Texas A&M indefinitely suspends Courtney Williams & Shlonte Allen | The Boneyard

Texas A&M indefinitely suspends Courtney Williams & Shlonte Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I saw the news and thought it was USF's Courtney Williams....LOL

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Without them, aTm is in a dogfight with Missouri State. Not a good sign for aTm since I hardly think UCONN would have struggled against Robert Morris without Stewie.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I saw the news and thought it was USF's Courtney Williams....LOL

Me too. I was surprised. I thought a suspension would be out of character for her.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Texas A&M announced that it has indefinitely suspended second-leading scorer Courtney Williams and backup guard Shlonte Allen for a violation of undisclosed team rules prior to the team's opening round NCAA tournament game on Saturday.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...tely-suspends-courtney-williams-shlonte-allen

This is the second suspension for Williams and she is not helping her WNBA draft stock

And don't you think the GM's won't take note of this. In the NFL, the rule of thumb is "talent trumps character". I'm not so sure if this holds true in the WNBA. :oops:

Reaction Score
Hard enough to make a team in the WNBA without bringing any possible character issues into play. I have not seen her play a lot but was not impressed by her play in the summer tournament vs Canada but there was a strange dynamic on that team. I don't think a lot of the U.S. players did as well as they could have.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Without knowing what the infraction was, it's hard to assess what the proper penalty should be, but it' pretty easy to suspend one of your better players when your upcoming opponent has little chance of even keeping the game close. I'll be a little more impressed with Gary Blair if she sits against FSU.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
And don't you think the GM's won't take note of this. In the NFL, the rule of thumb is "talent trumps character":oops:
Wasn't that before Hernandez and Incognito and Johnny Football?

Carnac

Reaction Score
Hard enough to make a team in the WNBA without bringing any possible character issues into play. I have not seen her play a lot but was not impressed by her play in the summer tournament vs Canada but there was a strange dynamic on that team. I don't think a lot of the U.S. players did as well as they could have.

We'll find out Monday if its a minor slap on the wrist (minor violation) or a sit out more games major violation.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
In Williams' absence, freshman Anriel Howard pulled down a tournament-record 27 rebounds in the win over Missouri State. Twenty-seven!

It will be interesting to see what happens when A&M plays Florida State.

Reaction Score
Wasn't that before Hernandez and Incognito and Johnny Football?
Hernandez (and Plaxico Burris): You can't play if you're in jail.

Incognito (and Greg Hardy): Back and playing - talent trumps character if there's enough talent.

Johnny Football (and Ray Rice): Talent doesn't trump character when there isn't enough talent.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Without knowing what the infraction was, it's hard to assess what the proper penalty should be, but it' pretty easy to suspend one of your better players when your upcoming opponent has little chance of even keeping the game close. I'll be a little more impressed with Gary Blair if she sits against FSU.
impressed? without knowing? what if its a minor infaction and he lets her play you'd think Gary is soft?

remember when Geno sat Stewie and Tuck... but we knew he wouldn't do it for the South Carolina game.

These coaches arent foolish BUT if Courtney needs to sit longer so be it

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Hernandez (and Plaxico Burris): You can't play if you're in jail.

Incognito (and Greg Hardy): Back and playing - talent trumps character if there's enough talent.

Johnny Football (and Ray Rice): Talent doesn't trump character when there isn't enough talent.
and of course we're talking about a billion dollar sport against womens college basketball

Reaction Score
and of course we're talking about a billion dollar sport against womens college basketball
Yes, but at a level in this sport that can be career-defining for a coach. Admire his character and principles (I guess, not having the slightest idea what rule was violated or how long the suspension will be...@#$%^??)

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yes, but at a level in this sport that can be career-defining for a coach. Admire his character and principles (I guess, not having the slightest idea what rule was violated or how long the suspension will be...@#$%^??)

Each team has their own set of rules and regulations. As mention before by other posters, this is the second time Williams has been suspended for violation of team rules. We (the public) to my knowledge never found out what the violation(s) were. We are not entitled to know or find out. We do not need to know. Those are "in-house" matters that should be kept in-house, and confidential.

Since team rules are policed at the team level, whatever penalties or sanctions that are imposed by the head coach is viewed by the team, coaching staff and outsiders as sufficient. I'm sure Texas A&M head coach Gary Blair has talked to his coaching staff about this matter and decided on a punishment that fit the violation to his and the staff's satisfaction. Since we'll probably never know what the violation was, Blair's pliability concerning this matter can not be measured.

Blair's Aggies (22-9) had no trouble advancing to the next round by defeating Missouri State 74-65. Williams' replacement in the starting line-up, freshman Anriel Howard set an NCAA tournament record with 27 rebounds and 9 points, to help Texas A&M beat Missouri State. They meet Florida State (24-7) tomorrow @ 6:30 PM est on their home floor in College Station Texas.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Each team has their own set of rules and regulations. As mention before by other posters, this is the second time Williams has been suspended for violation of team rules. We (the public) to my knowledge never found out what the violation(s) were. We are not entitled to know or find out. We do not need to know. Those are "in-house" matters that should be kept in-house, and confidential.

Since team rules are policed at the team level, whatever penalties or sanctions that are imposed by the head coach is viewed by the team, coaching staff and outsiders as sufficient. I'm sure Texas A&M head coach Gary Blair has talked to his coaching staff about this matter and decided on a punishment that fit the violation to his and the staff's satisfaction. Since we'll probably never know what the violation was, Blair's pliability concerning this matter can not be measured.

Blair's Aggies (22-9) had no trouble advancing to the next round by defeating Missouri State 74-65. Williams' replacement in the starting line-up, freshman Anriel Howard set an NCAA tournament record with 27 rebounds and 9 points, to help Texas A&M beat Missouri State. They meet Florida State (24-7) tomorrow @ 6:30 PM est on their home floor in College Station Texas.
Nice post.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Carnac - thanks for a very sensible post. Comparing a team violation to the kinds of things that pro players have done to draw the interest of legal authorities and or league office sanctions is way out of line. 'Crimes' like missing a curfew, being late to a practice, or skipping a class have all been known to invoke 'team discipline' and hardly egregious actions by a college student. It may have been a little more serious than that to miss a whole game, but we will never know what it was. The other CW missed a start that probably made USFs contest a little closer than it would have been and may have been another form of team discipline. Jose will probably never tell us what it was, and we do not have the 'right' to know in that case either. And we will never be in a position to determine if that punishment (if it was a punishment) was appropriate either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom