Texas AD: "The programs outside the P5 aren't pulling their weight." | The Boneyard

Texas AD: "The programs outside the P5 aren't pulling their weight."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"We are the ones making the money and carrying the liability. The others don't make any money. Nobody wants to watch them on TV. If they want to make it to the P5, they would have to invest more in their sports programs. Or they could simply step aside [and eliminate sports]"

This is a NY Times article titled "NCAA's vote on New Rules Creating New Divisions Among Conferences."

Don't know why I'm having difficulty with the link.

UConn has spent over $200m on facilities in the last decade, and it isn't finished yet.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Wow. I wish that came out before the P5 autonomy vote. It's pretty inflammatory statement. I'm not surprised that he thinks this. I am surprised that he'd say it.

Reaction Score
What a self-serving remark
There are G5 teams that spend more money
then many in the P5. Also many games more compelling than P5 doormats
Not to mention that network collusion with conferences have made resources available to these same yawner teams the G5 doesn't have.
We have to get that message out
Ridicule these preposterous lies for what they are ,propaganda to legitimize the the establishment of an monopoly.

Reaction Score
We can rant and rail against the TX AD all we want but I have been hearing much the same from other sources for some time. From a media rights standpoint the P5 partial independence just brings back a slightly larger CFA. The CFA gave the old line FB programs control of their rights away from the NCAA umbrella, and with that the chance to make and keep lots of bucks. Many old line programs have always wanted a return to a system that keeps what they consider "their money" to themselves. It has taken several decades but they now have the mechanism to do it again. They will throw enough crumbs to other conferences to try to keep them afloat but not much more. Most of us who have been negative on the AAC and out unfortunate position with good reason. This is just another kick in the B--ls.

Reaction Score
I'm sure the Big 12 feels the same way about Texas athletics.

Would not want to speculate on what the other schools in their conference think of TX, but I do know than some in the SEC office think that TX is much less important than it was just a few years ago. Call it SEC hubris if you like but they believe that A&M has passed the Longhorns in all major TX markets except Austin. Not by much, but they expect the gap to grow in A&M's favor. They to not believe that one big game per year (TX v OK) will be able to compete with A&M's SEC schedule.

Reaction Score
If he feels this way, he should say that anyone outside the top 10 (Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio St, Michigan, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Florida St, Florida, Stanford, notre dame, maybe a few others) aren't pulling their weight. How many schools have athletic departments like Texas? Maybe 5? What a pompous .

Reaction Score
We can rant and rail against the TX AD all we want but I have been hearing much the same from other sources for some time. From a media rights standpoint the P5 partial independence just brings back a slightly larger CFA. The CFA gave the old line FB programs control of their rights away from the NCAA umbrella, and with that the chance to make and keep lots of bucks. Many old line programs have always wanted a return to a system that keeps what they consider "their money" to themselves. It has taken several decades but they now have the mechanism to do it again. They will throw enough crumbs to other conferences to try to keep them afloat but not much more. Most of us who have been negative on the AAC and out unfortunate position with good reason. This is just another kick in the B--ls.

The Texas ADs hyperbole isn't reality. People do watch other teams on TV. Other teams have invested. So clearly he's overstating things.

The Georgetown AD had an excellent point recently. He wondered why the basketball tournament was the source of funding for all NCAA championships as well as rules enforcement and administration. He thought the football schools should be ponying up an amount equal to that required to police the football programs.

Reaction Score
He has a point of sorts....As I have posted before, it is a convenient fiction that we have 128 programs competing at the same level for the same prize and with the same national interest in their matches.

Having Ohio State, Texas, Michigan, USC, Notre Dame, LSU, Alabama etc in the same league with Texas State, Troy, Idaho, Wyoming, Eastern Michigan, et al....is a little like me playing in a golf tournament with Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy without a handicap.

Reaction Score
He has a point of sorts....As I have posted before, it is a convenient fiction that we have 128 programs competing at the same level for the same prize and with the same national interest in their matches.

Having Ohio State, Texas, Michigan, USC, Notre Dame, LSU, Alabama etc in the same league with Texas State, Troy, Idaho, Wyoming, Eastern Michigan, et al....is a little like me playing in a golf tournament with Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy without a handicap.

He has no point. He said no team, not a single one, has invested in facilities or has any fan interest. He couldn't be more wrong. And, you can beat Tiger Woods at golf? Boise St. And UCF have won BCS bowl games, BYU has, others have.

Reaction Score
The P5 might become the P4 if the Big 12 gets poached again. Texas was looking to get in the PAC 12 a few years ago, tough talk is cheap.

Reaction Score
He has no point. He said no team, not a single one, has invested in facilities or has any fan interest. He couldn't be more wrong. And, you can beat Tiger Woods at golf? Boise St. And UCF have won BCS bowl games, BYU has, others have.

UCF had a good year...but since 2000...they have lost 75% of the games they have played against ACC, Big 12, SEC, Big Ten, and PAc 12.

They have played 33 games against the MAC and are below .500 against them....

They have not been competitive.

I understand a team can change over time..but we haven't seen enough of UCF without Bortles to know....

And...I said without a handicap, I'd be very disadvantaged against Tiger...but give me 50 strokes on a bet and I may be able to stay with him.

The only way most of these teams would be competitive day in and out with the big boys would be to play against the spread...beating the spread would equal a "W".

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

This is true, of course.

Our perspective, however, with an athletic department hovering in the $70M range, $100M in on-campus practice facilities recently opened and several new fields/arenas in planning is that he can f--- himself silly.

Reaction Score
Fishy...sure...I don't think he was talking about any one school...only a generic finger pointing at the "have nots".

$70 million is a pretty healthy figure....Uconn's revenue was reported as $63 million in 2012-13...pretty decent. Would be ranked #55 in athletic revenue....about the same as GT, and more then Pitt and Wake.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Pulling weight? UCONN has pulled more weight than 25-35% of the grandfathered P5 schools. Maybe/probably more.

This dude can go suck off an armadillo.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

A couple of points:
  • Tiger and Rory don't play by themselves. Every player in the tournament is given an equal chance to win.
  • Tiger finished 117 in his last tourney and didn't make the cut in the prior. So if your point is that great players (teams) can fall off and be mediocre at best, well you've made it.
  • Give UConn an extra 15-35million per year in TV money and see what happens.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Fishy...sure...I don't think he was talking about any one school...only a generic finger pointing at the "have nots".

$70 million is a pretty healthy figure....Uconn's revenue was reported as $63 million in 2012-13...pretty decent. Would be ranked #55 in athletic revenue....about the same as GT, and more then Pitt and Wake.

That's the rub.

The haves can point over our heads at the have-nots, but the machinery set in motion will chew us up just the same. Texas Southern, for example, doesn't really have anything to lose in this whole kerfuffle, but the high-revenue/high-expense club outside of the P5 certainly does.

It's not a good spot.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
UCF had a good year...but since 2000...they have lost 75% of the games they have played against ACC, Big 12, SEC, Big Ten, and PAc 12.

They have played 33 games against the MAC and are below .500 against them....

They have not been competitive.

I understand a team can change over time..but we haven't seen enough of UCF without Bortles to know....

And...I said without a handicap, I'd be very disadvantaged against Tiger...but give me 50 strokes on a bet and I may be able to stay with him.

The only way most of these teams would be competitive day in and out with the big boys would be to play against the spread...beating the spread would equal a "W".
How often did UCF play on the road against those teams? Or any other "G5" you would use to make the comparison?

Reaction Score
The Texas ADs hyperbole isn't reality. People do watch other teams on TV. Other teams have invested. So clearly he's overstating things.

The Georgetown AD had an excellent point recently. He wondered why the basketball tournament was the source of funding for all NCAA championships as well as rules enforcement and administration. He thought the football schools should be ponying up an amount equal to that required to police the football programs.

There is no doubt that people watch other teams, just not as much. I have not verified it, but have no reason to doubt what my SEC friends (officials not fans) tell me. They tell me that there is no comparison between the FB TV ratings of P5 and the rest of Div 1. We can argue about the platforms that carry the broadcasts (ABC/ESPN v ESPNU/ESPN3) or the day of the week and time of day all we want but they get the better time slots on the bigger carriers. We can have all the chicken/egg discussions we want but that is not likely to change. As long as we are in the AAC we will be relegated to having most of our games on lesser platforms and/or days and times. It has not happened yet but look for this to be extended to MBB as well over the next two years.

As far as the GT AD's comments go he is just reflecting what the P5 want. They are more than willing to fund the policing required for FB as long the police work for them and enforce their rules.

I am not saying any of this is "fair", just reality of being in the AAC with our nose pressed against the window of the candy shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom