Tevin Mack (Committed to Texas) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tevin Mack (Committed to Texas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'd like to keep the New England theme going. I really like watching Sharma play. I don't know who shut down that recruitment, whether it was UConn or the player.

Reaction Score
Sharma is a proto-typical UConn center. Athletic, can run, jump, block shots and rebound, but also needs to develop his O beyond dunks. Stone should be UC's #1 target at center, but I'd like to see Sharma more in the recruiting mix than he is. The focus, both ways right now, seems to be with Wisconsin and BC. Also, he's an Ivy league level student.

Reaction Score
The Squid gets who he wants most of the time- and if they want to play for the Squid they are not UCONN material. I am not saying that he does not get the best talent every year- he does. But I also think he has single handedly made college basketball a less interesting sport- and it is my favorite (obviously).
I'd rather win a title every 4 years (so spoiled) then be in the FF every 2 years and have a bunch of posers on my team. I really don't know how the Kentucky fans can stand it.

Reaction Score
Enoch has "exploded on the scene," sure. But he picked UConn over who? Memphis, BC, Oregon? I'm not saying he's not a good player, but this stuff on here about Ollie and crew dominating the recruiting scene is a little overblown and definitely premature.
Def some validity to ur post but also I think many coaches didn't want to put in the time bc he was a lock to UConn it seems with being local, family and him being huge fans and him being on campus a bunch + quick connection.

I say this as someone that is really turned off by the crazy hype we're seeing on unheralded Lubin. I can't even open those threads anymore.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
While this is true, I think it's telling that the two local kids we focused on committed early. The first week Enoch broke out the talk was that KU were in for him hard, but as soon as we offered everybody just peaced out. Adams committed early in the summer - right after Louisville started showing interest - because it was no contest.

I think, once KO has a full 4-year cycle at the helm under his belt, we're going to be really, really serious about protecting our turf. I know we already missed out on Heron (2016 swingman), but we're considered strong favorites for the two best 2017s in New England, which is something that was never true under St. Jim.

Given how strong NE basketball is getting after 2 "down" decades, this is a very good sign. It may not be a traditional way of out-recruiting the heavy-hitters, but if it works, and if we can add the occasion top-2o talent on top of the local best (Hamilton, Purvis, maybe Stone?), then I like - love - our chances of remaining an elite, national program.
That 4 year cycle is the key imo. This is the first "real" recruiting season for KO. Last season there were restrictions plus the change at the helm both of which handicapped recruitment for last year and this year.

KO has piqued the interest of many kids and programs in the country. He's getting the type of press necessary to generate excitement. But there is probably prudent caution. They don't have KO under the microscope to understand how incredible he is as a coach and person. Plus there have been other coaches that have started out strong and flamed out.

Recruiting is about relationships and history. KO is relatively new to the scene. I would imagine his approach to recruitment was different under JC than currently. People who were in favor of getting a top notch recruiter into the program are correct in understanding the importance of these parameters. We'll see how things play out but I'm in the camp that believes KO will ultimately be as good a recruiter as anyone in the country. The immediate success under his leadership plus getting Purvis and DHam last season and Adams and Enoch this year should provide KO with enough weapons to keep UConn in the forefront. With a little luck and KO's excellent leadership I believe it won't be long before the other blue bloods will be many recruits second choice when UConn comes calling.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
I hate that some posters on here think that just because Clarke didn't commit on his official means that we aren't going to get him. The majority of prospects do not commit on officials. Most of them go on a bunch of them and decide within a few weeks afterward. Just because Enoch did it does not mean that we are out on every recruit who doesn't commit during their visit.

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score
While this is true, I think it's telling that the two local kids we focused on committed early. The first week Enoch broke out the talk was that KU were in for him hard, but as soon as we offered everybody just peaced out. Adams committed early in the summer - right after Louisville started showing interest - because it was no contest.

I think, once KO has a full 4-year cycle at the helm under his belt, we're going to be really, really serious about protecting our turf. I know we already missed out on Heron (2016 swingman), but we're considered strong favorites for the two best 2017s in New England, which is something that was never true under St. Jim.

Given how strong NE basketball is getting after 2 "down" decades, this is a very good sign. It may not be a traditional way of out-recruiting the heavy-hitters, but if it works, and if we can add the occasion top-2o talent on top of the local best (Hamilton, Purvis, maybe Stone?), then I like - love - our chances of remaining an elite, national program.

Those two being Tremont Waters and Jermaine Samuels?? because Tomas Murphy (MA/RI) is right up there with them

Reaction Score
I hate that some posters on here think that just because Clarke didn't commit on his official means that we aren't going to get him. The majority of prospects do not commit on officials. Most of them go on a bunch of them and decide within a few weeks afterward. Just because Enoch did it does not mean that we are out on every recruit who doesn't commit during their visit.

I don't think anyone is thinking we have no chance but instead just hoped he was so sure he didn't go on any others. It is quite true that they rarely do verbal on the visit but people can hope. It would seem he needs to do his homework to see if he wants to stay home at VT , go elsewhere with plenty of PT or go to Storrs where you really earn your minutes and become a better player/person. This is the way to go for a kid in his position!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think it was the immediate offer to Mack that made people it was less than hoped for.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think it was the immediate offer to Mack that made people it was less than hoped for.

Reaction Score
I really like this kid a lot. Looks to be straight out of the Jeremy Lamb mold with a smooth jump shot and the ability to drive to the hoop.

Reaction Score
Nice clip. I would be perfectly happy landing Mack...

Training with Marseilles Brown in that clip! I knew that name rang a bell, but couldn't place it...thank god for google. Anyone else go to DC to watch the first 2 rounds in '98? The Elijah Allen game? Brown is the dude who was bombing away for Richmond in their big upset of B.J. McKie and South Carolina in the afternoon session. Great, exciting game.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
Sign him up and his trainer. Kid looks like he's got work ethic and a handle.

Reaction Score
He seems very underrated and looks like the best of the 3.
Agreed, I didn't pay much attention to him since it seemed like it would be too hard to get in with him this late in the game but after watching vids his offensive game looks like the most complete out of the wing options. Hopefully the visit happens.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
Nobody's a better athlete than Jones, but who's the better college basketball player ... Nobody knows. I'd be stoked if KO lands jones, Mack, or Clarke each for different reasons.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I love his shooting touch and he's got some Rashad in him, which could come in really handy. I'm not sure if he has the lateral quickness or not to be a good enough defender...often hard to tell from one or two videos. Excellent looking player and great to see how hard he is working!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom