additional money to live on per year. 10K won't even cover room and board. I'm sure many schools offer this much already to top athletes. Students who are very academically talented routinely get that kind of scholarship money too in some places.

Reaction Score
I have a question- will this stipend be considered taxable income? If so the student will have to pay the taxes. I wonder if anyone has thought this all the way through....

Reaction Score
10K is not a great stipend. If a student gets a tuition scholarship, then they need about 15K additional money to live on per year. 10K won't even cover room and board. I'm sure many schools offer this much already to top athletes. Students who are very academically talented routinely get that kind of scholarship money too in some places.

an athletic scholarship includes room, board, and books. In the good old days it included $15. a month for laundry.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Texas's $10k is addition to room & board for their full-ride athletes. And for tuition-only scholarships it's $10K more than they're getting now. I don't know how many schools have the extra $6m to match this.

Reaction Score
Well one thing is for sure - this will hasten Geno's departure from UCONN. I always thought he would stay with it as long as he felt passionate about it, was able to recruit great kids, and that recruiting was fair, even if it changed over time (ie. recruiting kids younger than junior year). But if Universities have to start paying kids and the recruits start saying "well Texas is giving me $25,000 additional per year - can you match that", I think Geno says goodbye.
Geno will love coaching at Texas. Great place to live, very cosmopolitan and they love immigrants. Such great wine & dining, and they are just wild about short little Italian wise-asses down there.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A full scholarship = tuition, room, and board including per diem when on the road - the 10K is walking around money

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Geno will love coaching at Texas. Great place to live, very cosmopolitan and they love immigrants. Such great wine & dining, and they are just wild about short little Italian wise-asses down there.
Might have missed the point of the post, j66: I think eric is saying that Geno will just hang up his whistle, rather than flat-out "buy" or "bid" for prospective students. After all, it's not like he needs to cement his legacy, build his IRA, or wait too many years to be eligible for retirement.

Reaction Score
Thanks. I got that. But Texas has a reputation of being as financially generous when luring coaches as they are when luring athletes

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I don't think we need to worry yet. It may happen only if they lose the Ed O’Bannon ruling.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
It could all backfire. What if nobody wants to play against UT's stacked deck? That could kill the cash cow and bring them back in line in a hurry. Yeah, I know. It was just a thought.

Reaction Score
I have a question- will this stipend be considered taxable income? If so the student will have to pay the taxes. I wonder if anyone has thought this all the way through....

It should be grossed up so that the athletes don't have to pay taxes.

Reaction Score
This won't be popular here, but I'm thinking actually a P5 concentration of elite talent might might be good for WCBB - not good for UCONN tho. There just isn't enough legit talent right now to support 300+ teams. Personally I find games featuring other than the very top teams to be practically unwatchable. Concentrating all the elite talent (including coaching) on 50-60 teams might make for a more interesting sport, and maybe more appealing to the mainstream sports fan.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
If this program goes into place, you will see non-revenue-producing sports dropped left and right. Many Universities would drop Women's Basketball. It will really make a farce out of the whole idea of a Student-Athlete and the pay-for-play sports will essentially become just another professional league.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This won't be popular here, but I'm thinking actually a P5 concentration of elite talent might might be good for WCBB - not good for UCONN tho. There just isn't enough legit talent right now to support 300+ teams. Personally I find games featuring other than the very top teams to be practically unwatchable. Concentrating all the elite talent (including coaching) on 50-60 teams might make for a more interesting sport, and maybe more appealing to the mainstream sports fan.
I think it is already rather concentrated and that is an issue in parity.

Reaction Score
If this program goes into place, you will see non-revenue-producing sports dropped left and right. Many Universities would drop Women's Basketball. It will really make a farce out of the whole idea of a Student-Athlete and the pay-for-play sports will essentially become just another professional league.

Wouldn't that be a violation of Title IX though? Especially if that school retains its mbb program.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't that be a violation of Title IX though? Especially if that school retains its mbb program.
I think the way around that is you just make them employees, which once you start paying them a stipend they basically are.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
To be clear... this is not ALL athletes... just football (and maybe men's basketball), at least in Texas.
I don't think that is correct. There is no way to get to their projected figure of $6MN counting just football and mbb.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Title IX means WCBB and many other sports on the women's side will survive - the likely initial casualties will be men's non-revenue sports and the lesser women's sports - following on what has already happened during the rebalancing that title IX required.
To be clear... this is not ALL athletes... just football (and maybe men's basketball), at least in Texas.
That would mean 85-100 male athletic stipends ... I think they would have to offset that expenditure either by removing an equivalent dollar amount from other male scholarship/stipend expenses or by adding an equivalent amount on the women's side. Not exactly sure on that as I don't know the complete details of the legislation.

Reaction Score

you may want to read the link, Texas is budgeting $6 million dollars. Does Texas have 600 members of the football, and maybe men's basketball teams ?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
you may want to read the link, Texas is budgeting $6 million dollars. Does Texas have 600 members of the football, and maybe men's basketball teams ?

In 2013, UT had about 525 participating student athletes for all sports, so with that budget, pay for everyone rings true.

Alternatively, UT could be budgeting a 'war chest', in anticipation of extra curricular benefits increasing in an arms race scenario.

Reaction Score
In 2013, UT had about 525 participating student athletes for all sports, so with that budget, pay for everyone rings true.

Alternatively, UT could be budgeting a 'war chest', in anticipation of extra curricular benefits increasing in an arms race scenario.

That sounds right- 525 athletes @ $10,000 per athlete is $ 5.25 million. Round it up to $ 6 million just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom